Pre-med/Med ladies: Fitness Regimen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Seeing the other thread on pre-med/med fitness felt like the online equivalent of entering the free weights section of the gym for me. I just backed out.

How do you stay fit with such a busy schedule? Here was the workout regimen that I've resumed for the new year:

Hot yoga for 90 minutes: 2x/week
Running: 4x week, 30-35 minutes. I try to do 3 miles at a time and am building up to four. I'd like to resume 10K training.

If I'm reaaallllly not feeling the gym, I just go and do the ellipticals for 40-45 minutes and do low free weights to work on my arms. I also do push-ups with my legs on a medicine ball to work my core.

Diet: Really need to fix it. When I get super-stressed, I skip meals. I eat small quantities of junk food and that keeps me going energy-wise but I crash at the end of the day. I'm very healthy when I'm not stressed and focus on getting plenty of fiber, protein and calcium. I try to eat as little meat as possible as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't even really exercise, unless you count running to the bus stop when late, and running from one class to another in ten minutes fast enough so I an still use the bathroom and refill my water bottle during those ten minutes. I sometimes walk though, so running isn't always happening. I am pretty skinny/normal, and I eat normally, mostly whenever I get hungry, which is 3 times a day or more, and sometimes a bedtime snack. A lot of people say I am skinny, but I think I am just normal.

Hi ladies,

Seeing the other thread on pre-med/med fitness felt like the online equivalent of entering the free weights section of the gym for me. I just backed out.

Agreed hahah.

I don't even really exercise, unless you count running to the bus stop when late, and running from one class to another in ten minutes fast enough so I an still use the bathroom and refill my water bottle during those ten minutes. I sometimes walk though, so running isn't always happening. I am pretty skinny/normal, and I eat normally, mostly whenever I get hungry, which is 3 times a day or more, and sometimes a bedtime snack. A lot of people say I am skinny, but I think I am just normal.

This is approximately my exercise regimen. :D

Though I'm starting hot yoga with my s/o next week, and did pilates twice a week (for art credit LOL) last quarter!

@gumdrops it sounds like you exercise quite a bit :clap: I wish I could go to the gym more than once a quarter heheh

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to go to the gym, haha! My metabolism hit a brick wall when I turned 25. I gained 25 pounds and have lost 15. So I have some work to go. :(

I haven't tried pilates but would love to. My friends' results speak for themselves. :) Yoga is expensive so I haven't bought packages for other fitness classes. Also, I so miss the weight I kept off by walking everywhere. I'm pretty sure I keep 5-6 pounds on just by driving, haha.

I like to run! (Probably obvious from my username). I usually do 1-2 half marathons per year so I always have a goal to be working towards. I usually run anywhere from 15-30 miles a week, it's not too hard to fit in around classes and work...long runs on Sunday, then shorter 3-5 mile runs during the week. I will also do the elliptical/stairmaster/spin bike on occasion, and I do some strength training like squats/sit ups/push ups but not as much as I should. I've tried yoga/pilates but it's not really my thing.

To be honest, my diet isn't the best...I have the biggest sweet tooth and I love to bake, so I eat A LOT of dessert. But I tell myself the running cancels it out lol.

Hi ladies,

How do you stay fit with such a busy schedule? Here was the workout regimen that I've resumed for the new year:

Hot yoga for 90 minutes: 2x/week
Running: 4x week, 30-35 minutes. I try to do 3 miles at a time and am building up to four. I'd like to resume 10K training.

If I'm reaaallllly not feeling the gym, I just go and do the ellipticals for 40-45 minutes and do low free weights to work on my arms. I also do push-ups with my legs on a medicine ball to work my core.

Diet: Really need to fix it. When I get super-stressed, I skip meals. I eat small quantities of junk food and that keeps me going energy-wise but I crash at the end of the day. I'm very healthy when I'm not stressed and focus on getting plenty of fiber, protein and calcium. I try to eat as little meat as possible as well.

