1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

pre-med:double major an advantage

Discussion in 'Gold Standard PreMed Headquarters' started by tony729, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. tony729

tony729

I am considering pursuing a double major in Economics and Biology with a minor in chemistry or a major in Economics and a minor in chemistry. I am currently a junior with a 3.8 gpa and very close to completing the requirements for my econ major and pre-med. I am not sure if having a double major would be a advantage, and if my gpa will decrease by taking the upper division biology courses. Would it be better just to major in Economics and a minor in chemistry with close to a 3.8 or higher, and spend my free time focusing more on extra curricular's like: volunteer, shadowing, and be involved in clubs.
  2. Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man Saving the World Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think the double major will be worth more to your application than a boost to your extracurriculars. Do what you personally want and get the strongest GPA possible. I think an Economics major and a chemistry minor is great. Looking back on college, I wish I had majored in something business related rather than in biology. I will get enough science in the coming years of medical school.