Pre-Med Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am a nontraditional student at a small southern Louisiana university, hoping to attend med school after undergrad. I am currently majoring in business (I am a sophomore), and have been told by the physicians I've shadowed that is doesn't matter what your major is/was, as long as you complete the required med school prereqs. My advisor contacted the Dean of Sciences about my plans to take a year to complete the classes and the dean emailed me and stated the prerequisites are the "absolute minimum". He then went on to say that unless I was pre-med I probably would not make it into medical school. :confused:
My question is, how many of you took just the prerequisites and were admitted to med school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a med student yet, but i might be able to help you out. Pre-med isnt a major, and the physicians were right that you can major in anything youd like, including business. The required courses are a minimum, and having other science courses on your transcripts could help, but the most important thing is to have extracurricular stuff like volunteering, shadowing, and other meaningful experiences. Good luck.

Your Dean is misinformed. While science majors may have an advantage with high level science classes, the prerequisites alone will prep you sufficiently for the MCAT. In addition medical schools like John Hopkins have a great interest in students without a science major, and you would stand out to other medical schools who have a plethora of Biology majors. However, if your gpa is low in any major it will be very difficult to compete with other premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps what he meant when he said you wouldn't likely get into med school is if you only took the prereqs? With the exception of a few early admit programs, you have to have a bachelor's in addition to the 10 standard prereq classes. It doesn't matter what type of BS/BA you have, so go for whatever is interesting and do well in all your courses, particularly the sciences and anything that's writing intensive.

In addition medical schools like John Hopkins have a great interest in students without a science major, and you would stand out to other medical schools who have a plethora of Biology majors.

While this may be true, JHU does require 4 hours of biochemistry which some undergrad institutions (like mine, unfortunately) won't let you take unless you're a chem or biochem major. To me, it seems like they are filtering more for science majors than for non-science.

Get the highest possible marks, and you can get in with any major. Non-science majors are actually encouraged by some universities for more well-rounded physicians.

Hi all!
I am a nontraditional student at a small southern Louisiana university, hoping to attend med school after undergrad. I am currently majoring in business (I am a sophomore), and have been told by the physicians I've shadowed that is doesn't matter what your major is/was, as long as you complete the required med school prereqs. My advisor contacted the Dean of Sciences about my plans to take a year to complete the classes and the dean emailed me and stated the prerequisites are the "absolute minimum". He then went on to say that unless I was pre-med I probably would not make it into medical school. :confused:
My question is, how many of you took just the prerequisites and were admitted to med school?

Thanks!

When referring to the "absolute minimum," he may be referring to the fact that many schools often have "recommended" courses one should have taken before being accepted. This information can be found in the MSAR.

When referring to the "absolute minimum," he may be referring to the fact that many schools often have "recommended" courses one should have taken before being accepted. This information can be found in the MSAR.

:thumbup: It's a good idea to include 2-3 additional U.D. science courses into you degree plan, regardless of your major. Good choices are Biochemistry, Genetics, Physiology, Microbiology, and/or Immunology.

Please take Anatomy/Biochemistry/Physiology if you have time for it. You'll be so much happier first year of med school.

Are these prerequisites school specific or are they actually laid down by State Medical Boards and are required for future licensure in the respective states?

I know of schools overseas who have lesser prerequisites (and some none) than we do here in the US or in the Carib, yet I know graduates from those schools who are doing residencies and in actual medical prectice here in the states.

Since you're in Louisiana, look at the required pre-med courses for both LSU med schools. Those would be the simplest requirements to make sure you met; and then expand your circles out from there using the MSAR for schools that are OOS friendly and will admit people with stats similar to you. Prerequisites are school specific, but acroos the board typically include:
1 year Chemistry with lab
1 year Bio with lab
1 year physics
1 year Math, to include at least 1 semester calculus (possibly both for some schools)

***disclaimer - list is by no means all-inclusive, varies by school, please check your school's website, as it may require more or less than this, although most are right about here***

Since you're in Louisiana, look at the required pre-med courses for both LSU med schools. Those would be the simplest requirements to make sure you met; and then expand your circles out from there using the MSAR for schools that are OOS friendly and will admit people with stats similar to you. Prerequisites are school specific, but acroos the board typically include:
1 year Chemistry with lab
1 year Bio with lab
1 year physics
1 year Math, to include at least 1 semester calculus (possibly both for some schools)

***disclaimer - list is by no means all-inclusive, varies by school, please check your school's website, as it may require more or less than this, although most are right about here***

+ 1 year Organic Chemistry with lab?

+ 1 year Organic Chemistry with lab?

:idea:
Yes...With 1 year OChem...sometimes 1 semester OChem and 1 semester Biochem, but mostly not...

Sorry. Fast response due to wanting to try to get sleep prior to the SuperBowl. :) 3am wake-up time is no bueno, but at least I was rewarded with a good game.