I don't lift/cannot afford a gym membership, so the fitness forums are always super daunting for me.

Running gave me shin splints and I have to keep away from high impact sports, so two years ago I took up endurance swimming. Schedule consists of a 2 mile swim (almost) 'erryday. I tried to up my regimen to 2.4 miles... the equivalent of the aquatic length of an Iron Man, but that didn't turn out to hot. I also tried a few "home-cardio" workouts; I just get a yoga mat out and do workouts to YouTube cardio regimens before going to bed. Super cheap, super easy.

I've done this ~6 days/week for the past two years... I dropped 20 lbs of pudge the first year and now can wear all the horrible old clothes I saved from my high school days. I can thank the freshman year Nutella-on-toast-for-breakfast diet for those extra 20 lbs in the first place.

This may not work for everyone, but I use the "My Fitness Pal" app to track what/how much I eat. Despite being a omnivore, my family is vegan, so I mainly use the app to ensure that I get enough protein in my diet.

Oh, and the best fitness advice: buy a high-energy dog. My family has three Weimaraners and if they do not get a decent walk in every day they will destroy hapless pieces of furniture.

Reactions: 3 users
OMG, My Fitness Pal is the best. That's what helped me drop the first 15 lbs.

Also, 2 miles of swimming per day?! Forget all the lifters in the other thread. You are a beast. I bow down to you. Were you a swimmer before? How did you work up to that much swimming? I think I need some lessons to improve my swimming technique first.

I like to run! (Probably obvious from my username). I usually do 1-2 half marathons per year so I always have a goal to be working towards. I usually run anywhere from 15-30 miles a week, it's not too hard to fit in around classes and work...long runs on Sunday, then shorter 3-5 mile runs during the week. I will also do the elliptical/stairmaster/spin bike on occasion, and I do some strength training like squats/sit ups/push ups but not as much as I should. I've tried yoga/pilates but it's not really my thing.

To be honest, my diet isn't the best...I have the biggest sweet tooth and I love to bake, so I eat A LOT of dessert. But I tell myself the running cancels it out lol.

I have to get better about running. I'm so out of shape that I procrastinate and go to the gym very late in the evenings because I'm that resistant to running. It's incredible that you do multiple half-marathons with work and school!

OMG, My Fitness Pal is the best. That's what helped me drop the first 15 lbs.

Also, 2 miles of swimming per day?! Forget all the lifters in the other thread. You are a beast. I bow down to you. Were you a swimmer before? How did you work up to that much swimming? I think I need some lessons to improve my swimming technique first.

Dude, you could probably run circles around me. Props to you for your yoga/running routine!
And how is hot yoga? It is really as brutal as they say?

I did competitive swimming since elementary school and then stopped once I started college (bad idea). Some beastly triathlon-junkie friends of mine encouraged me to do an oceanic long-distance swim one summer... it was a 2K and I actually ended up enjoying it. Thereafter I resolved to get in better shape so that I could do it again the summer after without looking like a total fool.

If my coach saw me swimming today he would probably cringe. I've totally neglected my form, so my dominant arm developed these super beefy biceps while my other arm is all weak and noodle-y. -___-

If you are trying to get a tone body, some muscle and some nice big gluteus maximus going the nutrition and fitness regimen doesn't really differ from bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is working your "body" I know once you here bodybuilding you think of my avatar, but it is and it's not. The only thing that would be different is the amount of weight you do and your portion ratio would be smaller.
http://www.robkingfitness.com/new_u...at-Women-Think-Happen-What-Really-Happens.jpg

If you are trying to get a tone body, some muscle and some nice big gluteus maximus going the nutrition and fitness regimen doesn't really differ from bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is working your "body" I know once you here bodybuilding you think of my avatar, but it is and it's not. The only thing that would be different is the amount of weight you do and your portion ratio would be smaller.
http://www.robkingfitness.com/new_u...at-Women-Think-Happen-What-Really-Happens.jpg

Oh, totally. Technique is everything though and I haven't learned technique. I should ask a buff guy at the gym to show me how to lift. ;)

Why do girls hate lifting so much? You girls need to lift, or you'll just be skinny fat. And I don't mean little pink 5 pound dumbbells and pushups. Lift heavy and you won't get big, just toned.

