Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Pre-Med Flashcards MCAT Review with 1900+ Flashcards for PC/MAC. - Raffle

Discussion in 'Pre-Med Flashcards' started by premedflashcard, 03.04.11.

1. premedflashcard

premedflashcard Exhibitor

SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Pre-Med Flashcards will be giving away one digital copy of Pre-Med Flashcards' MCAT Flashcards with over 1900 flashcards to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

If you would like to purchase Pre-Med Flashcards before the raffle is complete, please do. If you are the winner of the raffle, you will receive a full refund.

Valid until March 20, 2011, Get 10% off of Pre-Med Flashcards when using Google Checkout.
    Coupon Code: sdn10
  2. premedflashcard

Pre-Med Flashcards is a computer program that contains over 1900 MCAT flashcards which offers an inexpensive and effective way to review the material that will be on the MCAT.

What the Program offers:

-The program is easy to use and versatile.

-You can add your own questions

-You can print out all the flashcards and study them on
    the go

-Covers all the main concepts that a student will need to
    know to do well on the MCAT.
    -Over 1900 questions
    -Works with PC and Intel MACs

The program contains the following questions:
    Organic Chemistry: 390 Questions
    General Chemistry: 377 Questions
    Physics: 322 Questions
    Biology: 603 Questions
    Advanced Biology: 270 Questions
    Total of 1962 Questions that test and strengthens your knowledge of the MCAT material.

Take a look at what the program looks like in edit mode
    [​IMG]
    The program looks like this in Play (or Study) Mode:
    [​IMG]
    Simply hit the space bar or click on the "Flip card button" or hit the down arrow to see the answer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Study using "Spaced Learning" or the Leitner system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TRY IT OUR YOURSELF BY DOWNLOADING OUR TRIAL VERSION:

http://www.premedflashcards.com/MCAT-flash-card-downloads.html

Commonly asked questions:

Will it work with a MAC?

Yes. All Intel Macs with version 10.4.8 and above is compatible.

How much does it cost?

$29.99 for the downloadable version.

How did you come up with the questions?

Students just like you who have already taken and received a 10 or above on each section was allow to contribute. This is a common method used in medical school for doing well on standardized tests (see FirstAid for Step 1 if curious).

Are your cards up-to-date?

Yes. We are constantly updating our cards, which is an advantage of having digital flashcards.

Can you add video to the cards?

Yes. You can add video from your computer or from the Internet like a YouTube video. This comes in handy when you are trying to learn complex mechanisms that animations explain better than words.

Are updates free?

Yes. All updates to the program are free to customers.

3. raltima07

raltima07

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This seems like a great product - however, do you guys have any reviews of student oopinions? I would really like this product
  4. neurogenesis

neurogenesis

Pre-Medical
    Does the software allow you to save the ones you get incorrect into a bank and then only review those, or would you have to go in and manually remove them in the edit portion of the software? I couldn't tell if this was an option from the screen shots provided.
  5. LadiiKay

LadiiKay

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I couldn't tell based on the screen shots, but does the program allow you to pick subtopics to review from each subject? I see that advanced bio is broken down in two, but are there sub topics for the rest?
  6. satellite8

satellite8

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This sounds like it would be really helpful! I was wondering if when making your own questions, does the software allow you to draw your own structures or do you have to copy and paste/insert an already made picture from somewhere else?
  7. SmokeyG

SmokeyG

These seem pretty neat and convenient! I'd love a copy.

Are there any students that have tried this? How effective is it?
  8. Residual

Residual Magnificent Meat Machine

Pre-Medical
    You mentioned video, but what about sound? Can it incorporate sound files?
  9. WJUW

WJUW

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Great product.

Can you only buy one section if so how?
  10. Wolfman89

Wolfman89 2 Legit 2 Quit

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How detailed is the free trial? Does it just last for a limited amount of time? Or is the content limited?
  11. E27

E27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Would you recommend reviewing these flashcards prior to studying for the MCAT? It seems like a great way to discover your strengths & weaknesses!
  12. Konye618

Konye618

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is it printable or ipad compatible so it can be used anywhere?
  13. redmoon

redmoon

Pre-Medical
    Is there an ipod/iphone app?
  14. Quester

Quester

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Seems real helpful in studying for the MCAT! Will it work on more than one computer? Do you plan on adding some verbal practices as well? Perhaps flashcards for common vocabulary used on the MCAT?
  15. TheMagician17

TheMagician17

Pre-Medical
    Wow, simply put, this looks amazing! One component that I noticed was msising was verbal reasoning. Isn't that where a lot of people fall? :confused: Perhaps adding some scientific passages, or closely-related to the exam material readings would aid studying, but otherwise, it seems like a very great compilation!
  16. Notsobs

Notsobs

Pre-Medical
    Would buying the $29.99 downloadable version give me unlimited use of this program? So it would never expire and I can use it until I wish to stop without having to pay any additional fees?
  17. premedflashcard

Yes, there are many reviews on this program on Amazon.com. You can search for Pre-Med Flashcards and there should be 10-11 reviews on there.
  18. toledopower

toledopower

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who writes the questions for the flashcards? What credentials do they have?
  19. premedflashcard

Yes, you mark each question either correct or missed. You can view only the cards you got correct and study those. You can also used Spaced Learning which you rate your card 1-4. You will review the cards you rate 1, 2 more often than the cards you mark 3, 4. You can turn this on in the setting menu. The normal correct/missed is turn on by default.
  20. premedflashcard

