Practice Test with time left to spare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnB79

The Dragon Reborn
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always here people complaining about not having enough time to finish. I on the other-hand have way too much time left over. On the physical sciences I had about 28 minutes, Verbal about 15 and the Bio about 20-25. I took the practice test 6R from AAMC and scored a 22 8P 7V and 7B. I'm thinking that this isn't too bad because I have done no review or studying. But I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you rush through the questions? It's good to have time left but not at the expense of right answers.

If you have THAT much time left while taking the MCAT, you are doing something wrong....if nothing else than not taking enough time on the questions....might have done better had you used the full time.

I have heard people getting done early, but not with half an hour left! That's crazy :p

Not a miserable score for early in the learning process, to be sure. But - and I suppose this is obvious - perhaps you should spend some of those extra minutes going over your answers to find obvious problems.

In practice tests and on the April exam, I also finished early, although not as early as you. I had marked all the questions that I wasn't sure on and used the leftover time to review each one to make sure I had the most reasonable answer. My last practice exam (6R) was a 39.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks good, not everyone has time problems. But I wouldn't gauge it on one test. I always had between 10-15 min. left on Bio, but some physical science sections I would have 8 min. left and some I would go over. Same with verbal. On the actual test I had about 6 min. left over in physical science, 10 in Bio, and 8 in verbal.

I can't believe someone who finishes each section in under 30 minutes did well on the MCAT. Anyone who can average well over 2 PS questions per minute with accuracy, including reading the passages is beyond brilliant. That would make her the second coming of Will Hunting. She was probably too dumb to just void her test after the first section. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better.

dfleis said:
girl in front of me during the MCAT literally finished each section within 30 minutes. That doesn't mean she was doing great, right? Well, she did this in each section - if she was sucking it up, then she wouldn't have stayed for the rest of the sections? Some people just read and think a lot faster than most.

You don't know if she voided it at the end. You don't know if she was overconfident and didn't know enough to void. You don't even know if she was potentially smart and knowledgeable enough to score in the 30s and only scored in the teens or 20s because she went through way too fast.

It's much quicker to pick the wrong choices AAMC put in there for this purpose. If you got extra points for finishing early I would care.

JohnB79 said:
I always here people complaining about not having enough time to finish. I on the other-hand have way too much time left over. On the physical sciences I had about 28 minutes, Verbal about 15 and the Bio about 20-25. I took the practice test 6R from AAMC and scored a 22 8P 7V and 7B. I'm thinking that this isn't too bad because I have done no review or studying. But I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Echoing some earlier posters comments, maybe if you spent a bit more time, you'd get a better score. Then again, maybe not. Many times when I change an answer, I was right the first time, and changed it to an incorrect answer. Anyhow, come back and brag about how much time you have left when you get a score in the 30's.

The only sections I finish early consistently are Bio and Verbal. In the verbal section I finished 15 minutes early and scored an 11. I went back to check my answers, but didn't end up changing anything. I think 30 minutes is pretty fast. Then again my grammar school trained us very well in speed reading. In Bio I tend finish 5-10 minutes early, but never earlier than that. I think it's possible to finish early if one tends to read quickly. But the problem may be the OP needs to adequately absorb the information before moving on to the next passage.

I consistently finished the physical sciences in my practice tests 10 minutes early and getting scores like 11s and 12s.

Verbal was tough because I always ran out of time.

I finished biology consistently 5-10 min early scoring 10-12.

I finish most sections 5-10 minutes early and score 10-12's generally. Finishing 15-28 minutes early like the OP should mean that you could go back and get some more questions right.

OpenIntro said:
If you have THAT much time left while taking the MCAT, you are doing something wrong....if nothing else than not taking enough time on the questions....might have done better had you used the full time.

I have heard people getting done early, but not with half an hour left! That's crazy :p

I have way too much time left- I get very impatient ? on the Kaplan diagnostic I got a 27 but I think im too hyper I was about to jump up and do a headstand when they finally let us get up. I cant stand it ? but I can attest this to me never attending more that 30 mins of class through college ? I cant make myself study beyond 50-60 minute bursts maximum. I overcame this by forcing myself to circle ?toughies? and return and resolve them ? many times my answer on exams would change to the better ? its tough to discipline myself -- but that?s what I have to do to do better.
PS: I am NOT crazy...ok maybe a little .. :smuggrin:

Medikit said:
On the actual test I had about 6 min. left over in physical science, 10 in Bio, and 8 in verbal.

Interestingly, I had pretty much the same outcome on this last April exam... and I usually finish right on time.