About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice MCQ's in Otolaryngology Board exam

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by ENTCANADA, Feb 22, 2007.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ENTCANADA

ENTCANADA

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Does anyone know where I can find practice multiple choice questions for the Otolaryngology board exam? Everyone mentions how important they are for preparation but I can't seem to find any. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help!
  2. resxn

resxn

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Redacted for unintentionally and in error offending a fellow colleague
  3. ENTCANADA

ENTCANADA

Apparently you misunderstood me. I am NOT trying to get actual exam questions. If you read my note a bit more carefully, I was asking about PRACTICE exam questions, similiar to the ones online at the Elsevierhealth website. I find it offensive that you are implying that I am trying to in some way cheat the system. I am a Canadian Board certified otolaryngologist who had been practicing for 7 years. As I stated before, answering multiple choice questions takes a different skill set. Researchers and examiners, not only in medicine but in other health sciences recommend practicing multiple choice before taking an MCQ type exam. I would hope that you, as a recently certified otolaryngologist, will have more respect for your collegues in the future.
  4. resxn

resxn

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Whoa, there. Take it easy. I mean absolutely no offense. There are a number of residents (granted, not attendings) who have tried to obtain real questions from those who have sat through exam, so I am sory if I errantly assumed you may be asking for the same. And the last thing any well-intentioned physician needs is some board-nazi suggesting impropriety.

Sorry to have misinterpreted your intentions. All I was trying to say is that those questions (which you are clearly not after)are supposedly confidential and although I have been told that there are repositories of that information in various places, I wouldn't publicly try to obtain them.

To answer the true intent of your question then, I am aware of Osler having some, but they don't routinely hand them out--at least at the review class I attended. I wasn't even aware that Elsevier had any at all. The only other ones I've even seen are those for the in-service exam that are usually released from tests 8 yrs and older and those in the study manual for Bailey's. Oh, and there are the ones from the AAO-HNS Home Study Course but those are not really high-yield in many cases.

As for my reading skills--yes they probably need some improved comprehension.

And as far as my respect for my fellow colleagues, I have total respect in that I am humbled to even be an ENT among so many outstanding physicians. As for my respect for individuals, I offer it readily unless evidence suggests it needs to be earned.

Also, I'm 50% Canadian, genetically, for what it's worth, with 1/2 of my family living in Ontario, eh.
  5. aggernodi

aggernodi Private Practice ENT

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would suggest the Home Study Course put out by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. The same folks who write the questions for the Boards also help write the questions for the Home Study Course.