Pre-Med but thinking Pre-Pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abazzi93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure why I haven't looked into Podiatry before but after doing some research today into the field, it looks like something I could see myself doing for a career. I am currently in the process of applying to DO schools and I'm not going to apply to podiatry schools this cycle. I was just wondering what I can do in this next year of college to look better for pod schools if I'm not accepted this cycle.

I'll be a senior this year. I have a 3.77 cGPA/3.89 sGPA. I got a 25 on the MCAT and I am re-taking it on September 18. Good ECs/Volunteering but nothing amazing. I'm going to plan on shadowing a pod during the year to see if this is something for me. Anything else you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Let us know how your shadowing goes, it's one of the best tools for anyone interested in the field! Your stats are solid for any of the 9 schools. You can also explore the school websites, or simply ask questions for students here.

As long as you have a pulse and a checkbook, you will get into pod school. Seriously, you can guess on every question on the MCAT, get say a 17-18 on the MCAT and still be accepted to at least 1 pod school. Pod school admissions are a joke.

Are you sure you don't want to do DO? Your 25 is on the low end for DO considering the average DO matriculant has a 27-28 but you do have a good chance with the newer DO schools like Campbell, Liberty, Marian, Rocky Vista etc. Plus DO cycle is longer than MD so even if your latest MCAT scores come out in October, that's fine.

No matter what people in this forum say, in the medical field, DPM is not equal to MD/DO. That's why the DPM salary is less than MD/DO salary and DPM's scope of practice is severely limited.

DO on the other hand is becoming increasingly more prestigious, their admissions standards have gone up by a lot in the past 10 years. 3 applicants for every DO seat. Plus the residency merger is happening so MD and DO will have the same post grad medical education. 2/5 of ACGME council seats will now be held by DOs. Within 5 years, 20% of all practicing physicians in the US will be D.Os.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crazy as it may seem, some people aren't in it for the prestige.

You know, people don't respect me because I went to a low tier Caribbean MD school (Windsor). The same people feel the same way about pods. True, life can be cruel.

As long as you have a pulse and a checkbook, you will get into pod school. Seriously, you can guess on every question on the MCAT, get say a 17-18 on the MCAT and still be accepted to at least 1 pod school. Pod school admissions are a joke.

Are you sure you don't want to do DO? Your 25 is on the low end for DO considering the average DO matriculant has a 27-28 but you do have a good chance with the newer DO schools like Campbell, Liberty, Marian, Rocky Vista etc. Plus DO cycle is longer than MD so even if your latest MCAT scores come out in October, that's fine.

No matter what people in this forum say, in the medical field, DPM is not equal to MD/DO. That's why the DPM salary is less than MD/DO salary and DPM's scope of practice is severely limited.

DO on the other hand is becoming increasingly more prestigious, their admissions standards have gone up by a lot in the past 10 years. 3 applicants for every DO seat. Plus the residency merger is happening so MD and DO will have the same post grad medical education. 2/5 of ACGME council seats will now be held by DOs. Within 5 years, 20% of all practicing physicians in the US will be D.Os.

We all would agree the MD/DO is not equal to DPM.
DPM is more similar to DDS.
Specialized training in one area of the body.
Although we do have thorough training in the whole body.

Give us unrestricted access to the ankle and below (you know that area of the body where we spend 7 years studying) and all podiatrists will be happy.
Which is becoming the norm anyways.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh I would go DO/MD in a heartbeat if I was accepted to either program. I'm just teasing the idea of pod school if I have to reapply next year.

Oh I would go DO/MD in a heartbeat if I was accepted to either program. I'm just teasing the idea of pod school if I have to reapply next year.

Then don't worry, you will be accepted to DO. Apply to atleast 10 DO programs, including all the new ones. Submit your AACOMAS now if you haven't already and fill out and submit your secondaries now.

Your lower MCAT is offset by your higher GPA so don't worry. Don't worry about a DO letter if you don't have one. You will receive multiple interview invites and atleast 1 DO acceptance.

You will be doing yourself and the pod community a favor. I'm sure the pods don't want someone who is more passionate about DO/MD than their own program.

As for MD, you really need to raise your MCAT to 28+ to have a serious shot with them.

Then don't worry, you will be accepted to DO. Apply to atleast 10 DO programs, including all the new ones. Submit your AACOMAS now if you haven't already and fill out and submit your secondaries now.

Your lower MCAT is offset by your higher GPA so don't worry. Don't worry about a DO letter if you don't have one. You will receive multiple interview invites and atleast 1 DO acceptance.

You will be doing yourself and the pod community a favor. I'm sure the pods don't want someone who is more passionate about DO/MD than their own program.

As for MD, you really need to raise your MCAT to 28+ to have a serious shot with them.

I'm already filling out a secondary for my best chance and top choice school (MSUCOM). As for the MCAT, I'm retaking it on Sept. 18.

Why don't you shadow a podiatrist now. Get a letter of recommendation from that doctor. Ask your professors that wrote you a LOR to just edit it to swap Allopathic or Osteopathic medicine to Podiatric medicine. Then apply for podiatry in January or February if you aren't getting any responses from DO or MD. It can't hurt to have a chance at an interview at a podiatry school on the table only to realize the next cycle that you do want to go down the podiatry route.

Abazzi, are you from Michigan? If so, MSU's DO program is rated among one of the best DO programs in the nation. They do accept a high amount of in-state students, including many MSU undergrad graduates.

Why don't you shadow a podiatrist now. Get a letter of recommendation from that doctor. Ask your professors that wrote you a LOR to just edit it to swap Allopathic or Osteopathic medicine to Podiatric medicine. Then apply for podiatry in January or February if you aren't getting any responses from DO or MD. It can't hurt to have a chance at an interview at a podiatry school on the table only to realize the next cycle that you do want to go down the podiatry route.

Abazzi, are you from Michigan? If so, MSU's DO program is rated among one of the best DO programs in the nation. They do accept a high amount of in-state students, including many MSU undergrad graduates.

My plan is to shadow a podiatrist this Fall. I know all about MSUCOM and I'm in love with the school. Also, my uncle went there so I'm also a little biased but it's obviously a great school. I'm a senior at MSU this year.

What is your major up at MSU? Because from some of my closest friends/classmates have realized is that Human Nutrition and Human Physio major grads are some of the people the MSU COM program loves to have. If you did have those grades in one of those majors then you would easily get in. I graduated from MSU back in December. Best 4.5yrs of my life so far!

What is your major up at MSU? Because from some of my closest friends/classmates have realized is that Human Nutrition and Human Physio major grads are some of the people the MSU COM program loves to have. If you did have those grades in one of those majors then you would easily get in. I graduated from MSU back in December. Best 4.5yrs of my life so far!

Interesting. I'm a human biology major (typical pre-professional major) with a specialization in health promotion and in the honors college (if it matters). I can also attest that my 3 years here have also been the best of my life so far!

The honors college should matter. MSU's DO program is amazing. That GPA is good enough to get you into MSU's DO school. 86% of MSUCOM students are Michigan residents. The average GPA is about 3.61, but the average MCAT is about 26-27. But at the same time MSUCOM is known to accept the applicants who have volunteer experience, paid experience (CNA, EMT, etc.), & medicine study abroad.

But again, if you do like podiatry enough that you would rather go to podiatry school in 2015 then you can always apply in January or February to pod school.