Pre-Med Schools

Juniper97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a dedicated student, but for most of my high school career I've struggled with depression and OCD, resulting in a lower GPA than I would have achieved otherwise (weighted: 3.0, unweighted: 2.6). I got a 31 on the ACT, but I think I could bring it up when I retake it. My question is, what good research institutions heavily weight the ACT? Are there any good ones? I'm looking for undergraduate schools that allow students to do research as well. I'm planning on a double major in Biology and Anthropology, but things can change. Would any professors even consider giving me research opportunities due to my former lower grades?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer the ACT question, but once you get into a college, professors won't care about your high school grades (at least where I went). Also, the best pre-med school is the cheapest one with the fewest pre-meds. If you really want to go to medical school, it doesn't matter where you go to college.

As radkat said, once you have accepted to a college, you can completely forget about your high school grades. During undergrad, I can't remember ever being asked about high school. As for research, I would imagine just about every college has at least some opportunities for research. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about doing research my first semester or two. Get a feel for college life and get to know your professors. If you can show them that you can handle it, I'm sure they would be more willing to help you get started in research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think almost every college has some sort of research. Once you get into college your grades really don't matter. That sounds great doubling majoring in Anthropology and Biology (I really wanted to major in Anthropology :nod: but I decided to just major in Biology, or preferably Ecology if the school offers it, and I may minor in something like Political Science or Anthropology).

Thank you so much everyone, it means a lot that you replied :).

Reactions: 1 user
Agree and disagree with radkat101. HS grades definitely don't matter very much when you get to college. I got a research position as an incoming freshman (which many people do not do, but I was also really interested in research too), and we talked about my HS grades in my interview. There was nothing else to go off of in terms of grades! Other than my odd circumstance, I think it is fairly safe to say that you can leave your HS grades behind you upon admission. Also, I semi-agree with the "doesn't matter where you go." Go somewhere with good opportunities. Example: I have some friends who go to UW-Plateville/UW-Eau Claire/St. Norbert College, small universities that do not have large hospitals nearby. In my opinion, even though Plateville and EC are much cheaper than UW-Madison (where I go), I have had many research opportunities, great science professors, plenty of access to physician shadowing at UW-Health, etc. I wouldn't simply base it off of the fewest number of pre-meds, although I understand what radkat101 meant. It takes more effort to stand-out among the sea of pre-meds at Madison, but it can be done. Medical schools do also take the "difficulty/prestige" of your undergraduate institution into consideration. Good luck!