Pre-Med Requirement 5 Year Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdo0251

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I am currently a freshman in college, going to be a Sophomore, on the Pre-Med path and was wondering, what are people's thought (and/or medical schools) on spacing out all your Pre-Med Requirement? For example, taking one larger science each semester, such as Biology during Sophomore Year, General Chem Junior, Organic Chem Senior, Physics 5th year with Psych, Soci, and Biochem somewhere during the four years.

Has anyone done that before? Is it looked down upon?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Bad idea. If you can't take at least two hard sciences in a semester, then med school may not be such a good option.

Moreover, you will just forget everything by the end of your hypothetical 5th year.

Reactions: 5 users
Pointless. You can take more than one or two science classes a semester and do perfectly well. It really only takes two years to get all of the pre-reqs done with a reasonable (15hour) course load. I'm all for taking more time in (or after) college if there are opportunities you want to pursue or have things you feel you need to do but if the only reason is to take lighter, more relaxed semesters then I think it's utterly pointless.

Members don't see this ad :)
You tryna take a redshirt year AND one 1 requirement a semester? Whew

Hey!

I am currently a freshman in college, going to be a Sophomore, on the Pre-Med path and was wondering, what are people's thought (and/or medical schools) on spacing out all your Pre-Med Requirement? For example, taking one larger science each semester, such as Biology during Sophomore Year, General Chem Junior, Organic Chem Senior, Physics 5th year with Psych, Soci, and Biochem somewhere during the four years.

Thank you!

At least one interviewer at each of my interviews had my transcript in front of them and commented on my course load. I think your proposed/hypothetical transcript would look sketchy, the drawn out timeline would make for a difficult MCAT (which you would take in 6 years??), and I honestly can't even imagine what there is to benefit.

Hey, nice avatar! Reppin the ATL!

You probably would only be able to do this if you're a science major and are taking more than 1 science class in a semester. I took at least 2 sciences classes a semester, and originally thought I'd take 5 years, but it turns out I only needed 4 for it. (due to timing of the MCAT I;m not able to take Biochem before I take the MCAT on a traditional 4 year schedule, so I thought I'd take 5 years, but it turns out I'll be doing a gap year instead.) I wouldn't take fewer than 2 courses a semester.

Hey!

Thank you!

The point isn't just checking a box for med schools, it is also proving you can handle a rigorous course load and succeed. If you have to space out pre-reqs into 5 years to do well, it doesn't bode well for once you have to take biochem and anatomy and histology and physiology all at once.

Reactions: 1 user
Take Biology with General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry with Physics. This is what a ton of pre-meds do (especially science majors), and it's wholly doable. Like others said, if you can't handle that, you will struggle in medical school.

I am taking two sciences a semester but just not two big science. Also, I am majoring in Communication and minor in Leadership with a Nonprofit Management Certificate if that helps .... I also want the time to get research experience, a job, and basically mature and grow a little more rather than cramming everything in without learning it .... if that helps?