Practicing in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadridistaI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDNers,

I was recently accepted into AZCOM and will be attending there in the fall. With that being said, I'm from SoCal and wish to return back and practice there. What are some of the things that I need to know/do in order to make this happen?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

AZCOM has several rotations in LA so choose LA or any other California rotations to make connections with local programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Just apply for residency programs that are located in that area of CA? With that being said I think AZCOM has a one or two participating hospitals located in CA, trying to work your rotations in those could help with that transition

Members don't see this ad :)
Will I need to take an exam in order to obtain a license to practice in California?
Just apply for residency programs that are located in that area of CA? With that being said I think AZCOM has a one or two participating hospitals located in CA, trying to work your rotations in those could help with that transition

Will I need to take an exam in order to obtain a license to practice in California?

I would assume your 4 year Osteopathic Degree with successful COMLEX scores is sufficient. If CA has some additional, special requirements for practicing medicine I don't know a thing about it.

I would assume your 4 year Osteopathic Degree with successful COMLEX scores is sufficient. If CA has some additional, special requirements for practicing medicine I don't know a thing about it.
I see.. That's actually what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat, except I am waitlisted at every school in and near California. Looks like I will be in Tennessee for medical school. Some schools let you set up 4th year rotations where ever you like. I plan on doing my 4th year rotations in California at places I would like to apply to for residency, that way they know a face and personality attached to the application. Seeing as AZCOM is very close I am fairly you can even do 3rd year rotations in California. That will help you a great deal with landing a California residency.

What do you mean? Everyone who wants to practice in the US has to take the national medical licensing exams (USMLEs or COMLEXs) to do that. Individual states don't have their own exams, they just have requirements like number of attempts at exams, total time limit during which all exams must be taken, specific number of years of GME required, etc. All US medical schools (MD and DO) fulfill degree requirements for every state in the country.

As a DO, you must take the COMLEX Level 1, 2 CE, 2 PE, and 3, as well as have at least 1 yr of GME to get licensed by the osteopathic medical board.

Since you're planning to also attend residency in CA, I'd strongly recommend taking at least the USMLE Step 1, and maybe even the Step 2 CK. Most residencies in CA are ACGME accredited and many require the USMLE Step 1 for consideration.

For information about state-specific requirements for the licensing exams see here: http://www.fsmb.org/policy/public-resources/state_specific

For information about getting licensed in CA, see here: http://www.ombc.ca.gov/

In order to increase your chances of getting a residency in CA, I strongly recommend doing rotations out there and if possible getting connections with program directors in the programs you're interested in.

Also, in order to be board certified you will have to complete the specific residency and take any board exams that are required by the specific specialty board/organization.

You will need to apply for a California license with the California State Medical Board and fulfill all of their requirements. You do not need to do a residency in California in order to get a job in California. You can do your residency anywhere. Then you decide where you want to get a job and get a license in that state.

You can hold multiple state licenses at the same time (I have 5 active since I do locums). You will also need an NPI number, a DEA number, and sometimes a CS or DPS number depending on the state. It can take anywhere from 1-6 months to get a state license depending the laws of that state. Most states you do not have to take an exam. However, Texas requires a jurisprudence exam. Oregon requires an online pharmacy exam, etc. Just depends on the state.

Reactions: 2 users
^^ Doesn't Ca, along with some other states, require DO Interns to complete a traditional osteopathic internship at a DO residency? I forgot what this was called. I read in a different thread in the residency forum being called "TRI" - if I remember correctly.

Also, just for curiosity, I wonder how the merger, if it goes through, will change things.

I heard that DO's need to do an extra year of residency that MD's don't necessarily have to (required transitional year?). I thought that MD and DO residency lengths were the same. Can anyone comment on this?

I heard that DO's need to do an extra year of residency that MD's don't necessarily have to (required transitional year?). I thought that MD and DO residency lengths were the same. Can anyone comment on this?

Some states used to require a TRI to do an acgme residency. That doesn't exist anymore.

Some states used to require a TRI to do an acgme residency. That doesn't exist anymore.
so regardless MD/DO, residency length shouldn't differ (unless its a case like 3 year vs 4 year EM residency)?