It's a good question. We have debated whether to break them down into subcategories or not, and if we have enough demand, we will do this. However, it seems like most people study one topic and randomize the questions. Let us know if this would be a huge benefit, and we can do this with our next version.
  21. premedflashcard

Yes, hundreds-thousands of people have tried and found our program very useful. To do well on the MCAT, it is essential to have the basics down to the point where you do not need to spend time thinking about every little fact. You must think fast in order to finish on time. Repetition is a very effective way to do this and flashcards are an excellent medium to accomplish this. On the MCAT, you will be asked to combine facts and concepts to come to conclusion and often are things that you have never seen before. This is where having the basics down will really help your score to improve.
  22. premedflashcard

The best way to draw structures is to use the program "Chem Sketch" from Advanced Chemistry Development. You can then import the structures to the program. It is much more efficient to do it this way.
  23. premedflashcard

Yes, it can do sound files as well. You can add wav files, mp3 files, etc.
  24. premedflashcard

No, as of now, we only offer the program which includes all the sections.
  25. premedflashcard

The trial version has a limited amount of cards (20 cards pre-loaded). It is fully functional and you can try out all the features using the trial version.
  26. premedflashcard

The product contains great flashcards that are intended to use to study for the MCAT. It does contain some difficult concepts which can be used to test for weaknesses and misunderstandings in certain topics.
  27. premedflashcard

The program has a feature to print out flashcards. It is not ipad compatible as of now. This may change. Things are changing so fast in this technological area that by the time we finish a new version, it could be outdated and require reprogramming. We are considering an html5 version which can be accessed through the web which would be compatible on all devices - blackberry, android, ipad, iphone, etc, but Internet would be required. We're not sure if this would be acceptable to customers. Thoughts?
  28. premedflashcard

Yes, we have been thinking about adding a verbal reasoning section for a while now. We have not come to any good conclusion what would be useful. We don't feel that commonly used vocabulary on the MCAT would be helpful since the MCAT doesn't really test vocabulary per se. It may have a few questions like, "what does this word mean in this context," but knowing the definition probably would help only a little since the context could change the meaning. We considered putting sections of literature and asking "what does the author think about ..." type questions. I would love your thoughts on what you would find helpful for the verbal reasoning section.
  29. premedflashcard

Yes, you would have unlimited use of the program, and it never expires. You get free updates as well.
  30. premedflashcard

This is a commonly asked question. We put the answer to this in our FAQ in our original post, but we will repeat it here. Students who have already taken and received a 10 or above on each section were allowed to contribute. The questions are reviewed and edited and then sent for feedback to see if it is helpful. Who better to help you know what is on the MCAT than students who have actually taken the test and done well?

This is a common method used in medical school for doing well on standardized tests (see FirstAid for Step 1). Once in medical school, this will be a very familiar concept to you.
  31. Reaction

Reaction Aut vincere aut mori

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The program looks great.. Does it give a breakdown of the bio material in detail?
  32. ridethecliche

ridethecliche

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Kudos, this program looks incredible.

I honestly don't think a verbal section would be helpful as you HAVE to use passages for that and passages on flashcards kind of defeat the purpose of flash cards.

I might have to pick this up when I'm done with my other materials.

I wish you had this for a cell phone. I'd love to be able to break these out on my droid when I'm on a train or waiting for something. That would be the best use for these, I feel.

Another option would be is to include a small text box on the right side of the screen where you can type in a short answer so you actually have a 'real' comparison for grading your answer.
  33. apumic

apumic Oracle of the Sheet

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think a mobile web-based flashcard app could be quite useful. Or even using an ANKI type platform.... (Although ANKI cards themselves would easily run into piracy issues.) How long have you been making and selling these flashcards? What have students who've used them said?
  34. didanawisgi

didanawisgi

Pre-Medical
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't like the idea of having them web-based. That reeks of first gen iphone technology, back before anything close to an app store existed. I would prefer the copy loaded, even more so if you could load specific sections to save space. That way, a boring meeting in the bowels of an office building (non-trad applicant here) could be a great opportunity to run through ochem mechanisms. That wouldn't be a problem with them loaded, as opposed to waiting for that stellar ATT signal to come to the rescue before finding out just how the base-catalyzed transesterification works.

EDIT:
    Having them loaded would also increase your user-base. Assuming you do them well enough, and it looks like content-wise that shouldn't be a problem, you'd have a very high rating in the App Store with an app labeled something-something-MCAT. Any search done by any MCAT hopeful will bring your cards front-and-center with the droves of rave reviews screaming "buy me!" Then you're not relying so much on word of mouth through places like this. If you decided to go internet-based, on the other hand, you'd still be either dealing with word of mouth through forums or putting up a free app requiring paid subscriptions. The latter rarely works out well as far as ratings and reviews.
    Last edited: 03.16.11
  35. kraskadva

kraskadva ...

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi, I'm just getting started in the med school process, after teaching ESL abroad for several years. Something I noticed immediately when I first took an MCAT practice test, was how similar the verbal section was to all the International English exams I'd been teaching. (I scored a 12VR on my first attempt, with no studying or prior knowledge of what was on the MCAT and I was rushing- so I missed 4 easy questions)
    So my advice, if you are looking for practice questions for the Verbal reasoning is to pick up an ESL exam prep book, and go for a similar style. The best ones in my opinion would be any of the Cambridge Exam books (FCE, CAE, CPE) as those exams are the most similar in content to what I saw on the MCAT. Ignore the grammar questions, but go for the content and vocab.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal