Pre-Interview Dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDSlacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend wearing to pre-interview dinners for derm. I am attending an interview next week where they have a reception with faculty and residents and then a dinner with the residents afterwards. For guys, do you recommend just wearing a shirt and tie (similar to what would be worn in clinic) or do you recommend a blazer or something a little more formal?

Members don't see this ad.

There's an entire SDN fashion interview thread in Allo, but I would go business casual. Shirt and tie to clinic might be too overdressed, but you're always better off being overdressed than underdressed. The preinterview dinner is for you to get to know the residents (faculty if they show up, which they may not). It's more to figure out that you're affable, are able to get along with others, aren't too tightly wound up (which is hard a little bit, bc it is a derm interview and you don't want to be "blackballed"), etc. It's also a way to notice any red flags.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory? Heheh

Yah, business cas. Tie if you're a guy. Err on the side of slightly overdressing.
I ain't namin' programs. lol. Let's just say certain programs (i.e. in the Northeast) have residents that are not really the nice, affable, friendly type, but more the "I'll be your friend, tell me everything I won't tell", competitive, backstabber, inquisitor vibe. It's sometimes that person's quirkiness but some times its the derm program faculty culture that then has an affect on their residents.

Emory? Heheh

Yah, business cas. Tie if you're a guy. Err on the side of slightly overdressing.

Most people would argue that one should not wear a tie, hence the inclusion of casual in "business casual."

At my prelim interviews so far, the men (residents as well as prelim and categorical interviewers) wear a blazer with a dress shirt and jeans (+/- pocket square)

Most people would argue that one should not wear a tie, hence the inclusion of casual in "business casual."

At my prelim interviews so far, the men (residents as well as prelim and categorical interviewers) wear a blazer with a dress shirt and jeans (+/- pocket square)
I definitely wouldn't wear jeans - too casual. Your prelim interviews (where they know you're only going to be there a year) are a little different than a derm interview in terms of scrutiny, whether justified or not. Don't bust it over something so minor that you can easily change.

Whatever you do, make sure you wear your genitals inside your pants. I found this out the hard way in Indiana. It was 15 degrees out and my cremaster was working overtime that night, I'll tell you that much.

Reactions: 1 user
When I think back, I guess a lot depended on the venue. Pizza place= no tie. Nice Sushi place = tie.

I guess in the end, either should be perfectly fine...I'd say no to polo shirts though...I'd keep it button down.

Yea I wish it knew where the dinner was because that would really help with the clothing choice.

I just got an interview for a dermatology program with a pre-interview dinner scheduled. I'm unfortunately interviewing at another derm program the day before (finishes at 5:00 PM) in another city and won't be able to make the pre-interview dinner.

There was only one available date. How bad is it that I won't be able to attend the dinner?

I just got an interview for a dermatology program with a pre-interview dinner scheduled. I'm unfortunately interviewing at another derm program the day before (finishes at 5:00 PM) in another city and won't be able to make the pre-interview dinner.

There was only one available date. How bad is it that I won't be able to attend the dinner?
I think it will be fine. You have a perfectly valid excuse. Everyone knows how derm interviews are scheduled and there are likely to be conflicts. Obviously it would be best if you could make it, but I don't think it tanks your chances. When you have them back to back like that, the only possible way to make it is either fly that same night or fly the next AM. And honestly, if a program is really going to hold that against you, then it's really not a good program to be at (they won't though).

Yea I wish it knew where the dinner was because that would really help with the clothing choice.

You could always consider emailing the program coordinator to ask what the typical dress is like for the preinterview dinner.

I matched at a program where I didn't attend the interview dinner. You'll be ok

do you still go for business casual if the dress code explicitly says casual?

do you still go for business casual if the dress code explicitly says casual?
I wouldn't go too casual -- like jeans, for example. Better to slightly overdress than underdress.