Pre-med vs. Physicians Assistant

I would never go in to vet medicine. Animals are yucky.

With all seriousness though-- I can manage one pet but to take care of them, no way.

With all seriousness though-- I can manage one pet but to take care of them, no way.

Haha I agree. I'm not interested in that at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I agree. I'm not interested in that at all.

For some reason I thought you were a junior in college (I just re-read the original post). Have you taken any college courses or AP classes in high school? It's a good way to experiment with the intro science courses to see what you like and dislike. Also, it gives you a chance to get done with the painful classes like history... humanities....other boring classes.

Haha that's okay. And yes of course. I've finished 3 English credits, finishing chem now. And have taken precalc and calc I. Next year I'm taking ap biology, ap microeconomics, and ap us history and economics, and two more English credits. Plus two Spanish and two music theory credits. But those won't really count towards anything I don't think. But yes. I've been taking as much as I can. But my graduating class is 74. We don't have a whole lot of electives. But I'm doing the best I can with what we have.

For some reason I thought you were a junior in college (I just re-read the original post). Have you taken any college courses or AP classes in high school? It's a good way to experiment with the intro science courses to see what you like and dislike. Also, it gives you a chance to get done with the painful classes like history... humanities....other boring classes.

And physics next year too. I'm replying directly on this one because I forgot to on the last one :)

And physics next year too. I'm replying directly on this one because I forgot to on the last one :)

I cannot wait to take physics next year (or this fall). Do you plan on taking calc-based physics?

I cannot wait to take physics next year (or this fall). Do you plan on taking calc-based physics?

I don't believe my school offers that. But that would be interesting. What other courses have you or will you be taking?

Have you ever seen "The Amazing Dr.Pol"?

After watching that, I have zero interest in veterinary medicine.

Way more nasty....

I don't believe my school offers that. But that would be interesting. What other courses have you or will you be taking?

This summer I will be taking a chemistry 101 and english 2 at my uni.

In the fall I am going to take either:
Chemistry 1, Biology 1, Calculus 1, or Physics 1 (alg based).

Opinions? I wonder if taking Chemistry and Biology in the same semester would be too much. They would be my only class other than the electives at HS. Both would have labs :) which I'm pretty happy about.

How much are you willing to go into debt? How many years are you willing to spend in school?

Before you can become a practicing physician you will need to complete the following:

-Undergraduate School (4 years)
-Medical School (4 years, 7 if you want an MD/PhD [if you're interested in research])
-Residency (Anywhere between 3 and 7 years depending on specialty)
-Fellowship... optional, but good if you want to work at the larger, more well known, academic medical centers. (1-3 years)

So essentially-
Minimum: 11 (A practicing internal medicine doctor)
Maximum: 21 (A neurosurgeon with an MD/PhD and a fellowship in Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery)

On top of the time, there are a lot of exams. MCAT, USMLE 1, 2CK, 2CS, and 3, then about 20 shelf exams during medical school, and inservice exams every year after medical school.

Physician Assistant is much easier to become:
-4 years U grad
-2 years masters

+It pays well. $90,000 per year for only 6 years postsecondary is great ---- and you won't have as much debt as a doctor + No malpractice.

The job outlook for physicians assistant is great. 30% growth over the next 10 years. The growth rate for doctors is a solid 24% to put things in perspective.

To the OP, (if you are still following your post). I would consider the time aspect, as mentioned by this poster. I am just finishing ENT residency. It has been fun, but very busy, and it pretty much occupies nearly your entire 20s. No regrets from me, but, if you are the type of person that works well under someone's direction just as well as being your own boss, being a PA will give you a lot less stress and more free time (in you prime years) . You still have pretty high gratification from diagnosing and treating patients. PA school is relatively brief, and you will learn most of the practical knowledge you use on a day to day basis from the physician you work with, so he or she will drive the boat, so to speak. If you work with a surgeon, you won't be doing surgeries as a PA, but you get to assist and do some fun stuff like wound closures, tying etc. I think it is smart that you are considering both options. I would say if you find you are more of a workaholic/control freak/egomaniac go for a MD. It seems like we MDs all have those traits in good measure.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