Personally I love lifting. Although i don't like doing it around guys who look like the Buff OP's avatar because it makes me self conscious lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some awesome ladies in this thread!!

Best thing for my fitness was deciding to take a gap year between college and med school--plus the awesome fitness center attached to my work (part of a university). Right now I have time, energy, *and* no excuse to pass up the gym (it's on my way to my parking garage too, lol).

Also, one of the girls I work with is an awesome running buddy (get one--they really do help!!) and we motivate each other. Another of our friends backed out of a 5k this past fall, so my friend persuaded me to train for the 5k with her...crazily enough, it wasn't too hard to do. The key is to build up to it--I didn't wake up one morning and decide to run 3 miles; I'd been running on a treadmill all through college and then within the last year or so had been running 1 mile 3x a week (on a track/outdoors)...then I started adding 0.5 miles to my runs every two weeks or so before I finally got up to 3 miles this fall.

And then I just ran another 5k this past weekend (wooo polar dash! wintery runs are sure interesting) and I wasn't even sore!! My friend and I have now run two 5ks in 2 months and are amping it up--8k in March (it's a st patricks themed run with beer at the end haha) and a 10k in April. Working on getting up to 6 miles right now--still at 3 miles each day, 3x a week.

I mostly make time for my runs by going right after work (since the gym's on the same campus and working out helps me avoid rush hour traffic!); the gym usually isn't too busy at that time, surprisingly enough (I tend not to get there til 6:30 or 7 though due to my research lab work).

My diet's ok--it could be better, especially considering I don't eat dinner til 8:30 or 9 anymore (30 minute commute on a good day after leaving the gym around 7:30 or 8), and then I often pig out when I get home. :( I eat healthy at breakfast & lunch and eat almonds/small snacks throughout the day, though.

Last edited:
Right now I'm trying to adjust my food schedule so in eating my biggest meal at lunch and having something lighter at dinner. It's helped me feel less starved when I get home from work, and less like a sluggish fatas$ at night.

I'm in the middle of moving right now so my workout schedule has gone to hell (I'm doing T25) hopefully when I get situated I can get back to running and lifting at the gym. Just gotta find a gym!

Why do girls hate lifting so much? You girls need to lift, or you'll just be skinny fat. And I don't mean little pink 5 pound dumbbells and pushups. Lift heavy and you won't get big, just toned.

I wouldn't say I hate lifting, but it feels like a chore, while running feels relaxing to me. But I do force myself to do strength training...both of my parents are personal trainers so I have definitely learned how important it is. I did hate going to gym on campus though...definitely felt out of place with all of the intense guys there haha. Now that I'm at home I do it more because I have access to the gym my parents work at.

Dude, you could probably run circles around me. Props to you for your yoga/running routine!
And how is hot yoga? It is really as brutal as they say?

I did competitive swimming since elementary school and then stopped once I started college (bad idea). Some beastly triathlon-junkie friends of mine encouraged me to do an oceanic long-distance swim one summer... it was a 2K and I actually ended up enjoying it. Thereafter I resolved to get in better shape so that I could do it again the summer after without looking like a total fool.

If my coach saw me swimming today he would probably cringe. I've totally neglected my form, so my dominant arm developed these super beefy biceps while my other arm is all weak and noodle-y. -___-

Hot yoga is surprisingly the one exercise I've tried where how I eat really affects my performance. My yoga teacher said that trying to do yoga after eating unhealthy all day is like "a car trying to run with sand in its engine." Oddly, i feel the effects of a bad diet much more profoundly when I do hot yoga than when I go running or try spin classes. My guess is that you have such a fit core and strong muscles from swimming that you'd excel in hot yoga.
Just hydrate plenty and eat well before each class.

The arm situation sounds adorable! I can't believe you swam 2k in the ocean with no preparation. Once again, beeeeeast. I could always lie down and pass out if I wanted during hot yoga. ;) You have to keep going in the ocean!

Erin Stern perfect example. She lifts and also runs track.

Oh, totally. Technique is everything though and I haven't learned technique. I should ask a buff guy at the gym to show me how to lift. ;)
Yeah, you might even get a date. :thumbup::soexcited:

Personally I love lifting. Although i don't like doing it around guys who look like the Buff OP's avatar because it makes me self conscious lol.
You will hardly see those guys around, they like to hide from the noobs. If you would see me in the gym I put on this focus/mad look on my face so ppl don't bother me with questions. But if one person has the guts I will happily answer their questions lol. Furthermore, ladies if you want try to find a gym that has a section only for women.
Don't laugh at me, but when I go to the gym with my mom (she tags along) she goes to the ladies section.
BTW she hardly comes with me.

If you really want to learn how to lift, find a male friend/classmate that lifts and ask him if you can tag along. Also, you definitely have time for the gym in medical school if you make it a priority. I try to go 6x/week (maybe 5 if it's an exam week, but I've gone to the gym the day before exams and so have plenty of my classmates).

I'm a huge proponent of HIIT workouts. Also, I despise the gym so I do 95% of my workouts in my apartment. If anyone wants to kick start a workout routine, I suggest the PREVIOUS 30-day challenge at bodyrock.tv (not the current one that started yesterday! It looked really short and stupid.) they're anywhere from 45-70 minutes. I'm usually pouring sweat by the end.

You will definitely need weights (10 lb dumbells) and a jump rope, though.

I'm obsessed with these workouts. They combine cardio and weights/plyometric moves to shorten the overall workout. Intermittent jump roping keeps your HR up while you squat etc. They're the only thing I've consistently stuck with and they're the only workouts that have gotten me closer to my old cheerleading body. Two thumbs up.

This thread is fantastic!! Me personally. I've been dabbling on and off with Starting Strength. It's been perfect for a busy school life since each workout session takes less than an hour. However, I am currently trying to lay low and avoid the new years gym traffic.

As for cardio.....I hate it! I've tried running, HIIT, cycling, treadmills, ellipticals etc. I get bored every time. Anybody who has taught themselves to like cardio who can give me some advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm a relatively new runner, having only completed one 5k. I'm "training" for a 10k, but I've been slacking and my mood has worsened as a consequence. It's honestly not hard to fit in when I make it a priority, and I'm hoping to find a workout buddy or two when school starts to guilt me into hitting the track, the road or the treadmill at least x3 a week. I also tend to run for time, not distance, so it's easier to fit workouts into my schedule.

I personally get a lot of inspiration from Nerd Fitness. As the daughter of a personal trainer I completely rebelled against the usual gym-rat ethos and was repulsed by the concept of a dedicated space to burn excess calories. Nerd Fitness gave me a new, far more palatable frame for approaching health and fitness (their adoration of paleo notwithstanding). I've been trying to add their bodyweight strength workout to my regimen since it seems simple, cheap and short. Eventually I would like to progress to lifting since I'm interested in being stronger and burning off the stress calories I know I will consume.

As for getting it into my busy life, it is hard, but that's where the framing came in for me. I like Nerd Fitness' concept of working out as "leveling up," and my runs give me a private, quietly attained* achievement. I still have no idea what a "good" race pace is or even how far I run on the regular since I found more motivation in just meditating through my workout.

For those who aren't big fans of traditional cardio, I second the recommendation for hot or Bikrams Yoga. For me fitting the classes in proved too unwieldy and expensive, since my insurance won't reimburse yoga memberships :shrug:, but when I was going regularly I could get my heart rate up and sustain it for large stretches during the workout. It was also more reinforcing since the warmth let me get deeper into the stretches and I felt better about my performance within the form.

