Pre-matriculation vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting medical school in the fall and I want to plan a pre-matriculation vacation. I'm looking to relax, party, and have fun! I'll be going with my girlfriend of eight years. Where would you guys recommend we go? Anyone been to Montego Bay Jamaica?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting medical school in the fall and I want to plan a pre-matriculation vacation. I'm looking to relax, party, and have fun! I'll be going with my girlfriend of eight years. Where would you guys recommend we go? Anyone been to Montego Bay Jamaica?
Norway or Netherlands

Reactions: 1 user
Jamaica all-inclusive resorts are a great option and affordable. Plus clothing optional beaches for the risqué! Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check Expedia and put all-inclusive on the search. The you can identify the options and read reviews on Trip Advisor. Also check the calendar in each resort webpage and you can learn which groups and festivals are taking place at the time of your vacations to decide. PARTY VS ROMANTIC VS ADVENTUROUS. Remember that Mexico and Dominican Republic also have all-inclusive. http://www.expedia.com/All-Inclusive-Vacations

Reactions: 1 users
Check Expedia and put all-inclusive on the search. The you can identify the options and read reviews on Trip Advisor. Also check the calendar in each resort webpage and you can learn which groups and festivals are taking place at the time of your vacations to decide. PARTY VS ROMANTIC VS ADVENTUROUS. Remember that Mexico and Dominican Republic also have all-inclusive. http://www.expedia.com/All-Inclusive-Vacations
Never use Expedia. If you need anymore convincing than just google Expedia reviews.

Never use Expedia. If you need anymore convincing than just google Expedia reviews.

If you can't use groupon for your vacation expedia isn't bad sometimes expedia is the cheapest option, somtimes orbitz, it pays to use expedia to get ideas of where to go and when you find a place, look at each booking site to see if the price is cheaper somewhere else

If you can't use groupon for your vacation expedia isn't bad sometimes expedia is the cheapest option, somtimes orbitz, it pays to use expedia to get ideas of where to go and when you find a place, look at each booking site to see if the price is cheaper somewhere else
Expedia may be a. Good place to start but never book through them. It is better to pay a little more and not have to deal with their bullsh*t

This is super helpful guys, please keep the ideas flowing. @reapplicanthelpme2014 if you find a great deal please post here. Thanks!

I'm going to Bocas Del Toro, Panama in May. It is an amazing place, I would highly recommend it (ocean side partying/bars, awesome beaches, surfing, snorkeling, scuba). I have family friends down there so don't know much about Booking a room at a resort.

I'm going to recommend Punta Cana DR. Find an all inclusive with good reviews and you won't be disappointed. Pro-tip..when going international always pay a little extra for the nicer resort. Have fun OP!

Went down to Florida a few weeks ago, and I'm heading out to San Francisco in a week and a half. That's about it for now.

go to a sandals!! Went there for my honeymoon last year.. Sandals Whitehouse in jamaica! Worth every penny.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd stay in America for a vacation. Why would you want to be any place but the greatest country on earth?

edit: the first person to say, "Murika" doesn't get the original thought award.

Costa Rica is beautiful and relatively inexpensive. That's where we went for our honeymoon and it was fantastic

We did book thru Groupon and saved a bunch

I have seen many great deals in Groupon but I'm still skeptical but after reading your post I may take a chance. The Europe Trips sound amazing.

go to a sandals!! Went there for my honeymoon last year.. Sandals Whitehouse in jamaica! Worth every penny.

Approx. how much was your all-inclusive stay and who did you book it through?

Cheapcarribean.com was a wonderful resource with really thorough reviews and AMAZING prices.

I'd stay in America for a vacation. Why would you want to be any place but the greatest country on earth?

edit: the first person to say, "Murika" doesn't get the original thought award.
Actually I agree :). I am looking for short trips to do over the summer before starting DO school too. I considered going international but thinking about all the planning/costs and with very limited experiences, it's kind of hard to tell what is considered good and affordable. Since there are plenty of places in US I haven't been, I thought this would be a good time to explore a little bit. Will be going to Las Vegas, Arizona, Cali & Florida - all short, small trips. :)

Approx. how much was your all-inclusive stay and who did you book it through?
$4500 total. Booked through a traveling agent, but could've found same deal on Sandals website.

$4500 total. Booked through a traveling agent, but could've found same deal on Sandals website.

Wow! That's pricey. Glad you had you a good time.

Actually I agree :). I am looking for short trips to do over the summer before starting DO school too. I considered going international but thinking about all the planning/costs and with very limited experiences, it's kind of hard to tell what is considered good and affordable. Since there are plenty of places in US I haven't been, I thought this would be a good time to explore a little bit. Will be going to Las Vegas, Arizona, Cali & Florida - all short, small trips. :)

yeah man. no reason to get kidnapped by terrorists right before starting med school.

Has anyone gone on hikes/backpacking? Recommend any trails in North America? Not looking to spend more than 2 weeks though

yeah man. no reason to get kidnapped by terrorists right before starting med school.

I was also thinking of all the missing flights and airplane crashes that have been appearing on the news... def makes me nervous.

Cheap Caribbean and Apple Vacations usually have pretty good deals to the Caribbean, especially Jamaica all inclusives. If you just want to veg, drink, eat and sleep and not worry about additional costs, it's the way to go. I think we paid $100 per person per night plus airfare. That included alcohol and meals. Stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Hotel. You can easily "escape" the resorts by taxi if you want to hit some real spots like jerk stands. I also went to South Beach for a few nights and Key West for a week before my classes started.

Cheap Caribbean and Apple Vacations usually have pretty good deals to the Caribbean, especially Jamaica all inclusives. If you just want to veg, drink, eat and sleep and not worry about additional costs, it's the way to go. I think we paid $100 per person per night plus airfare. That included alcohol and meals. Stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Hotel. You can easily "escape" the resorts by taxi if you want to hit some real spots like jerk stands. I also went to South Beach for a few nights and Key West for a week before my classes started.

$100 per night is within my price range. Being from Florida I too, wanted to head down south for some fun in addition to a Caribbean vacation. Thanks, great post!

cheapcarribean def. went to DR last summer for $630 a person, 6 days, all inclusive food and alcohol including airfare from NYC

I am going to Hawaii this summer before school. Next year I am hoping to possibly take a trip somewhere in Europe.

My fiancé and I are going to be going to Punta Cana in Dominican for our honeymoon right before school starts. I think we paid about 3k at Costco for one of their vacation packages. All inclusive.

I'm going to the Dominican also, through groupon.
7 days, all inclusive. After airfare it was 975 a person lol. groupon is the best

I'm going to the Dominican also, through groupon.
7 days, all inclusive. After airfare it was 975 a person lol. groupon is the best

For sure. I was looking on there and it would have been cheaper, but it would have costed me like
1000 bucks just to get to where they flew out of. No flights from the west coast.

I have seen many great deals in Groupon but I'm still skeptical but after reading your post I may take a chance. The Europe Trips sound amazing.

I used Groupon for a trip to Europe a few weeks ago. It was an amazing experience and the price was awesome.

I am planning on going to Peru... with my s/o. Prices are a bit scary though for the Machu Picchu stuff. Anyone been and can recommend a travel company?

Norway or Netherlands

Given what is going on in Europe, its a bad idea. I would say a Caribbean cruise is a much better and safer idea.

The latter country would be a very bad idea.

Indonesia. skip the package tourists at those all inclusive resorts.