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ Doesn't Ca, along with some other states, require DO Interns to complete a traditional osteopathic internship at a DO residency? I forgot what this was called. I read in a different thread in the residency forum being called "TRI" - if I remember correctly.

Also, just for curiosity, I wonder how the merger, if it goes through, will change things.
Not California. But you can generally get that waived.

What do you mean? Everyone who wants to practice in the US has to take the national medical licensing exams (USMLEs or COMLEXs) to do that. Individual states don't have their own exams, they just have requirements like number of attempts at exams, total time limit during which all exams must be taken, specific number of years of GME required, etc. All US medical schools (MD and DO) fulfill degree requirements for every state in the country.

As a DO, you must take the COMLEX Level 1, 2 CE, 2 PE, and 3, as well as have at least 1 yr of GME to get licensed by the osteopathic medical board.

Since you're planning to also attend residency in CA, I'd strongly recommend taking at least the USMLE Step 1, and maybe even the Step 2 CK. Most residencies in CA are ACGME accredited and many require the USMLE Step 1 for consideration.

For information about state-specific requirements for the licensing exams see here: http://www.fsmb.org/policy/public-resources/state_specific

For information about getting licensed in CA, see here: http://www.ombc.ca.gov/

In order to increase your chances of getting a residency in CA, I strongly recommend doing rotations out there and if possible getting connections with program directors in the programs you're interested in.

Also, in order to be board certified you will have to complete the specific residency and take any board exams that are required by the specific specialty board/organization.
Thank You very much for all this valuable info.. Is there a website where I can find info about the programs available in California?

Last edited:
Rotations/Residency..
When you are are a 3rd year student your school will give you career planning advice that will include this information. They will give you a token for VSAS that allows you to schedule electives at other institutions.
FREIDA is the website where you identify residencies.
There is nothing to be done now but do well in school!

Are you talking about residency programs? You will really need to decide what type of residency you want, what type of program you want, where, etc.

Here's a list of programs registered with ERAS:

https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/index.cfm

I'm interested in cardiovascular disease but I don't see it under the Osteopathic fellowship programs.. Could I still apply to the ones that don't say osteopathic?

I'm interested in cardiovascular disease but I don't see it under the Osteopathic fellowship programs.. Could I still apply to the ones that don't say osteopathic?

Fellowships are still quite a while away. Short term goals first lol. What you can do is an IM residency and then do a fellowship in CVD.

As long as you're ABIM-General, and ABIM-CVD certified, you should be fine.

Cardiovascular disease is the same thing as Cardiology. Cardiology is very competitive. If you want it you'll have to do an internal medicine residency followed by a Fellowship in Cardiology. There aren't a ton of DO Cards fellowships, so your best bet is going to be getting a good university ACGME IM residency, which will be even tougher in CA. There are some programs that take DOs, but you'll really have to work hard to get there. Be sure to do plenty of research of you can.

AZCOM has several rotations in LA so choose LA or any other California rotations to make connections with local programs.

From my understanding, those are usually the most competitive rotations. They are most likely full already at this point in the cycle.

Thank you all for the great I answers.. I really appreciate it.

tbqh AZCOMs rotations in Phoenix are far superior, especially since 'zona isnt stacked with med schools.. You can always do 4th year rotations wherever you want though.

Let me try to clarify some of the informations

To practice in California - you will need a CA medical license, and a job in California. DOs are licensed by the Osteopathic Medical Board of California (and not the Medical Board of California which licensed MDs)

Getting a job in California will be easier if you do a residency in California but that;s because it is easier to do a job search locally, but it is not required to do residency in California to work in California. Just like it is easier to get an engineering job in California if you attend a CA school than if you attend a school in Illinois - locals have advantages. How easy/difficult to get a job in California depends on your specialty, the degree of need (oversaturation vs severe shortage) as well as what unique skillsets you bring to the market. If you are in a field where it is supersaturated, then it may be hard to find a job in CA. If you are in a field where there is a severe shortage, you may have many competing offers. There are some areas of California where almost all fields are supersaturated due to location and desirability. Now if you are superspecialized, like a pediatric neurointerventional radiologist, and a place like Stanford or UCSF has an opening for a pediatric neurointerventional radiologist, then you're in luck. If they are not looking to hire, then you're out of luck (even if you train there). *plus academic medicine is a slightly different game than the private market but outside the scope of this post

Residencies in CA are more competitive in general because a lot of people want to either stay in California for residency or come to California for residency. In addition, there are a few high caliber university programs (Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD) that are extremely competitive, even for MD students. Doing a visiting student rotation as a 4th year student in one of the programs in California can help (if you excel), but can also hurt (if you are just average, or worse, are below average and don't know it).

