pre-med, post-bac programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nudge1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After several jobs and several useless degrees, I've finally decided to go back to school to grind out those requirements that I skipped in undergrad. I went to the local college (UNC-Greensboro) because it was cheap and super convienent. But what I'd like to (and others are asking me too) is this: does it matter where you get your reqs done, as long as you do well? Some of the big-name schools (like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins) offer post-bac programs but they're ungodly expensive. I'd rather save my debt for med school. Anyone have any wisdom, knowledge, or opinions about this? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think UC-Greensboro would be fine as long as you did well. I think the only types of places you'd want to avoid would be community colleges. (Nothing against them just I would assume it would not be a good idea)

I did it both ways--I took a class at a community college and I did the whole expensive post-bacc route. Personally, I thought the expensive post-bacc structure was worthwhile, and the help that they give you while you are applying is good. (Some post-bacc programs are "feeders" to other schools--Bryn Mawr, for example, is associated with Jefferson, Rochester, Brown, and many others. Tufts, where I went, is associated with, you guessed it, Tufts.) The expensive post-bacc programs help you like going to an expensive college helps you--if the school generally places 90% of its students in med school, the post-bacc will as well.

But if you are at UNC Greensboro, if you know you like the school, if you will feel happier going to school there, do what your heart tells you. The fact is, undergrads from UNC Greensboro go to medical school, so post-baccs will go to medical school, too.

The post-bacc road is tough, but it is totally worth it, so long as you remember your ultimate goal: to be a doctor.

Good luck!

mma

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an undergrad degree in communications, so I took NO pre-med requirements during undergrad. I looked into the Tufts and Columbia formal bost-bacc programs, but I decided to go the public school route. I went to an expensive undergrad (Boston U) so I wanted to keep the costs down, just in case the med school thing didn't pan out (couldn't imagine being $20,000 in debt for something that wasn't a sure thing). I think just taking the classes from the public school is totally fine. Just do well and be prepared to go sort of unguided through the application process.

I only have praise for the Harvard Health Careers Program. At $660 per class (including lab), it's the best deal I can think of. There's also a great social element, great facilities and all the benefits (lectures, architecture) of the school. I highly recommend it!