Pre-Med Help! Post Bacc or Re-Take???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medsc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any other ECs? If they're solid and you get, say, 28+ on your MCAT, you have a long shot at getting into a DO school next cycle. Although those are quite a few Cs in pre-reqs/upper sciences.

Would you benefit from a PB? Definitely. Doesn't have to be official, you could just go back to UIC or another 4-year school and retake classes.

If it were me, I would plan to apply next cycle (early), study for the MCAT, and pick a school (going back to UIC seems like the easiest thing to do) to retake those classes.

OP I was in the same boat, basically didn't go to much class the first two years (just showed up for exams) and got B/B- in most prereqs. Got a job in a related field when I graduated, then took a few science courses at a decent 4-year while working. Don't have to retake all the prereqs, try for a class you haven't taken yet like maybe biochem. Got a good (>85th percentile) MCAT the spring before application cycle, applied, and got in DO.

Tldr;
1. Take a year after graduating to do some more UG science coursework, over the summer if possible.

2. Plan on MCAT this spring or early summer.

3. Apply this fall or next fall. It's not a race, be patient.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends where you want to go but I got in DO with 31to34 MCAT and 2.8 to 3.2 cgpa and sgpa (sorry I don't like to post my exact stats).

3.5 and solid MCAT would be entering MD territory but I don't think it's possible to raise your gpa that high with retakes.

Retake and go DO, MD chances are slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.