Practicing in NYS. Saturated market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGreen87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have recently became interested in podiatry and am curious to know the current situation in the New York market (mainly tri-state area/Long Island). NYCPM sounds very appealing. However, living on Long Island there is an abundance of small practices around, along with the hospitals. I imagine its the same in NYC as well. Would it be foolish to consider working in this area from a financial standpoint? Is there any metropolitan area you guys recommend that serves podiatrists well. Although money is not the prime reason for me looking into this, NYC and Long Island has an extremely high cost of living. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I have recently became interested in podiatry and am curious to know the current situation in the New York market (mainly tri-state area/Long Island). NYCPM sounds very appealing. However, living on Long Island there is an abundance of small practices around, along with the hospitals. I imagine its the same in NYC as well. Would it be foolish to consider working in this area from a financial standpoint? Is there any metropolitan area you guys recommend that serves podiatrists well. Although money is not the prime reason for me looking into this, NYC and Long Island has an extremely high cost of living. Thanks.

I have heard of recent alumni settling down in the NYC area and burbs. There are still jobs and that. Also by the time you make it through this in 8 years, there will be a lot of DPMs retiring

From LI too, shadowed 3 doctors(huge age gaps between all of them) and now work for another DPM who has 5 practices between LI and CT. All of them said the same thing: no reason to be overly worried. By the time we finish up and start looking for jobs, a lot of older DPM's will be out of the workforce.