pre-med/med-student fitness thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baconshrimps

Has an opinion.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha SDN

Making this thread for pre-medical students & medical students to exchange fitness tips, lift strategies, routines, nutrition advice, and ways to make all this work into a crammed school schedule.

I lift about 3-4 hours after a big breakfast protein shake on my lift days, and on my cardio days in the evenings I do about 2 miles on an incline at about 4.5 mph.

Favorite exercise: Woodchoppers and Arnold Press.

Members don't see this ad.

Lets not beat around the bush here: Cell Tech.

But really just barbell lifts 3 days/wk and trying to run 3-5 miles a couple times a week as well.

Sit at desk for 18 hours per day working/studying whilst my mortal coil decays.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently on an intermittent fast, I started over break and its almost a month now, I was able to cut 10-pounds (I swim alot, 2hrs/day, and 1 hr on elliptical) by decreasing caloric intake and increasing cardio. I started IF because I tried to bulk the fall semester, got lazy and fat by the end. I'll try to bulk again over the summer, but this time with more discipline. I also do yoga/taichi which is great for flexibily and posture.

Reactions: 1 user

But really just barbell lifts 3 days/wk and trying to run 3-5 miles a couple times a week as well.

Haha, I was going to post my supplements too but I didn't want anyone to thing I was trying to get a roid-thread going haha (people who don't know what supplements are tend to blanket them in with roids)

I don't use celltech because my problem is cutting, not bulking.
I cycle CREA7INE for 4 weeks and then CE2 Platinum for 2 weeks
10 grams of L-gln/day
10 grams of beta-ala/day
5 NO2 RED caplets per day.

really don't like the parasthesia that the beta-ala causes, but it's only for a half hour and then it's gone.

Heh, I'm way too apathetic these days to dabble in anything more complicated than protein powder.

What do you guys think of pre-work out supplements? I usually drink Redbull zero before a workout

edit: favorite exercise, barbell curls, curls for the girls ;)

Haha, I was going to post my supplements too but I didn't want anyone to thing I was trying to get a roid-thread going haha (people who don't know what supplements are tend to blanket them in with roids)

I don't use celltech because my problem is cutting, not bulking.
I cycle CREA7INE for 4 weeks and then CE2 Platinum for 2 weeks
10 grams of L-gln/day
10 grams of beta-ala/day
5 NO2 RED caplets per day.

really don't like the parasthesia that the beta-ala causes, but it's only for a half hour and then it's gone.

Creatine

not even once

Lift 3x/week on a intermediate strength building program derived from Mark Rippetoe's original SS. Mostly powerlifting-type exercises with some pull-ups and abs work for good measure.

Also run, do yoga and capoeira (Brazilian dance-fighting!) on my off days.

Was taking creatine at one point in time but have phased out of it. I did feel like it helped me push through final sets easier but overall I think persistence and a well-managed lifting program works just as well.

What do you guys think of pre-work out supplements? I usually drink Redbull zero before a workout

edit: favorite exercise, barbell curls, curls for the girls ;)

I'm using beta-ala, CREA7INE, and l-gln pre and postworkout. Pre-workout I'll just have it in water, post-workout I add whey protein and mix it in a low calorie sports drink (gatorade, powerade - whatever the gas station I'm stopping at has haha)

I'm currently on an intermittent fast, I started over break and its almost a month now, I was able to cut 10-pounds (I swim alot, 2hrs/day, and 1 hr on elliptical) by decreasing caloric intake and increasing cardio. I started IF because I tried to bulk the fall semester, got lazy and fat by the end. I'll try to bulk again over the summer, but this time with more discipline. I also do yoga/taichi which is great for flexibily and posture.

intermittent fasting changed my life. traditional diets ("6 small meals a day") always tended to screw me as it was just far too much effort needed for me with school, work, studying, volunteering, research, etc.

with IF, lifting 3-4 days a week, and cardio 3-4 days a week, as well as simple proportion cutting/better food choices, I cut 26 pounds in about 4 months. it was actually so easy I felt like I didn't deserve it haha. looking better than I did as an athlete, ill take it! glad to see IF working for others as well. caloric deficit is the name of the game folks!

intermittent fasting changed my life. traditional diets ("6 small meals a day") always tended to screw me as it was just far too much effort needed for me with school, work, studying, volunteering, research, etc.

with IF, lifting 3-4 days a week, and cardio 3-4 days a week, as well as simple proportion cutting/better food choices, I cut 26 pounds in about 4 months. it was actually so easy I felt like I didn't deserve it haha. looking better than I did as an athlete, ill take it! glad to see IF working for others as well. caloric deficit is the name of the game folks!