For those who aren't big fans of traditional cardio, I second the recommendation for hot or Bikrams Yoga. For me fitting the classes in proved too unwieldy and expensive, since my insurance won't reimburse yoga memberships :shrug:, but when I was going regularly I could get my heart rate up and sustain it for large stretches during the workout. It was also more reinforcing since the warmth let me get deeper into the stretches and I felt better about my performance within the form.

Definitely keep up the running, that's great. That sucks with the yoga though, are you subscribed at a gym? I know the one I'm a member of offers free classes every week.

Definitely keep up the running, that's great. That sucks with the yoga though, are you subscribed at a gym? I know the one I'm a member of offers free classes every week.

I've been avoiding gyms since I was thirteen and filled with angst. I believe my local gym does offer yoga classes, but hot or Bikrams yoga requires a dedicated facility capable of maintaining high heat and humidity without smelling too much like buttholes. I did Bikram in high school, but that facility is now on the opposite side of the country from me. Normal yoga doesn't get the heart rate elevation I was after, and I found getting into the postures was much more difficult at room temperature so I wasn't as motivated to adhere.

I've been avoiding gyms since I was thirteen and filled with angst. I believe my local gym does offer yoga classes, but hot or Bikrams yoga requires a dedicated facility capable of maintaining high heat and humidity without smelling too much like buttholes. I did Bikram in high school, but that facility is now on the opposite side of the country from me. Normal yoga doesn't get the heart rate elevation I was after, and I found getting into the postures was much more difficult at room temperature so I wasn't as motivated to adhere.

Makes sense, the first official yoga class I attended was a Bikram class - I must have sweat enough to fill up a water keg that stuff is intense!

I like that my thread inspired another one :)

It's important to also find a really good teacher because bad yoga teaching can be physically dangerous. The best teachers are usually at studios dedicated solely to yoga and pilates. The heat also helps your flexibility and transitions between poses, which is where a lot of people hurt themselves. Not to mention that yes, those studios know how to keep the room smelling like "buttholes," lol.

I'm a huge proponent of HIIT workouts. Also, I despise the gym so I do 95% of my workouts in my apartment. If anyone wants to kick start a workout routine, I suggest the PREVIOUS 30-day challenge at bodyrock.tv (not the current one that started yesterday! It looked really short and stupid.) they're anywhere from 45-70 minutes. I'm usually pouring sweat by the end.

You will definitely need weights (10 lb dumbells) and a jump rope, though.

I'm obsessed with these workouts. They combine cardio and weights/plyometric moves to shorten the overall workout. Intermittent jump roping keeps your HR up while you squat etc. They're the only thing I've consistently stuck with and they're the only workouts that have gotten me closer to my old cheerleading body. Two thumbs up.

Have to try these HIIT workouts. People have been raving about them.

Diet update: Am minimizing meat consumption as much as possible (what can I say, I love fish) and am finding that I'm eating more fruit and vegetables by default. I'd like to find a way to balance my protein consumption better but I'm cutting myself a break because I'm so stressed.

Diet update: Am minimizing meat consumption as much as possible (what can I say, I love fish) and am finding that I'm eating more fruit and vegetables by default. I'd like to find a way to balance my protein consumption better but I'm cutting myself a break because I'm so stressed.

Quinoa. If you can get the pre-washed stuff it's mad easy to prepare, easy to fit into other recipes and I find it rather tasty.

I'm really wanting to get started on a gym/fitness routine before school starts this summer. It's more of a fitness/stress relief thing than losing weight. Does anyone have any tips for a brand newbie?? I do have a gym membership and prefer walking/running. I just want to be able to run a couple miles without stopping!!

I'm really wanting to get started on a gym/fitness routine before school starts this summer. It's more of a fitness/stress relief thing than losing weight. Does anyone have any tips for a brand newbie?? I do have a gym membership and prefer walking/running. I just want to be able to run a couple miles without stopping!!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

That's what got me started, though it took me a few more weeks than they prescribed. If you like your gym, see if there's a trainer who motivates you to come in.

