Pre-dental student: 5th year, post bac or masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zawoogle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to enter my 4th year at UC Davis. I currently have a 3.0 GPA, 2.8 Science GPA. My DAT scores were PAT 21, QR 17, RC 22, Bio 18, GC 19, OC 22, TS 19, AA 20. As for extracurriculars, I am currently the Vice President of our Pre-dental club, I am interning at a Dental clinic, and I am also an intern for the pre-health conference that is held every year. I am not sure if I should pursue a Post bac, masters or come back and do a 5th year. What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you still have bio classes to take, do an informal post bac if you can't get into a formal one. Maintain a 3.7+ GPA in those courses and continue to shadow and volunteer. If you dont have more classes to take, do a masters

I'm in the exact same boat as you, graduated from Michigan but same stats. I'm starting a masters program at USF next week! I did a lot of research and it seems that a 5th year isn't the way to go if you are done with your major and requirements. Either do a post-bacc or masters :) Since it would take the same number of years, I decided having a MPH would be more beneficial in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the exact same boat as you, graduated from Michigan but same stats. I'm starting a masters program at USF next week! I did a lot of research and it seems that a 5th year isn't the way to go if you are done with your major and requirements. Either do a post-bacc or masters :) Since it would take the same number of years, I decided having a MPH would be more beneficial in the long run.

Would adcoms look down on an MPH as opposed to a biology or biomedical masters?

Why not finish what you started, then look for options?

Do a 5th year and retake classes you didn't get the best grade in.

Would adcoms look down on an MPH as opposed to a biology or biomedical masters?

The few adcoms I spoke with told me that if a MPH was something I was interested in I could do it, however the upper level science classes obtained in a biomedical masters program are much more likely to strengthen your overall application and be more useful to you during dental school.

The few adcoms I spoke with told me that if a MPH was something I was interested in I could do it, however the upper level science classes obtained in a biomedical masters program are much more likely to strengthen your overall application and be more useful to you during dental school.

I see. What concentration is your MPH in if you don't mind me asking?

I'm getting my Masters in Biomedical Science. I felt it would prepare me best for dental school.

Just get a master's at UC davis in biochem or a related bio field. You're already there, so it shouldn't be difficult to get into the program. If you're thinking about taking additional "post bac" classes, why not just slap a thesis on those extra courses and get an MS instead? Trust me, and do this.

Hi all,

I am about to enter my 4th year at UC Davis. I currently have a 3.0 GPA, 2.8 Science GPA. My DAT scores were PAT 21, QR 17, RC 22, Bio 18, GC 19, OC 22, TS 19, AA 20. As for extracurriculars, I am currently the Vice President of our Pre-dental club, I am interning at a Dental clinic, and I am also an intern for the pre-health conference that is held every year. I am not sure if I should pursue a Post bac, masters or come back and do a 5th year. What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks in advance!

As doc said, you've got a whole year to change your GPA. I would suggest you try your heart out for this semester, see how it has affected your GPA, and follow from there. If you manage to raise your GPA to a 3.2, maybe it would motivate you to keep at it and ace those second semester classes too. After all, these are the grades that will be shown on your application if you apply next summer. And you'll need an upward trend.

Having said that, in your position, or anyone's position with a gap year ahead of you and without stellar science scores, I would still apply to a 1 year masters MBS degree to show adcom that you can handle the didactic section of dental school. The grades you get in that MBS program won't be on your transcripts, but dental schools love to see you're still in the process of doing it.

Just get a master's at UC davis in biochem or a related bio field. You're already there, so it shouldn't be difficult to get into the program. If you're thinking about taking additional "post bac" classes, why not just slap a thesis on those extra courses and get an MS instead? Trust me, and do this.

Some schools actually recommend a non thesis based masters. I was told that a lot of thesis based classes give out A's. Idk if it's true or not though.

-

Last edited:
You've got to be joking, right? Do you know what goes into preparing a thesis? On top of the grad level courses, you have to publicly defend your thesis in front of the public, your colleagues, and professionals in your field. A thesis based master's program is not easy, and I highly doubt ADCOMs would favor a program without a thesis.

I wish I were joking. I'm a little skeptical myself. They said any is fine but they prefer the non thesis because you will strictly be taking classes that pertain to the classes you will take in d-school which is more important than research.Relax.... I'm just stating what I was told. I didn't belittle the thesis based program.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I were joking. I'm a little skeptical myself. They said any is fine but they prefer the non thesis because you will strictly be taking classes that pertain to the classes you will take in d-school which is more important than research.Relax.... I'm just stating what I was told. I didn't belittle the thesis based program.
:corny:

Reactions: 1 users

So earlier in the thread it was "they" recommended a non thesis program, but now you're saying "they" said any of the two are fine?

Let's just leave it at any of these programs will give you a better chance of getting admitted to a dent school.

So earlier in the thread it was "they" recommended a non thesis program, but now you're saying "they" said any of the two are fine?

Let's just leave it at any of these programs will give you a better chance of getting admitted to a dent school.

Yes that's what I was told. I should have clarified that "they" referred to differrnt adcoms from different schools. Plus, a thesis s gives you a solid backup.

Sounds good. I apologize if I sounded misleading.

Why did you specifically choose USF? I'm asking because I'm considering their program as well as the one at Iowa State due to costs. I can't afford a $40,000-50,000 SMP.

Yes that's what I was told. I should have clarified that "they" referred to differrnt adcoms from different schools. Plus, a thesis s gives you a solid backup.

Sounds good. I apologize if I sounded misleading.
No need to apologize. Let me know if I can help with the application/interview process, I know it's stressful. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user