How does one go about doing IF?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
squats eerday

Squats for that derriere

BdtGFbiIQAAXnTy.jpg

I think you guys are over-complicating things. I just train in the gym 6 days a week and avoid junk food in my diet. No supplements either, just good old chicken and brown rice. This strategy has worked for me quite well over the years and I see a consistent increase in my lifting numbers.

dat dere celltech. 100% natty

I lift 4x a week, but I'm contemplating going on 5/3/1 after I cut some weight from my recent bulk. Also do Yoga on a 5th depending on my schedule - the day varies.

dat dere celltech. 100% natty

I lift 4x a week, but I'm contemplating going on 5/3/1 after I cut some weight from my recent bulk. Also do Yoga on a 5th depending on my schedule - the day varies.

5/3/1 was a god-send for me, I definitely recommend it. The variant that worked best for me was "Boring but Big."

For a newbie, definitely get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's a great book that teaches not only the proper form for many multi-joint excercises, but how to put a workout together.

I don't use many supps, just creatine and some whey here or there. If they work for you, go ahead and use them.

Finally, SQUAT GOD DAMN IT, especially if you're female ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on a 4 month routine right now, but this is the first time I am using a NO2 supplement, so I'll report back in mid-may on the results.
I have been really negligent about doing a 1RM inventory - I don't know any other way to 'standardize' strength to monitor progress - I'm mainly going for appearance.

5/3/1 was a god-send for me, I definitely recommend it. The variant that worked best for me was "Boring but Big."

For a newbie, definitely get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's a great book that teaches not only the proper form for many multi-joint excercises, but how to put a workout together.

I don't use many supps, just creatine and some whey here or there. If they work for you, go ahead and use them.

Finally, SQUAT GOD DAMN IT, especially if you're female ;)
5/3/1 BBB is actually what I was thinking. I like doing accessory work and it kind of mimics what I'm currently doing. I'll wait until I drop some weight, then evaluate my goals/schedule then. How much time would you say you spent in the gym each day with it?

Veteran runner, but newbie to the gym
3-5 mile run on weekdays and 7-10 on weekends.
Just started a strength foundations routine and do that 3X a week after my run
Drink a protein shake after going to the gym
Taekwondo once a week

5/3/1 BBB is actually what I was thinking. I like doing accessory work and it kind of mimics what I'm currently doing. I'll wait until I drop some weight, then evaluate my goals/schedule then. How much time would you say you spent in the gym each day with it?

I'm usually out in little more or less than an hour. The workouts are super intense, but short, which would make it perfect for people with busy schedules (like med students lol). The best part about 5/3/1 is that it's highly adaptable. A few times, if I knew I wasn't going to get a full workout in, I went in to d0 my 5/3/1 and then left, took me 20 minutes but I still made consistent, strength gains this way. Other times, if I felt a strong pump going on, I'd add a few extra excercises, still worked.

I'm actually going to transition back to 5/3/1 once I start medical school, and probably stick with it for the forseable future.

5/3/1 is can be good. I found it worked really well for my shoulder press, ok for deadlifts and bench press, but I really had a hard time getting stronger in squats. I've been squatting 3x/wk for a long time so I think I need the frequency.

Any tips on increasing self-motivation to wake up early and run in the mornings? I work 9-5pm and since it's winter time here, it's already dark out, so I don't want to run in the dark (I hate running at the gym because it's way too boring).

Lapsed distance runner here. Trying to get back into it now. I need to set a goal for this spring/summer, and I can't decide between shooting for a PR in the 5k or half, or doing something totally different like a century week.

ETA: Currently on the Whole 30 diet.

Last edited:
5/3/1 is can be good. I found it worked really well for my shoulder press, ok for deadlifts and bench press, but I really had a hard time getting stronger in squats. I've been squatting 3x/wk for a long time so I think I need the frequency.