To the OP, (if you are still following your post). I would consider the time aspect, as mentioned by this poster. I am just finishing ENT residency. It has been fun, but very busy, and it pretty much occupies nearly your entire 20s. No regrets from me, but, if you are the type of person that works well under someone's direction just as well as being your own boss, being a PA will give you a lot less stress and more free time (in you prime years) . You still have pretty high gratification from diagnosing and treating patients. PA school is relatively brief, and you will learn most of the practical knowledge you use on a day to day basis from the physician you work with, so he or she will drive the boat, so to speak. If you work with a surgeon, you won't be doing surgeries as a PA, but you get to assist and do some fun stuff like wound closures, tying etc. I think it is smart that you are considering both options. I would say if you find you are more of a workaholic/control freak/egomaniac go for a MD. It seems like we MDs all have those traits in good measure.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

Oh my gosh, thank you for all of the great advice. It's interesting to hear all of the sides of this. I think my workaholic and control freak type personality is what made me realize that going MD may be better. I also work in the ER, and the PA has to have every piece of work checked over by the MD that is also working. I guess I feel like I'd probably want to have the last say. But I agree the time is a major upside to the PA program. However, It's something that I love so I guess I would just have to keep my eye on the future which I'm sure you do as well. Thank you for the great insight, it's interesting to hear from someone in your shoes!

Members don't see this ad :)
High school sucks. I've taken some college classes. They're so much more interesting. The professors are more knowledgeable. Also most college campuses are really nice. There are so many more opportunities.

The professors are more knowledgeable. .

Yes and no.. it depends what you are studying. In many of the non-factual based classes professors get a big head. *cough philosophy *cough sociology

Yes and no.. it depends what you are studying. In many of the non-factual based classes professors get a big head. *cough philosophy *cough sociology

There isn't really such thing as knowledge in classes like that. It's all about perspective and critical thinking. I'm mostly referring to hard sciences though.

Haha well I love high school for the social aspect. I mean there's not much better than things like a Friday night football game. But I'm ready for a change and challenge for sure.

Haha well I love high school for the social aspect. I mean there's not much better than things like a Friday night football game. But I'm ready for a change and challenge for sure.

Send me yo twittah!!!!

WOAH everyone needs to follow me on twitter too!

@nicksteinmetz :thumbup:

I noticed you said that the family lifestyle issue of medicine doesn't concern you too much. Just remember, 5 years from now when you're in med school, or 9 years from now when you're a resident, or 12-17 years from now when you're a freely practicing physician (depending on specialty), your view on that subject is likely to have changed.

All of the reasons I am passionate about medicine revolve specializing in cancer.

http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-All-Maladies-Biography-Cancer/dp/1439170916

If you think you want to go into oncology, you must read this book. It's a long one and is primarily a history of cancer research/treatment but it really is excellent and will open your mind to the joy and devastations that come daily to an oncologist.

Applications are due in September of senior year for the PA program for them to be on time for full consideration.

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean, but PA is a master's degree so you wouldn't be applying for that out of high school. Are you wanting to go to some kind of 4+2 early decision program or something?

Also, if you want to be a PA, you need to find a way to start working in health care (as in direct patient care) while you are in undergrad, or else get certified in something and work for a year or two either before or after undergrad. It is near impossible to get into PA school without real health care work experience, meaning it is a definite trick to become a licensed PA in 6 years flat out of high school.

How's that internship at the fire department going?

Did that donald trump make you think like a champion? :naughty:

The Fire Department is sweet, I ride on the ambulance and have learned a lot!

