1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

pre-med:double major an advantage

Discussion in 'Gold Standard PreMed Headquarters' started by tony729, Apr 11, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. tony729

tony729

I am considering pursuing a double major in Economics and Biology with a minor in chemistry or a major in Economics and a minor in chemistry. I am currently a junior with a 3.8 gpa and very close to completing the requirements for my econ major and pre-med. I am not sure if having a double major would be a advantage, and if my gpa will decrease by taking the upper division biology courses. Would it be better just to major in Economics and a minor in chemistry with close to a 3.8 or higher, and spend my free time focusing more on extra curricular's like: volunteer, shadowing, and be involved in clubs.
  2. Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man Saving the World Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think the double major will be worth more to your application than a boost to your extracurriculars. Do what you personally want and get the strongest GPA possible. I think an Economics major and a chemistry minor is great. Looking back on college, I wish I had majored in something business related rather than in biology. I will get enough science in the coming years of medical school.