Check out smolov or smolov jr for frequency. Outlaw ran a phase of it mid-2013. It was atrocious, I questioned the meaning of life, but the gains were hard to argue with.

Favorite lifts: cleans (heavy singles or a ground/hang/high hang complex) and pullups

Diet: cyclic keto

Any ladies here?

Right now I'm kind of doing T25. Will be getting a gym member ship soon and I really need to get my shiz together.

Suggestions?

Female here!

I love following the Blogilates workout calendars - she provides versions of her exercises you can do at the gym with equipment or at home with no equipment. It's fantastically convenient. I tend to focus on my core and derriere since I pulled some shoulder muscles doing yoga. :( No significant lifting for me.

As far as food goes, I just try to eat healthy - mostly protein, grains, and complex carbs, avoiding fats and simple sugars.

How does one go about doing IF?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I think everyone has their own variation of it, depending on experimenting with what does and does not work for you depending on your schedule.

basically it's choosing a certain window of time during each day where you're "allowed" to eat your meals, then the rest of the day you're not allowed to eat. most do like a 6-8 hour window to eat, say noon-6 or noon-8, and you don't eat at all outside of that time frame.

what I do is more like a 1pm-7pm window where ill eat two or three small to medium portioned, well balanced meals (not garbage, think chicken, veggies, and brown rice) with no eating before or after. I believe it works because with a good weekly exercise routine, caloric deficits become much easier. also helps that you don't eat late at night.

many make the "starvation mode" argument, and admittedly idk the science behind it, but anecdotally I know it works amazingly for me and has worked for about a dozen of my friends. i also know i almost NEVER feel hungry or starving on it, so who knows. if everything else has failed you, I'd recommend it.

I once made a similar thread it got closed. If this one doesn't then that's F up what they did to my thread.

This has been my routines throughout the years.
  1. Normal bodybuilder split (go for 10-12 reps and drop sets): Monday Chest or Back Tuesday Back or Chest Wednesday Delts Thursday Rest or Legs Friday Legs day Saturday Arms Sunday Rest (If I'm cutting cardio is still done on rest days)
  2. Dorian Yates Style. Less time in the gym (about 45 mins) Intense workouts. More weight and about 8-10 reps and 3 sets for each exercise.
  3. Mike O'hearn Power Bodybuilding (currently doing) 7 sets of each workout and about 2-6 reps. Example video.

If you need motivation check out Diet Bet (http://www.dietbetter.com/). You join a group and place a bet that you will lose 4% or 10% of your body weight in 28 days or 6 months respectively. All the money goes into a pot and the winners split the pot money (minus the percentage the website keeps). I bet $30 last October and won an addition $20 just for losing my Burla belly

If you need motivation check out Diet Bet (http://www.dietbetter.com/). You join a group and place a bet that you will lose 4% or 10% of your body weight in 28 days or 6 months respectively. All the money goes into a pot and the winners split the pot money (minus the percentage the website keeps). I bet $30 last October and won an addition $20 just for losing my Burla belly

That's a really cool idea.

This has been my routines throughout the years.
  1. Mike O'hearn Power Bodybuilding (currently doing) 7 sets of each workout and about 2-6 reps. Example video.

Ton of volume, lol. I'd have a hard time walking DOWN stairs after 6 sets of 5 heavy squats, let alone up. What are your lifts/BW at Buff? Do you do comps/shows?

Did you guys notice how few of the med school gyms had power racks in them? Surprisingly, Wash U turned out to have the best equipped gym when I visited: med students only, easy access from rez, 3 power racks (!!!). Pitt's gym was MAAAAAAASSSSIIIIVE, and also well equipped, but the rest of the schools i visited only had smith machines :(

Lift 4 days a week, I've been using musclepharm assault ever since they stopped making jack3d :( Assault is pretty good but you better be near a toilet when you take it!

I too have had good results with IF but it's hard to maintain if you can't dictate when you have meals. I lost 10 lbs in the first month but I had to give it up, I think it will be a natural eating style once med school starts.

The one thing I have never been able to get right is squatting. I love deadlifting as a replacement but whenever I have tried to squat I just can't get my arms far back enough. Any technique advice? I get pain in my elbows and I'm never sure where to put my hands, everything I have tried has failed.

Wait they stopped making Jack3d? What is this world coming to?