And Donald Trump once tweeted at me believe it or not. I'm a big fan of his! Stalker ;)

I noticed you said that the family lifestyle issue of medicine doesn't concern you too much. Just remember, 5 years from now when you're in med school, or 9 years from now when you're a resident, or 12-17 years from now when you're a freely practicing physician (depending on specialty), your view on that subject is likely to have changed.

http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-All-Maladies-Biography-Cancer/dp/1439170916

If you think you want to go into oncology, you must read this book. It's a long one and is primarily a history of cancer research/treatment but it really is excellent and will open your mind to the joy and devastations that come daily to an oncologist.

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean, but PA is a master's degree so you wouldn't be applying for that out of high school. Are you wanting to go to some kind of 4+2 early decision program or something?

Also, if you want to be a PA, you need to find a way to start working in health care (as in direct patient care) while you are in undergrad, or else get certified in something and work for a year or two either before or after undergrad. It is near impossible to get into PA school without real health care work experience, meaning it is a definite trick to become a licensed PA in 6 years flat out of high school.

Wow thank you! And family does matter to me to a point. But I don't know that I really want kids of my own. I will check out the book, thank you for the recommendation! Also, yes it is a 4+2 program. You have to go in with 80 hours of shadowing a physician. Which I have. It is a freshman application program. However, after all of the feedback and shadowing the MDs in the Emergency Room, I'm pretty positive about going through med school. Thank you so much for your help!

I don't know, but I'm hoping to go all the way for an MD.

I see some of you don't like veterinary medicine...........lol

I'm a junior in high school, and am going through EMT classes. I was looking at becoming a physicians assistant, and was wondering how useful becoming and EMT would be because I am so young? Would it matter what type of collage I go to, and what degree I should get? Also do PA schools look at high school grades? I would be thankful for any advise anyone could offer, thank you!

I'm a junior in high school, and am going through EMT classes. I was looking at becoming a physicians assistant, and was wondering how useful becoming and EMT would be because I am so young? Would it matter what type of collage I go to, and what degree I should get? Also do PA schools look at high school grades? I would be thankful for any advise anyone could offer, thank you!

Being an EMT this early is beneficial. There are certain prerequisite courses you must fulfill in college in order to apply to PA school, as long as you fulfill those then you will be fine for PA school. I believe there are some schools that offer bachelor degrees in emergency medicine services.

I do not have experience in PA admissions so I do not know if they look at high school grades.

There are no health professional schools that look at high school grades. In fact I don't think there is any form of graduate education whatsoever for which high school grades matter.

I definitely advocate working in the healthcare setting if you can before you take on the debt and stress. EMT is a great route because you get lots of patient contact, meets tons of docs, nurses, PAs, etc, and get an overall great understanding of how the hospital (ED especially) functions. Becoming an EMT made me realize I want to become a physician. Once you actually talk to, treat, and advocate for patients on a day to day basis, you have invaluable insight. Shadowing and working as a scribe etc is fantastic experience but having a job in the healthcare system where you hold some responsibility for patients and see things first hand can really be a make it or break it.

Good luck to you all on your pursuit. Being a nontrad, I really wish I knew what I wanted in my junior year of HS.

during junior year of hs I was worried more about my wrestling season. dont forget to be a kid please. I sincerely mean that. An emt cert is fantastic this early though. try to utilize during undergrad while taking the basic prerequisites for health professions to get your feet wet.

Reactions: 1 user
you should seriously consider dentistry. and this is from someone who is already through medical school... its great. a little medicine, surgery...you can deal with cancers if you want as well as radiology and a bunch of other stuff. the pay is good and the hours are great. and the training is shorter.

I'm a junior in high school currently, and had been battling with which path to take. I have currently been leaning towards going all the way to becoming an MD. I'm not very focused on the family aspect of things so this seems okay, but I was looking for more insight.
Realize this aspect will change A LOT by the time you enter college and med school - as will many of your priorities. In terms of eventually having a family and having a "family life", PA is more amenable to that vs. MD. Something to keep in mind. There are other healthcare fields in which you are still the "head" person in charge. In medicine, that is changing somewhat with team-based care.