Suuuper grateful for this thread. I just finished a crazy "semester" and didn't have time/didn't want to work out at all but I finally have lots of free time and am looking for something that I'll enjoy! Any tips? I have a really hard time keeping myself motivated because I'm thin naturally (tragic, right?) but I am definitely not healthy. I appreciate it!

Oh yeah I love the HIIT workouts. If my vision is starting to go fuzzy and my heart feels like it's about to jump out of my throat then I know it's a good workout haha I'm joking, but only barely. :)

I love this website: http://www.blogilates.com/

Great healthy recipes, a huge variety of workout and stretch videos, plus the instructor is so fun and positive!

You guys are crazy...
Asinine-America-HATERS-GONNA-HATE1.jpg

I love this thread!

I joined a gym that is famous for having great classes with real pros as teachers, because I am not terribly motivated on my own and it's much more fun to be around other people. I try to go to at least three or four weight training classes a week (ie. "boot camp", the abs & bum classes, etc.) and one or two yoga or mat pilates. Sometimes they have fun dance classes or cheesy step aerobics with 80s music! At the beginning of the week, I look at the schedule, pick which ones I want to do and put them into my phone calendar so it's a commitment. On yoga days I go early so I can run a few miles on treadmill before class.

Hot yoga is pretty amazing. I used to do it a lot but it's just so expensive. Can't rationale the extra money now that I have the good vinyasa classes already paid for with my monthly fee, sadly.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

That's what got me started, though it took me a few more weeks than they prescribed. If you like your gym, see if there's a trainer who motivates you to come in.

Loved this plan! It's what's got me running too.

So inspired by all of the incredible women (and gentlemen!) on this thread. Let's get it, girls! A good friend of mine has started MyFitnessPal and has lost ten pounds since the beginning of December. I want to not only lose weight but get really fit. So I'm back to doing MyFitnessPal because we think we'll both stay more motivated this way. Let's see how this goes. It'll at least keep me from having dinners of gummy bears due to application anxiety. :-/

What is this MyFitnessPal? Online all I'm seeing is a calorie counter...

Oh yeah I love the HIIT workouts. If my vision is starting to go fuzzy and my heart feels like it's about to jump out of my throat then I know it's a good workout haha I'm joking, but only barely. :)

I love this website: http://www.blogilates.com/

Great healthy recipes, a huge variety of workout and stretch videos, plus the instructor is so fun and positive!

Cassey Ho has great workout videos!! I always laugh inside since she she has makeup and earrings on during the demos....

Suuuper grateful for this thread. I just finished a crazy "semester" and didn't have time/didn't want to work out at all but I finally have lots of free time and am looking for something that I'll enjoy! Any tips? I have a really hard time keeping myself motivated because I'm thin naturally (tragic, right?) but I am definitely not healthy. I appreciate it!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/ is a great plan to start with if you're interested in running. I thought I'd hate running but after this plan, I loved it for a while. I wish I hadn't quit running because I always find it very difficult to restart. Otherwise, I tried several exercise classes to find what works for me. I loved yoga right away. I tried barre, body pump, spin, nightclub cardio, etc. There are SO many fun types of exercise out there now that I wouldn't worry if something doesn't work for you. For example, I am not a fan of zumba but I have several friends who love it. I thought I'd love barre after yoga but wasn't a fan either. Still getting comparable toning from yoga as that of my barre friends though!

If you're one of those people who likes to track progress to stay motivated, try the Runkeeper app. It has 5K, 10K and marathon training plans built in, it'll track your distance as you run outside, you can upload playlists and you can track calories burned, distance run, etc. It's awesome for type-A pre-meds who have to know how they're doing every hour or so. ;) Good luck!

What is this MyFitnessPal? Online all I'm seeing is a calorie counter...

Cassey Ho has great workout videos!! I always laugh inside since she she has makeup and earrings on during the demos....

