Pre Med Student and Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmd0418

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the jobs that you guys did to gain medical experience? I'm trying to decide what I'd like to do. I was really close to becoming a phlebotomist but the class is a two semester wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the state you are in see if you can challenge the exam. If you can't then look for short-inexpensive courses and learn the correct practice. Also look into what you need to become a scribe in your state( another good option).
Things to know:
1) CNA work is common sense
2) While is not the cleanest job- you will gain good hand on experience.
3) Your schedule will be flexible
4) You're not necessarily limited to nursing homes.

Last edited:
I got my CNA license in a 5 week summer semester (Texas). Even the longer course is only a semester. Any community college will have classes. Do your best to get a hospital job.

Edit: The scribe position is also a good option. The main reasons I chose CNA was I really wanted to be hands on and slightly better pay/full health benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my CNA license in a 5 week summer semester (Texas). Even the longer course is only a semester. Any community college will have classes. Do your best to get a hospital job.

Edit: The scribe position is also a good option. The main reasons I chose CNA was I really wanted to be hands on and slightly better pay/full health benefits.

I'm living in the state of Texas as well. So I'll look into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a pharmacy technician in a retail setting for 1.5 years now, continuing full time during my gap year. There are hospital options too but they're difficult to get without prior experience or PTCB certification.
  • It can be stressful, in terms of customer service, because you are dealing with patient's medications and they are often sick
  • There's quite a learning curve even after training, but I enjoy learning something new every day
  • Familiarity with insurance, pharmacology, Sig codes, prescription law.
  • Constant patient contact.

Pharmacy tech. Self study (use Mosby's, search Amazon), take the test, get a pretty decent paying job.

The work itself sucks but hey, so does wiping someones behind in a nursing home.

Sheesh, @lemonscientist beat me to it. Self study for the PTCB exam specifically... that is what I did.

Pharmacy tech. Self study (use Mosby's, search Amazon), take the test, get a pretty decent paying job.

The work itself sucks but hey, so does wiping someones behind in a nursing home.

Sheesh, @lemonscientist beat me to it. Self study for the PTCB exam specifically... that is what I did.

What do these jobs typically pay? And are they generally in demand?

All based on where you live. In my state, some of my pharmacy tech friends make $9-12/hour. I am certified but I have never worked as a pharmacy tech in retail, just in hospital.

I would guess they are in pretty high demand due to the massive amount of turnover, especially at places like CVS/Walgreens.

I started at about 9.50/hr and now make almost 13/hr. I don't work for one of the bigger two chains so my benefits and schedule are generally great.

I would say retail CPhT are always in demand, there's a really high burn out rate and most employees are students so someone is always leaving.

I've been working as a medical scribe and the experience has been great as I've been able to work not only in an ED, but also in several outpatient specialties.
  • You're paid to go through training which is typically some form of classroom work followed by clinical floor shifts.
  • You document the hospital/outpatient encounter and get paid to shadow.
  • It's also an easy way to get LORs since these doctors know you and your work ethic.
The only negative is that if you're working in outpatient the hours (& pay) suck. So, I would definitely try to find ER scribe work.

Last edited: