Practicing Medicine in Indonesia with a US MD degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adarm0190

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious if any of you may have more insight on this than what I've been able to find online. I'm currently a medical student in the United States, and although I will likely stay and practice in the US, I was wondering what the process would be for a person holding a US-granted MD degree to practice and be licensed in Indonesia. What tests do I need to take? Any experiences I have to undergo? Indonesia is still my country of citizenship, and I'm at least conversationally fluent in Bahasa. And I've at least thought about being dually licensed to practice in the US and in Indonesia.

Links to anything more authoritative than Yahoo! Answers or Quora are appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

Any doctor with foreign degree should follow the process of 'adaptation' in Indonesia. This is a 3 steps process. First you must register with the DIKTI (Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi) of Kementrian Pendidikan Nasional. Then, you register with the MKKI (Majelis Kolegium Kedokteran Indonesia). Final step is to approach your preferred medical school where you want to do your adaptation process. There is a rumour that Universitas Indonesia in Jakarta is closing its door to this process. After 1 year of adaptation process where you 'work' as an intern (ko-as) on one of the university hospital, you will then do a board exam to get license to practise. It seems like the board exam is much easier than USMLE or PLAB. And there are courses you can go to to pass this exam. So that's not a worry.

What you need to be aware of, is that this is a time-consuming process. In a sense that paperwork with DIKTI and MKKI can drag out for months or even a year.

I guess if you want a more authoritative source, you should contact DIKTI. They will give you an official answer that you can rely on better. However, I wonder if you remember how things are done in Indonesia? They are rarely straightforward and your persuasive people skill often counts much more than legality. If you know what I mean. It is still a country where you get position based on connection, not purely based on merit alone. Plus, 'working' as an intern and resident for specialty programme are either unpaid, attracts a fee or lowly paid in arrears. Although if you can make it through and be trained to consultant-level, you will be in extremely high demand.

Source? I'm Indonesian, graduated from China (so foreign doctor graduate). Although I am in the UK most of my friends are practising in Indonesia and had gone through the above process.

Here's a blog from a Filipino graduate who went for adaptation process in Indonesia.
https://adapz.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/langkah-langkah-dalam-mengurus-adaptasipersamaan-dokter-ln-i/

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

Any doctor with foreign degree should follow the process of 'adaptation' in Indonesia. This is a 3 steps process. First you must register with the DIKTI (Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi) of Kementrian Pendidikan Nasional. Then, you register with the MKKI (Majelis Kolegium Kedokteran Indonesia). Final step is to approach your preferred medical school where you want to do your adaptation process. There is a rumour that Universitas Indonesia in Jakarta is closing its door to this process. After 1 year of adaptation process where you 'work' as an intern (ko-as) on one of the university hospital, you will then do a board exam to get license to practise. It seems like the board exam is much easier than USMLE or PLAB. And there are courses you can go to to pass this exam. So that's not a worry.

What you need to be aware of, is that this is a time-consuming process. In a sense that paperwork with DIKTI and MKKI can drag out for months or even a year.

I guess if you want a more authoritative source, you should contact DIKTI. They will give you an official answer that you can rely on better. However, I wonder if you remember how things are done in Indonesia? They are rarely straightforward and your persuasive people skill often counts much more than legality. If you know what I mean. It is still a country where you get position based on connection, not purely based on merit alone. Plus, 'working' as an intern and resident for specialty programme are either unpaid, attracts a fee or lowly paid in arrears. Although if you can make it through and be trained to consultant-level, you will be in extremely high demand.

Source? I'm Indonesian, graduated from China (so foreign doctor graduate). Although I am in the UK most of my friends are practising in Indonesia and had gone through the above process.

Here's a blog from a Filipino graduate who went for adaptation process in Indonesia.
https://adapz.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/langkah-langkah-dalam-mengurus-adaptasipersamaan-dokter-ln-i/

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much for your help! This was really helpful... I've been out of the country for awhile, and no one else in my family is in healthcare, so this was greatly appreciated.