Pre lim and categorical IM at the same program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I think my question has been covered however, I wasn't able to find any recent threads.

1) I'm only interested in IM. I was thinking about applying for categorical and prelim IM spot at the same program. Just trying to increase my chances especially if they don't feel comfortable giving me a spot in the categorical. Perhaps pre lim spot which a chance to prove myself. That's my reasoning.
Is that frowned up because i don't want to screw myself even more.

2) Do i need to indicate my PGY-2 interest while applying for the prelim spot?

3) If i do have to indicate my PGY-2 interest can i just say IM?

4) If i end up applying to categorical and pre lim spot, can i indicate the following somewhere or is it just ******ed? "I'm really interested in your program and would consider a Prelim position with the idea of proving myself to you should you not rank me for a Categorical position."

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, because my stats are poor.
Pound for pound, prelim is a hair more competitive than categorical.

You'd be much better served by applying broadly to a range of community/Univ programs, not wasting your money on the top X places, and having no geographical limitations.

You are competing with the Derm, Radiology, EM, Neuro and Anesthesia applicants for the pre-lim spots.
Many of these guys have some pretty impressive stats.

That makes sense. What about transitional spots?

That makes sense. What about transitional spots?

There are even fewer of these. About 800 spots in the country.
And they are even more competitive than prelim IM. If you're "not competitive" for Cat IM, forget TY.

You'd be much better served by applying broadly to a range of community/Univ programs, not wasting your money on the top X places, and having no geographical limitations.
Did you even read this post of mine? Do this.

There are even fewer of these. About 800 spots in the country.
And they are even more competitive than prelim IM. If you're "not competitive" for Cat IM, forget TY.

Did you even read this post of mine? Do this.
I did read it and I am doing this as well. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it.

I know that community programs are easy to go into, but was not sure about Univ programs. Are they easy to go into?

I know that community programs are easy to go into, but was not sure about Univ programs. Are they easy to go into?
I think University programs are much harder to get in because most, not all, offer more such as: name, networking opportunities, research, more resources. Plus they are usually in urban setting.

I think University programs are much harder to get in because most, not all, offer more such as: name, networking opportunities, research, more resources. Plus they are usually in urban setting.

thats what I thought - thats why I avoided most university programs and stuck to FM community and rural programs due to my low stats.

thats what I thought - thats why I avoided most university programs and stuck to FM community and rural programs due to my low stats.
Yea, i hear you. But it is what it is. Just gotta work hard and make most of the opportunity. At the end of the day, it's all on you.

Reactions: 1 user