Pre-DDS considering switching to Dental Hygiene School. Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is evident that you are not serious about dentistry

I don't know about the U.S. but DHs in Canada do not get a job easily...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're having doubts then it's better to not pursue dentistry. You really have to be pretty determined that you want it at all costs. There are a lot of other options too, not necessarily just dental hygiene. Salary aside, I think if you enjoy healthcare enough then shadow some physician's assistants, nurses, physical therapists etc. There are a lot of other options out there. You're not necessarily stuck with dental hygiene as a career. I am a dental hygienst and I do find satisfaction in my career. I enjoy the relationships I develop with my patients and want to do more for them. While my salary is good and my work schedule is even better, I'm willing to go the extra steps to be able to do more for my patients hence why I applied. Some say it's not worth it but I think it's worth it.

You might want to look into becoming a dental technician. I'm not sure the requirements or schooling necessary but it may be enough dentistry and a little amount of school.

If dentistry interests you and you don't want to get into debt then look at going through the air force or something? Otherwise join the majority of us that will end up going into debt. My parents will not be helping with expenses and honestly I don't know any dental students that receive financial assistance from parents.

I don't look at dental school as 4 years of intense schooling. I look at it as two years of intense schooling and then 2 years of enjoyment. Of course I know all 4 years aren't easy but I can't wait to get to the clinical stage of dental school.

I have been discouraged before with school, applying to dental schools, and such. There were times when I said, "I'm not going into dentistry." I happened to say that a lot my senior year when I was having a rough semester. Then I matured a little bit and got a job at a research lab. There were certain aspects of the job I enjoyed but I then started to take things seriously and decided that I was going to be a dentist.

Adversity first proved to be discouraging but now I have learned more than ever that I will do what it takes to get into dental school. If you never find that type of attitude then I would suggest not going into dentistry.

I've been a RDH for over 15 years. For the majority of my career I have regretted not applying to dental school. I'm much older than you and decided not to live with regret any longer.
If I don't get into dental school, I'll know I at least tried, but the fact is, I love my job and the pay. I have a large following and when all is said and done as much as I want to be a dentist, I am still pretty happy as a dental hygienist.
The downside of hygiene is landing a good job, not just any job. I worked in less desirable offices early on in my career. My bosses sucked and so did the offices. It can take years to find the right fit. Another downside is the challenge of finding a full-time job with benefits.

It is evident that you are not serious about dentistry

I'm serious, just in a very questioning mood at the moment. I shadow, I volunteer, I get good grades and have plans to study for the DAT at the end of this year when myp prereqs are complete. I just have great doubts from time to time regarding finances and if I can ever handle all of it. Does anyone else ever have doubts creep into their heads? I know a handful of people in my group of friends that have applied to med schools this last cycle (with good grades and MCATs), spend thousands, and got no acceptances. That scenario is my worst nightmare! There's no way i could afford another application cycle after that. Not to mention, i would feel so beat down.

Thanks to everyone for listening to my little rant. It's nice to let out these doubts in somewhat anonymously on the internet...

Last edited: