Practicing for COMLEX PE retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,
I had to retake the PE and I have no one to practice with. I don't know what to do as I failed the humanistic portion. Should I hire an actor to practice with as all of my friends are busy with their rotations? I did my remediation at my school and they said everything is fine. Should I re-read the COMLEX book?

I am likely not getting any interviews this season and I am preparing to scramble. It's a disgusting situation inside and out. I have no idea why I failed this test at all.

I just feel like the one idiot out of 250 students who did not pass the PE.

Members don't see this ad.

Be more humanistic.

You are not the first person to fail the PE, and you wont be the last.
Just dust off and try again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do what you did the first time with respect to H&P and A/P, with the addition of some major sucking up to the patients.

I feel for you, I don't know how I'd handle it if I had to go back to Conshohocken.

Reactions: 1 user
If you just say, "I'm so sorry to hear that!" in response to every patient statement, you'll probably pass the humanistic portion. Practice your "soft eyes" too.

Smile.

Don't take yourself too seriously. Relax.

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the goodwishes and the advice. It has been almost 1 month+ and although I still feel rotten about myself, I am keeping my chin up and prepping the final prep.

Quick question, I did the Kauffman videos for my first PE attempt do I need them again? I have the book, so should that suffice?

Thanks

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the goodwishes and the advice. It has been almost 1 month+ and although I still feel rotten about myself, I am keeping my chin up and prepping the final prep.

Quick question, I did the Kauffman videos for my first PE attempt do I need them again? I have the book, so should that suffice?

Thanks

You failed the humanistic portion. I'm not sure the Videos/Book are something you need to spend a ridiculous amount of time on. Try a "What would mother Theresa do" approach. Approach them how you would a sibling/spouse/parent, don't be afraid to touch the patient. Consciously make eye contact when appropriate. Shake their hands when entering and exiting the rooms. Help them up and down if you need them to lay on the table. Lastly, above all else remember your plan with them are just suggestions, so make sure they are agreeable (if they aren't give them an alternative and to contact you if they change your mind) and ask of course last thing is to clarify if they have any questions.

You failed the humanistic portion. I'm not sure the Videos/Book are something you need to spend a ridiculous amount of time on. Try a "What would mother Theresa do" approach. Approach them how you would a sibling/spouse/parent, don't be afraid to touch the patient. Consciously make eye contact when appropriate. Shake their hands when entering and exiting the rooms. Help them up and down if you need them to lay on the table. Lastly, above all else remember your plan with them are just suggestions, so make sure they are agreeable (if they aren't give them an alternative and to contact you if they change your mind) and ask of course last thing is to clarify if they have any questions.

thanks for the post. im hoping this the excellent feedback ive gotten in my osces for inerpersonal skills will show through.

im a bit concerned though, bc i was wondering, if you passed one domain last time and for some reason don't meet the mark this time could they still fail u in theory?

so like for my retake, im going to make sure i do everything 100% for humanistic but lets say i screw up my diffeentials or dont do everything on the checklist, could they still fail me?

if i pass the humanistic domain this time but fail the biomedical domain, could they use my pass from last time to make sure i get a cumulative pass? i know im sounding paranoid but im so ansy after fidning out i failed this exam any input would be appreciated. i dont want to keep failing this exam and become a frequent visitor of conshhocken. ive done enough for the economy of that tiny town as it is. lol

also, since i retake it will my score come out sooner?

thanks

thanks for the post. im hoping this the excellent feedback ive gotten in my osces for inerpersonal skills will show through.

im a bit concerned though, bc i was wondering, if you passed one domain last time and for some reason don't meet the mark this time could they still fail u in theory?

so like for my retake, im going to make sure i do everything 100% for humanistic but lets say i screw up my diffeentials or dont do everything on the checklist, could they still fail me?

if i pass the humanistic domain this time but fail the biomedical domain, could they use my pass from last time to make sure i get a cumulative pass? i know im sounding paranoid but im so ansy after fidning out i failed this exam any input would be appreciated. i dont want to keep failing this exam and become a frequent visitor of conshhocken. ive done enough for the economy of that tiny town as it is. lol

also, since i retake it will my score come out sooner?

thanks

I am definitely not positive but I don't think there is a "cumulative pass" so you would have to pass both parts even though you passed the biomedical before. Also just from talking to other people I know that failed I don't believe you get scores any sooner if you are retaking. I'm pretty sure you are just lumped in with everyone taking the test whether you are retaking or taking the first time. But again, that info was just from talking to friends that have had to retake it.

Thanks guys I retook it at the end of October. I'm anxiously awaiting my score. The psychological impact that failing this exam has had on me are enormous. Since I have taken it, I have had 4 dreams about the patient encounters and finding out I failed the biomedical domain this time. In one of the dreams, I actually dreamed that I failed the exam 3 times. Gosh, this is so awful. I cannot wait til I found out I pass. *Fingers Crossed* Probably one of the worst things that has ever happened to me in life.

listening to this song repeatedly has kept my mind off of my retake results. the psychological impact and stress this has taken on my life is completely earth shattering. I sincerely doubt the NBOME even cares about the way they have ruined my life with those actors who don't know anything about humanistic qualities when the OSCEs were giving me high marks.