To get an UNRESTRICTED license in California as a DO, you need to pass all 3 steps of COMLEX. California will not recognize USMLE scores for purposes of licensure for DO. However, you may need to take USMLE (step 1 and/or step 2) to be competitive for ACGME university programs. California does not require an osteopathic approved internship - only 4 states do (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida). That can be done either through an AOA residency, a TRI followed by regular ACGME residency, or ACGME residency where the first year (PGY1) is approved by the AOA via Resolution 42 (please do a search on SDN as it has been discussed multiple times in the past). For DOs, California requires completion of 1 year of residency, whether it is ACGME or AOA.

Cardiology is a competitive fellowship that you get after completion of Internal Medicine residency (or pediatric cardiology after pediatric residency). There are both ACGME Cardiology fellowships and AOA Cardiology fellowships. In the near future, both will merge and will all be ACGME cardiology fellowships. As it stands right now, AOA fellowships are available only to DOs, either those who did an AOA IM residency, or those who did an ACGME IM residency, petition the AOA to accept that training as AOA equivalent via Res 56, then do the AOA cards fellowship. ACGME cards fellowship is open to those who did a ACGME IM residency, or to a very understanding program director who will take an AOA IM graduate with the understanding that the training will not lead to ABIM Cardiology board certification (will have to petition the AOA to accept the acgme cardiology fellowship as AOA-equivalent and take the AOBIM Cardiology boards). This will be moot when the AOA and ACGME merges.

The boards mean two different things. For medical students, "the boards" is the medical licensing exam, either COMLEX or USMLE. For practicing physicians, the "boards" or "board certification" means being certified by one of the boards under the umbrella of the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties) or AOA Specialty Certifying Boards. You do not need board certification to practice medicine in the US. It may be required to obtain hospital privileges, to accept government administered insurances (medicare, medicaid), to work for government hospital (VA, civilian contractors at military hospitals), or private insurances. It may also be difficult obtaining malpractice insurance. But there is nothing stopping you from opening your own practice and seeing patients. Whether that's a good idea ... that's a different story.

Hope this helps.

Clarification of Terms (for those new to the game)
ACGME residency - (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education) usually on SDN is referred as MD residencies.
AOA residency - Postgraduate residencies accredited by the AOA instead of ACGME
TRI - traditional rotating internship, what old school doctors (both DOs and MDs) used to do after graduating from medical school and going into praactice (before residency was mandatory). Now available mostly in the DO worlds for those interested in an advanced residency that requires an internship before starting (ie Dermatology, Radiology, some Anesthesiology programs, Ophthalmology, etc) or for those who want extra time before starting residency.
USMLE - United States Medical Licensing Examination, what MD students have to take to get a medical license. Also the standardized exam used by residency and fellowship directors. Hence DOs taking USMLE since it is more familiar to program directors.
COMLEX - Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination - what DO students have to take to get a medical license. Also the standardized exam used by osteopathic residency and fellowship directors. Required to take Part 1 and Part 2 (and pass) to graduate from DO schools.
Board Certification - being certified by a recognized board, either an ABMS board or AOA board. Board-certification, in its common usage, does not mean passing USMLE or COMLEX.
ABIM - American Board of Internal Medicine
AOBIM - American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the info.
Let me try to clarify some of the informations

To practice in California - you will need a CA medical license, and a job in California. DOs are licensed by the Osteopathic Medical Board of California (and not the Medical Board of California which licensed MDs)

Getting a job in California will be easier if you do a residency in California but that;s because it is easier to do a job search locally, but it is not required to do residency in California to work in California. Just like it is easier to get an engineering job in California if you attend a CA school than if you attend a school in Illinois - locals have advantages. How easy/difficult to get a job in California depends on your specialty, the degree of need (oversaturation vs severe shortage) as well as what unique skillsets you bring to the market. If you are in a field where it is supersaturated, then it may be hard to find a job in CA. If you are in a field where there is a severe shortage, you may have many competing offers. There are some areas of California where almost all fields are supersaturated due to location and desirability. Now if you are superspecialized, like a pediatric neurointerventional radiologist, and a place like Stanford or UCSF has an opening for a pediatric neurointerventional radiologist, then you're in luck. If they are not looking to hire, then you're out of luck (even if you train there). *plus academic medicine is a slightly different game than the private market but outside the scope of this post

