Pre-Interview Letter of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to send a letter (email) to a two schools I am very interested in, one local and one not too far away. I felt I have the stats to get interviews outright, and I don't think there is anything in particular in my app that is holding me back (based on other interviews). But it is getting late in the cycle and i want to write letters to see if I can get a look for an interview.
Has anyone written such a letter, and if so, what did you include in this email (post the body if possible). Also, does it matter if this is by email or formal written letter sent through snail mail?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to send a letter (email) to a two schools I am very interested in, one local and one not too far away. I felt I have the stats to get interviews outright, and I don't think there is anything in particular in my app that is holding me back (based on other interviews). But it is getting late in the cycle and i want to write letters to see if I can get a look for an interview.
Has anyone written such a letter, and if so, what did you include in this email (post the body if possible). Also, does it matter if this is by email or formal written letter sent through snail mail?

I did this for my top choice - BY MAIL (I thought it should be more formal). I thanked them for taking the time for reviewing my application, and acknowledged the time and effort they put into the application season. I then explained that I felt although I explained to them previously why they were a good match for me, I never explained why I was a good match for them. I then took some time to explain why I thought I was a good match for them, and how I wanted to make the city home, and gave examples of when I realized I saw myself working within their community and practicing there. I tried to be very personable and added some humor. I received an interview invite the day after they received it! So I think it definitely helped!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I did this for one of my top schools, and it really worked! I knew my MCAT was keeping me from getting interviews so I emailed the dean of admissions and asked if such a letter would be considered. He told me to email it to him directly. I sent a word doc PDF explaining my interest in the program due to its affiliation with a veterans hospital as a former soldier. I sent an additional LOR from a doc and an updated transcript. I got a call from his secretary the next week for an interview. Definitely give it a shot!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an email LOI to my top choice, explaining why I was specifically interested in their program. I gave them updates of things I've been doing this semester as well. Thirty minutes later the dean of admissions emailed me back and said someone had just canceled for their next interview date (3 days later)- could I make it? Told me if not I would receive an invite for a later date but I made that trip three days later. Obviously, from personal experience, I would really encourage you to send an update/interest letter. It might not help but it definitely won't hurt.

By the way, Doc McCoy, I noticed by your signature that you made your choice. Congrats- it's a great school.

I sent both email and snail mail just in case. I just wrote about my continued interest in the school and its mission, an update on my activity, and how the school is one of my top choices. I don't know how effective it is, though, because I haven't had much success with it.

I sent an email LOI to my top choice, explaining why I was specifically interested in their program. I gave them updates of things I've been doing this semester as well. Thirty minutes later the dean of admissions emailed me back and said someone had just canceled for their next interview date (3 days later)- could I make it? Told me if not I would receive an invite for a later date but I made that trip three days later. Obviously, from personal experience, I would really encourage you to send an update/interest letter. It might not help but it definitely won't hurt.

By the way, Doc McCoy, I noticed by your signature that you made your choice. Congrats- it's a great school.

How good of a school it UT San Antonio? I got accepted there...and I'm considering going there...the vibe was really friendly and laidback. It's just I'm trying to stay in NYC for my long-term boyfriend..it's so tough. I don't know if the the schools I could reasonably get into (such as Downstate) is worth the extra money etc. I really don't know how good of a school Downstate is..

I sent a pre-interview LOI to a couple of schools when I was applying. 1 never responded, 1 told me they rereviewed my app and were still not going to interview me at that time, and 1 interviewed me and ultimately accepted me.

What I sent pre-interview is at the bottom of my mdapps.

I am a big believer in LOIs. They work at some schools and not at others, however, I'm graduating in 6 months from a school I never thought I would get into and I was even told when they called to accept me that it was my 'persistence' that impressed them the most. I took that to me I nagged them into accepted me and I'm ok with it :)

How good of a school it UT San Antonio? I got accepted there...and I'm considering going there...the vibe was really friendly and laidback. It's just I'm trying to stay in NYC for my long-term boyfriend..it's so tough. I don't know if the the schools I could reasonably get into (such as Downstate) is worth the extra money etc. I really don't know how good of a school Downstate is..

did you get accepted into any other texas schools? were you pre-matched into san antonio?

can anyone else comment on this? I'm thinking about doing this for my state school (top choice) because they screen secondaries (if you receive the secondary=automatic interview invite)......and I don't want to take the chance of getting screened out. How should I approach this, send the mail to admissions after I submit my AMCAS app? or should I e-mail the dean/ admissions office to see if it will even be considered?

can anyone else comment on this? I'm thinking about doing this for my state school (top choice) because they screen secondaries (if you receive the secondary=automatic interview invite)......and I don't want to take the chance of getting screened out. How should I approach this, send the mail to admissions after I submit my AMCAS app? or should I e-mail the dean/ admissions office to see if it will even be considered?

You loose nothing with the LOI. Even if they say it can't be considered, it will be.