Pre-lim med/Specialty year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerofequality

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed in ERAS that for KU ( and likely other programs), in addition to the Medicine-Preliminary option it also lists options like Med-Prelim/Radiology, Med-Prelim/PM&R, Med-Prelim/Dermatology, Med-Prelim/Radiation Onc.

I'm not familar with this, so I wanted to ask what this means? Do you have to be applying to the stated specialty to be applying to these programs or is it a mix of the said specialty and preliminary medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed in ERAS that for KU ( and likely other programs), in addition to the Medicine-Preliminary option it also lists options like Med-Prelim/Radiology, Med-Prelim/PM&R, Med-Prelim/Dermatology, Med-Prelim/Radiation Onc.

I'm not familar with this, so I wanted to ask what this means? Do you have to be applying to the stated specialty to be applying to these programs or is it a mix of the said specialty and preliminary medicine?
Those spots are reserved for the listed sub-specialty.

Those spots are reserved for the listed sub-specialty.

Gotcha, thanks. So in that case, would the prelim and the residency have to be at the same program then? (Ie, would I have to be a resident at said program to do an intern/subspecialty year at said institution)

Gotcha, thanks. So in that case, would the prelim and the residency have to be at the same program then? (Ie, would I have to be a resident at said program to do an intern/subspecialty year at said institution)
Yes. Typically, those spots are often over the institutional CMS resident quota and at least partially paid for by the advanced program. At least, that's how it works at my institution.