Residencies in CA are more competitive in general because a lot of people want to either stay in California for residency or come to California for residency. In addition, there are a few high caliber university programs (Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD) that are extremely competitive, even for MD students. Doing a visiting student rotation as a 4th year student in one of the programs in California can help (if you excel), but can also hurt (if you are just average, or worse, are below average and don't know it).

To get an UNRESTRICTED license in California as a DO, you need to pass all 3 steps of COMLEX. California will not recognize USMLE scores for purposes of licensure for DO. However, you may need to take USMLE (step 1 and/or step 2) to be competitive for ACGME university programs. California does not require an osteopathic approved internship - only 4 states do (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida). That can be done either through an AOA residency, a TRI followed by regular ACGME residency, or ACGME residency where the first year (PGY1) is approved by the AOA via Resolution 42 (please do a search on SDN as it has been discussed multiple times in the past). For DOs, California requires completion of 1 year of residency, whether it is ACGME or AOA.

Cardiology is a competitive fellowship that you get after completion of Internal Medicine residency (or pediatric cardiology after pediatric residency). There are both ACGME Cardiology fellowships and AOA Cardiology fellowships. In the near future, both will merge and will all be ACGME cardiology fellowships. As it stands right now, AOA fellowships are available only to DOs, either those who did an AOA IM residency, or those who did an ACGME IM residency, petition the AOA to accept that training as AOA equivalent via Res 56, then do the AOA cards fellowship. ACGME cards fellowship is open to those who did a ACGME IM residency, or to a very understanding program director who will take an AOA IM graduate with the understanding that the training will not lead to ABIM Cardiology board certification (will have to petition the AOA to accept the acgme cardiology fellowship as AOA-equivalent and take the AOBIM Cardiology boards). This will be moot when the AOA and ACGME merges.

The boards mean two different things. For medical students, "the boards" is the medical licensing exam, either COMLEX or USMLE. For practicing physicians, the "boards" or "board certification" means being certified by one of the boards under the umbrella of the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties) or AOA Specialty Certifying Boards. You do not need board certification to practice medicine in the US. It may be required to obtain hospital privileges, to accept government administered insurances (medicare, medicaid), to work for government hospital (VA, civilian contractors at military hospitals), or private insurances. It may also be difficult obtaining malpractice insurance. But there is nothing stopping you from opening your own practice and seeing patients. Whether that's a good idea ... that's a different story.

Hope this helps.

Clarification of Terms (for those new to the game)
ACGME residency - (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education) usually on SDN is referred as MD residencies.
AOA residency - Postgraduate residencies accredited by the AOA instead of ACGME
TRI - traditional rotating internship, what old school doctors (both DOs and MDs) used to do after graduating from medical school and going into praactice (before residency was mandatory). Now available mostly in the DO worlds for those interested in an advanced residency that requires an internship before starting (ie Dermatology, Radiology, some Anesthesiology programs, Ophthalmology, etc) or for those who want extra time before starting residency.
USMLE - United States Medical Licensing Examination, what MD students have to take to get a medical license. Also the standardized exam used by residency and fellowship directors. Hence DOs taking USMLE since it is more familiar to program directors.
COMLEX - Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination - what DO students have to take to get a medical license. Also the standardized exam used by osteopathic residency and fellowship directors. Required to take Part 1 and Part 2 (and pass) to graduate from DO schools.
Board Certification - being certified by a recognized board, either an ABMS board or AOA board. Board-certification, in its common usage, does not mean passing USMLE or COMLEX.
ABIM - American Board of Internal Medicine
AOBIM - American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

Ease of practicing in CA also depends a lot on which part of CA. Underserved areas like the Inland Empire or central CA are pretty open, and I don't believe it will be too hard to find a job there. You'll also get paid more too. Metropolitan areas are more saturated, and you'll get paid less.