Pre-human med looking into vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurame21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a 19 year old junior studying exercise science and I have had the goal of medicine for quite a while now. Lately I've been questioning my interest in human medicine as humans, while I love my fellow person, do not inspire my emotions and drive the way animals do. I'm beginning to fear that my motivations for that field might be materialistic deep down inside. For as long as I can remember I've loved animals. Most kids watched cartoons, I watched National Geographic and read zoology texts (I'm sure this in common with a lot of you!). I honestly feel like I understand animals more than I understand humans half the time (which I know is a major component of being a vet-working with the patient's owners). My interest in human health is relatively new. My love for animals is deeply engrained in my personality. As of now I'm speaking hypothetically, but what are the "usual" pre req's for veterinary school? Would my current major in exercise physiology suffice as a major? For the major I take the standard pre health requirements that we know all too well, with the addition of various exercise physiology classes, metabolism 1&2, human biochem, anatomy 1&2, and a few nutrition classes. I'm worried that this is an irrelevant major but I am pretty far along in it and it might be too late to switch to zoology or something of the like. If it's any help my knowledge of zoology from personal study is pretty extensive.
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I'm a 19 year old junior studying exercise science and I have had the goal of medicine for quite a while now. Lately I've been questioning my interest in human medicine as humans, while I love my fellow person, do not inspire my emotions and drive the way animals do. I'm beginning to fear that my motivations for that field might be materialistic deep down inside. For as long as I can remember I've loved animals. Most kids watched cartoons, I watched National Geographic and read zoology texts (I'm sure this in common with a lot of you!). I honestly feel like I understand animals more than I understand humans half the time (which I know is a major component of being a vet-working with the patient's owners). My interest in human health is relatively new. My love for animals is deeply engrained in my personality. As of now I'm speaking hypothetically, but what are the "usual" pre req's for veterinary school? Would my current major in exercise physiology suffice as a major? For the major I take the standard pre health requirements that we know all too well, with the addition of various exercise physiology classes, metabolism 1&2, human biochem, anatomy 1&2, and a few nutrition classes. I'm worried that this is an irrelevant major but I am pretty far along in it and it might be too late to switch to zoology or something of the like. If it's any help my knowledge of zoology from personal study is pretty extensive.
The easiest thing is look at the schools' websites to get an idea of the prereqs, there are differences between them. You definitely do not have to do an animal science degree though, I have a couple of friends who did biology. A degree isn't even "required" to get into vet school though the stats for that are pretty low. As long as you get the requirements in, and I can't attest for all, but I know at least some of the schools will take human or animal anatomy etc to fill the requirement, then you're good
Again, look at the websites and talk to an adviser. And also experience, experience experience lol. Good luck whatever you decide!!! (I think human medicine would be hard for me. Cutting human skin? Yuck! And a stinky dog is just a stinky dog... but a stinky person..... gag lol)

Hello, I suggest you look into it and compare/contrast human med vs. vet med, but you have some time as the veterinary pre-reqs are very similar to the pre-med ones. I'm friends with a pre-med student right now and we take all the same classes, haha. We also are majoring in biology at the same university of course so that helps. I suggest looking at various vet schools and looking up their specific pre-reqs to make sure you don't miss anything! Oh and you can major in anything you want as an undergraduate; English, Engineering, whatever! Just as long as you get the pre-reqs you're fine. Most people seem to major in bio of course because that satisfies most pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
(I think human medicine would be hard for me. Cutting human skin? Yuck! And a stinky dog is just a stinky dog... but a stinky person..... gag lol)
Bahahaha yeah me too! People seem to gross me out more than animals do! :laugh:

And people's poop. Ewwww

But definitely get experience to see what you are getting into. It's not all puppies and kittens, sadly. A lot of unfortunate crap and stress occurs in vet med (and you don't get paid nearly as much as the physician). It's pretty much a job that fits you if you can't imagine yourself doing anything else.

I was on the same path as you but decided vet med my senior year after thinking about doing human med. Make sure you have an answer to why you didn't do human med, bc they WILL ask it, and the "I like animals more than people" answer wont do.

Good luck! (oh, and I was a health promotion disease prevention major (say that 8 times fast). I had to go back to a state school to finish a few other prereqs).

Seeing naked animals: :)

Seeing naked humans: :eek:

BTW:

I am pretty far along in it and it might be too late to switch to zoology or something of the like.
I was half-way through my senior year when I decided to switch majors. The cost? An extra year.