That's a really cool idea.

Ton of volume, lol. I'd have a hard time walking DOWN stairs after 6 sets of 5 heavy squats, let alone up. What are your lifts/BW at Buff? Do you do comps/shows?

Did you guys notice how few of the med school gyms had power racks in them? Surprisingly, Wash U turned out to have the best equipped gym when I visited: med students only, easy access from rez, 3 power racks (!!!). Pitt's gym was MAAAAAAASSSSIIIIVE, and also well equipped, but the rest of the schools i visited only had smith machines :(
I need to start keeping a record of my stuff, so I can't tell yah right lol. I'll PM you the other part.
Edit: I can't access your profile, but others I can. That's weird.

People please don't waste your money on buying a lot of supplements. They are called "supplements" so they can supplement what you don't have time for or can't access to it daily. Besides multivitamins, joint support, and fish oils the only supps I use for lifting are whey-isolate for post workout and a pre-workout.

Lift 4 days a week, I've been using musclepharm assault ever since they stopped making jack3d :( Assault is pretty good but you better be near a toilet when you take it!

I too have had good results with IF but it's hard to maintain if you can't dictate when you have meals. I lost 10 lbs in the first month but I had to give it up, I think it will be a natural eating style once med school starts.

The one thing I have never been able to get right is squatting. I love deadlifting as a replacement but whenever I have tried to squat I just can't get my arms far back enough. Any technique advice? I get pain in my elbows and I'm never sure where to put my hands, everything I have tried has failed.

Are you squatting with the bar on your traps (high bar) or slightly below? If the former, I think that you're putting the weight of the bar on your hands as opposed to your traps. The easiest way to fix this is to ensure that your hand is in line with your forearm throughout the movement. Or, use a false grip (thumbs around)

Seriously use caffeine as a pre-work.

There's a reason it's banned in competition.

I'm closing in on the end of Stronglifts 5x5 after a year of doing it. The linear gains just aren't coming anymore. It's been a hell of a bulk though, went from borderline underweight to gaining 20-25lbs.

People please don't waste your money on buying a lot of supplements. They are called "supplements" so they can supplement what you don't have time for or can't access to it daily. Besides multivitamins, joint support, and fish oils the only supps I use for lifting are whey-isolate for post workout and a pre-workout.

I agree with this 100%. only other thing I know people have success with WHEN THEY ARE CAREFUL would be creatine, if you have trouble putting on pounds of course.

my two brothers who compete regularly (mostly in physique, nothing too crazy) do nothing but a pre, whey-isolate, and work hard.

Seriously use caffeine as a pre-work.

There's a reason it's banned in competition.
Caffeine is in most pre-workouts but there is other things that are added to those things for performance.

I agree with this 100%. only other thing I know people have success with WHEN THEY ARE CAREFUL would be creatine, if you have trouble putting on pounds of course.

my two brothers who compete regularly (mostly in physique, nothing too crazy) do nothing but a pre, whey-isolate, and work hard.
I'm actually trying to drop size/fat and have a men's physique body, but I don't know yet. Sometimes I do want to end up staying big or bigger (I wear 2XL shirts) but then I want a body with aesthetic look for sports and the ladies lol. In addition, the heavy drug use that goes into bodybuilding I don't know if I want to go through all of that.

Wait they stopped making Jack3d? What is this world coming to?

Yeah even though the 1,3 DMAA in jack3d is sold as a supplement, it's been linked to all sorts of pharmaceutical grade effects hence the FDA crackdown. Pretty sure two people died using it. After using it for a whole year a couple years back, I'm pretty sure it made me much more aggressive and irritable. It probably was addictive too.

Protein, multi, fish oil. Everything else just isn't worth it.

Caffeine is in most pre-workouts but there is other things that are added to those things for performance.

I should have said caffeine is proven to help with endurance exercise. But it may help with lifting, never proven I think.

Last edited:
I should have said caffeine is proven to help with endurance exercise. But it may help with lifting, never proven I think.
About the being banned in competitions most of those "natty" competitions are not drug tested, they just make you sign a paper that you swear you are natural.

Definitely go to Planet Fitness. They have PIZZA PARTIES and DOUGHNUTS. F*** yeah!

/flameshield

Status
Not open for further replies.