Pre-med to Pre-Optomerty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDPWetNWild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just need some advice on how to approach this. A little background on why I switched. I first wanted to do Medical so I can do ophthalmology, but my undergrad GPA is pretty low (3.1) and I bombed my MCAT 3 times. I knew that with such a low MCAT score, I wouldn't get in anywhere. I have passion for the eyes, and that's why I want to do optometry. I'm in this one year master program at USF and my GPA there is decent (3.6). Would a post Bac GPA help me? Also, all of my LOR is referred to Medical School, should I go back to my professor and ask them to switch it to Optometry school? I am shadowing a Optometrist now and I'm planning to take my OAT after my program is finished (end of July). I guess my main question is, how can I transition to this change?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think its necessary to do a post-bac just make sure you do very well on your OAT. I would ask my professors to switch it to optometry school as well. My organic chemistry professor assumed I was applying to medical school but then I corrected him which was not a big deal at all.

Hey guys,

I just need some advice on how to approach this. A little background on why I switched. I first wanted to do Medical so I can do ophthalmology, but my undergrad GPA is pretty low (3.1) and I bombed my MCAT 3 times. I knew that with such a low MCAT score, I wouldn't get in anywhere. I have passion for the eyes, and that's why I want to do optometry. I'm in this one year master program at USF and my GPA there is decent (3.6). Would a post Bac GPA help me? Also, all of my LOR is referred to Medical School, should I go back to my professor and ask them to switch it to Optometry school? I am shadowing a Optometrist now and I'm planning to take my OAT after my program is finished (end of July). I guess my main question is, how can I transition to this change?

I agree with futureeyedocgirl, you don't necessarily have to do a master. Just do very well in your OAT and you will be fine. However, doing or taking some master courses will definitely enhance your application. I was a pre-med but ended up applying to optometry school, which so far I think I've made the best decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

There's not really a major transition since the prerequisites are pretty much the same and the OAT is similar to the MCAT (but much easier). I would just inform your adviser, LOR professors, etc that you are making the transition.