practicing in a different state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beccala33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to school in North Carolina and I hope to move back to NY after graduation. Does anyone know what I would need to do to practice in NY? I am seriously considering doing a residency - hopefully in NY - don't know if that makes a difference...

Members don't see this ad.

NY requires a wet lab for licensing. You'll have to take the NY MJPE.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly does the wet lab consist of, and do I need a certain number of hours of practice in NY?
If I choose to do a residency and end up in NY, do I still have to do the wet lab thing? It sounds terrifying.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

3 compounded prescriptions (capsule, ointment, solution usually), 3 hours to do them. Usually riddled with mistakes (overdoses, underdoses, incompatibilities, wrong drug, etc.). It's proctored. God help you if you get stuck making suppositories or some bs emulsion nobody uses anymore! It's not that bad---common sense stuff really.

Section(s) on clinical stuff: Patient histories given, MD or hospital adds more drugs, and you sort it all out (ADR's, interactions, etc.).

Law exam: start studying---it's a b*tch. Way too much regulation!

My sympathies to you.

Unless things have changed, NY used to require 300 intern hours prior to sitting for the exam. This may have changed.
I think you still have to take the wet lab even if you reciprocate from another state---again, correct me if I am wrong...

Do the hours have to be NY intern hours?

Do the hours have to be NY intern hours?

I don't believe so...

Check out the NYS Licensing site for more info.

www.op.nysed.gov/pharm.htm

Then click under "license requirements" on the left hand side. Scroll down to "MPJE"and "internship experience requirements"

Hope this helps...

I'm not sure what the hours as like and what you need. I just know that my P4 year took care of all the hours we needed to sit.

I took the part 3 in May. It was 2 days. The first day was written. It included prescirption checking and math. Both were easy if you're at all a competent intern. Math was simple. Rx checking was a little tricky but if you worked in a pharmacy you should do ok. It was both accuracy (albuterol MDI used to fill an rx for neb solution) and simple clinical (tussionex given 1tablespoon q4h and nuvaring changed qweek)

The second day was the compounding. I had to make capsules, an ointment and a IV bag. The capsules were basic and the board allows 10% deviation from the ideal capsule weight (30mg on a 300mg capsule). The ointment was fine (prerefine a couple powders and put into vasaline). the IVbag was to reconstitue powder in a vial with the appropraite diluent and add right amount to IV bad. You also had to add a second liquid in teh appropriate amount. With the IV, you had to verify and choose the correct diluent and IV bag solution/size and make sure there was no incompatibilites.

They grade lax on sterile techinque.