Consider every option before saying it's too late for something.

Hello all,

At least at my undergrad institution, many of the exercise physiology classes offered had a disclosure saying "Does not meet the minimum requirements for professional school." These included, but were not limited to various "Intro to..." classes. So just check to see. :)

I was in a similar situation. I graduated with a bio degree from a university which had a very good animal science program. My original intent was to apply to med school, but during my senior year I began really having doubts as to my motivations behind wanting to go to med school, similar to yours. I graduated, got a job as a vet tech, and decided to apply to vet school.

My bio degree completely covered the pre-req's I needed to apply to LSU, and I enrolled in college again for a couple more quarters to get an Animal Nutrition class and a General Animal Science class for a few of the other vet schools I applied to, along with a few I thought would be relevant to vet school.

My advise would be not to change degree paths, but to continue to take those classes along with some of the prerequisites that will be required to apply to vet school. You don't have to have a degree in order to get accepted, either. You could finish your exercise phys degree while taking necessary prereqs and apply this year. If you don't get in, you'll have even more of your degree/prereqs/relevant classes completed for next year's application cycle. Another year of college won't hurt you, either way. :)

I can't say enough how much I think my 2 years of full-time work as a vet tech enhanced my application. Many people have 'years' of experience at vet clinics, but it's only summer/part-time/after school, so you don't have the same amount of hours of exposure to the profession. If you can apply and do this year, and don't get in, you can get a job at a clinic while you're applying for the next year's cycle. :)

I think it's a win-win situation. If you can apply now, do so; but don't be too disappointed if you don't get in this coming cycle...that just leaves you more time to get experience!

Hey. Having been pre-med until the June before applications, it is totally possible to get everything done before applications are due. I have worked with a handful of vets who applied to both vet and med school simultaneously and were successful in both (although def not the norm).

Interning/shadowing with vets will definitely be helpful, both showing you the field and if its right for you and also for letters of recommendation. Just be sure, as I think someone mentioned earlier, that you look at what classes each school requires and make sure to knock those classes out (i.e. biochemistry, microbiology, orgo, etc.). Fortunately, many of the recommended med school classes are also recommended (or in some cases required) for veterinary school.

Also, it helps to get both large and small animal experience, even if not for a ton of hours in one, to help diversify experience hours (and research is a huge plus for both med and vet!)

Good luck with whatever way you go, just know both are doable!

My boyfriend was an exercise phys major in undergrad (we went to the same undergrad) and we took some of the SAME classes. Basically he had two choices in his major, either to go the research/basic science way or the clinical route. He chose the research route and took classes along with me that satisfied his major requiremants, at the same time I was taking my pre-vet pre-req's. I would look at what is specifically required for your major, and if you need to take some electives those could be your pre-req's??

Also, adcoms LOVE people with other backgrounds who have been, and will continue to, apply it to veterinary medicine. One aspect that could combine the two is working in an equine field with racehorses on muscle atrophy, cardiac function, gate/lameness, etc.

Good luck!

Reality check: Makes sure you know the HUGE financial sacrifice this choice will entail.

Are you willing to give up having a really comfortable life for a likely eally not-so-comfortable life financially?

Easy to say yes before you see the numbers.

Reality check: Makes sure you know the HUGE financial sacrifice this choice will entail.

Are you willing to give up having a really comfortable life for a likely eally not-so-comfortable life financially?

:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Unfortunately, this is a really important step. Be sure to read the doom and gloom threads about the future of the profession, salaries, vet school tuition, etc.. If your heart is still in it, welcome to the Crazy Club and we will all support you 110% :D. If it scares you off, no one will blame you. I question my own sanity sometimes, for what it's worth!

Hi and welcome. I think the only way for you to know if this is right for you is to get some experience in the field... whether that is through shadowing, volunteering, or getting an entry level job.

I'm another pre-med turned pre-vet, although I didn't make the transition directly and considered other careers in the meantime. I will be honest... there are definitely days that I wish I was in med school, because of the money, the fun toys you guys have (I'm a sucker for machines haha), and because I (probably foolishly) think that it would be easier to not keep all these species straight... but ultimately my heart is in vet med in a way that human med would not be fulfilling enough to pursue that route. Only you can decide human versus vet versus another career entirely :) The more experience you get with each field, the more you will know what you want. And stick around, many of the pros and cons of vet med are discussed on here from time to time.