Pre-Med Advisor will advocate for us?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... Pre-med adviser said he will call the schools we applied to and advocate for us. By us, I mean those who applied through the pre-med office at my university. I didn't know this was even possible??! Is there any benefit to this? I know my pre-med adviser has some connections to certain adcom deans but can this call be of any influence in our application and for those still waiting on II? Any downsides to doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

So... Pre-med adviser said he will call the schools we applied to and advocate for us. By us, I mean those who applied through the pre-med office at my university. I didn't know this was even possible??! Is there any benefit to this? I know my pre-med adviser has some connections to certain adcom deans but can this call be of any influence in our application and for those still waiting on II? Any downsides to doing this?
This is like your Mom advocating for you. If your "advocate" is willing to throw weak students under the bus in favor of others, it's possible that they have developed a relationship with schools to which they are feeders, though.

Ask him if he advocates for all of his students. If the answer is yes, see Mom reference above. If the answer is no, be very cautious...

I suppose it's a bit different than your mom calling. If they were part of the committee letter writing process then it might have a positive impact(?), but it also might be redundant if they wrote a letter already. I don't suppose they'd be doing it if it hadn't worked in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it's a bit different than your mom calling. If they were part of the committee letter writing process (if applicable), then it might have a positive effect(?). It might be redundant if they wrote a letter already. I don't suppose they'd be doing it if it hadn't worked in the past.
If the advisor's success is dependent on the success of the applicant, by definition, his objectivity is compromised. It is only if the advisor has made a reputation for objective recommendations over time that a potential benefit for the candidate is possible.

Reactions: 1 user
How so, unless the call recipient recognizes the person calling?
I'll defer to y'all's knowledge. I'd guess any information they (the advisor) could provide would probably be redundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The adviser does not write the letters. The panel of professors who conduct the committee interview write the letter. All I remember is that whenever adcom deans come to our school for presentations or give talks to the pre-med students they seem to know our adviser fairly well. From the email he sent it seemed he is going to advocate for everyone. It just made me think what good can it really do but disturb the adcom's job?