Pre-Medical Universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone provide me with some insight on how I can check the previous universities which students went to that got accepted to medical school? Would this be something available to the public or would I need to call the schools and request this info?

(I want to look at the universities students went to that got accepted to Baylor and UTH specifically.)

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes the school's website itself will have the matriculant stats on it. Worth checking there first.

A lot of the time you can google "[xyz medical school] class profile" and get a list of schools or at least regions that people came from. Not all schools do this, but some do.

Baylor states on their website "
Does one undergraduate degree/institution hold more “weight” with the admissions committee than another?

No."
https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faq

However, as per the same page, many more Texas residents matriculate to Baylor than non-Texans.

UTH I think takes exclusively (or overwhelmingly predominantly) Texans.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the time you can google "[xyz medical school] class profile" and get a list of schools or at least regions that people came from. Not all schools do this, but some do.

Baylor states on their website "
Does one undergraduate degree/institution hold more “weight” with the admissions committee than another?

No."
https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faq

However, as per the same page, many more Texas residents matriculate to Baylor than non-Texans.

UTH I think takes exclusively (or overwhelmingly predominantly) Texans.

There is a law that requires all colleges in Texas to accept 90% of students from in-state. I have lived in Texas my entire life, so this will not be of concern.
I am wanting to attend UTH, Baylor, or UTMB after I choose which university I'd like to transfer to and graduate from with my B.S. I am leaning towards attending SFA, though more prestigious universities would more than likely accept me considering my accomplishments and GPA (UT Austin, A&M, Texas Tech, etc.) Hopefully, the medical schools I apply to will care more about myself, rather than which university I attended, which I see Baylor does.

I found the student profile of UTSW students, but other than that, I could not find any other Texas med schools that have an accessible student profile. (I emailed a few of the medical schools to see if I could see their student profiles.)
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/our-students.html

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
A lot of schools that claim they have "90% of their premed applicants are accepted into med school first try" are only like that because they refuse to write premed committee letters for weaker applicants screwing them over as a result so they end up not applying to med school. Its kind of self selecting if you get to decide which of your students can apply for med school or not.

Reactions: 1 user
gonnif and Spector1 hit this on the head. On a similar note: I attended college in the South. There is a huge disparity in admittance difficulty between many southern state's MD schools (e.g., Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas) compared to many MD state schools in the north (e.g., Massachusetts, Pennsylvania) (can't even discuss up California). It's misleading for my southern college to say, as Spector1 says, "90% of their pre-med applicants are accepted into med school first try," mainly because they will literally not let them apply to medical school! "Oh, you have a 3.3 and a 26 MCAT. Well, how about you think about PA school, because not only will I not give you a committee letter for MD, but you are not allowed to even get LORs from professors without our committee's approval. Darnit!" So when you combine the fact that many of the kids from my college ended up going to southern state MD medical schools (still difficult, don't get me wrong) with the refusal of a committee to back many students, you really have to laugh at any of the statistics they provide. And as gonnif says, defining a pre-med itself is impossible! Incredibly, when parents get tours of the schools, they ogle when they hear numbers like "90% of our pre-med..." Just as MD admissions is a complicated game, so is undergraduate admissions.

Reactions: 2 users