Yeah, that's it! It's essentially a digital "food diary;" you log all your meals and exercise on it and it keeps track of your net calorie intake for the day. You can create a plan for weight loss/gain, but I like to use it to see the relative amounts of fat/protein/carbs I consume on a daily basis or what vitamins my diet is lacking in. If you're super OCD, this app is right up your alley ahaha.

Hot yoga actually sounds pretty interesting! I'm actually super stoked for my gap year because I plan on doing all the fun fitness-related things that my school schedule could not accommodate.

Quick question for y'all: what are your go-to healthy snacks for long days at work/school? I'm trying to up my fruit/veg intake, but I'm not really sure what sort of foods keep well for a 8+ hour day on campus (aside from un-peeled citrus and raw carrots). With a busy schedule I always seem to lapse into a carb-heavy diet... last semester I would just bring a bag of naan to school and live off of that.

This thread is fantastic!! Me personally. I've been dabbling on and off with Starting Strength. It's been perfect for a busy school life since each workout session takes less than an hour. However, I am currently trying to lay low and avoid the new years gym traffic.

As for cardio.....I hate it! I've tried running, HIIT, cycling, treadmills, ellipticals etc. I get bored every time. Anybody who has taught themselves to like cardio who can give me some advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I'm exactly same way. I can't understand anyone who likes running, and you couldn't PAY me to get on any sort of elliptical, treadmill, stair climber you name it. I just hate it so much! It might not be what you're looking for, but there are two things that have allowed me to get cardio without dying of boredom/running :

-Jump rope: you can use intervals and learn how to do tricks to stave off boredom. These can be done anywhere, even while traveling! Also, this totally helps with balance and footwork. Plus if you get good at it you can join competitions, which I heard are super fun.

-Barbell Complexes: This is similar to crossfit, it's "cardio with weights". Pick a weight (for the first time, maybe the empty bar), and then do 5-8 exercises in a row for sets of 8-12 without stopping. What I do is: Barbell row x8, RDLx8, Hang Clean x8, Front Squat x8, Push Press x8. Note that you don't rest between each excercise, you immediately transition from one to the next once you finish the set. Do three of these complex set, and aim for 90 second rests in between. Once you can do 3 sets with 90 sec rest in between add 5lbs to bar, rinse and repeat. These will kick your ass, and they are by far the most efficient form of cardio I've ever used and seen. A full session should last you 8-10 minutes. Within three months I was able to outrun my "cardio bunny" friends on the track over distances up to 3 miles, despite weighing a hearty 260lbs. You can work this into intermediate programming for SS easily once you get to that point.

Hope I was helpful!

Yeah, that's it! It's essentially a digital "food diary;" you log all your meals and exercise on it and it keeps track of your net calorie intake for the day. You can create a plan for weight loss/gain, but I like to use it to see the relative amounts of fat/protein/carbs I consume on a daily basis or what vitamins my diet is lacking in. If you're super OCD, this app is right up your alley ahaha.

Hot yoga actually sounds pretty interesting! I'm actually super stoked for my gap year because I plan on doing all the fun fitness-related things that my school schedule could not accommodate.

Quick question for y'all: what are your go-to healthy snacks for long days at work/school? I'm trying to up my fruit/veg intake, but I'm not really sure what sort of foods keep well for a 8+ hour day on campus (aside from un-peeled citrus and raw carrots). With a busy schedule I always seem to lapse into a carb-heavy diet... last semester I would just bring a bag of naan to school and live off of that.

Food diary sounds like a lot of work :confused: The OCD wants to try though hahah

I've actually never been to hot yoga before, but hear super good things about it! Supposed to be a bit on the pricey side. Plus of being a student: free gym membership. Downside: no time to go. Derp.

You can try bringing an apple (whole, or if you slice and then dip briefly in dilute salt water, it won't go brown), celery (PB optional) or broccoli? I think plain raw broccoli is a great mouth distractor if you are ravenous but don't have time to get real food, but maybe put some ranch in a ziplock bag?

Crossfit at Plant Fitness actually, then after your work out they serve you donuts and pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.