About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Pre-meds, have you ever failed a test in college?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Chris127, Sep 21, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Chris127

Chris127 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Just got my not so hot chem test back, not really thrilled about it. Its a bit discouraging when you show up at college and your first exam isnt really what you had hoped it would be. Oh well. :( Anyone else ever fail an exam in college?
  2. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated

SDN 10+ Year Member

I failed my 2nd Orgo I exam (even after the damn thing was curved)...it was all downhill from there for that class.
  3. IgweEmeka

IgweEmeka Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    dude.....i've failed many exams. But I still have above a 3.7 gpa. its all about bouncing back and doing better. How good are u under pressure? If you are good, then you will fair well otherwise, goodluck.
  4. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer Bronze Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    failed a test? ahahah.
    relax man.
  5. Indryd

Indryd

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I topped the curve with a 43/100 once.
  6. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I would always fail an exam in a class that offered a drop grade. I would try to do well on the first tests so I didn't have to take the last one. I got several 0's :)
  7. Enginerd42

Enginerd42 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    hehe, I don't think that's what the OP was refering to, but I also "failed" a final, once I realized that my 3 midterms gave me an A in the class and allowed me to drop it. That's always worth taking advantage of! :D
  8. DownonthePharm

DownonthePharm Chillin' n Fillin'

Pharmacist
    NCPA SDN 5+ Year Member
    Oh dear. Ive had some organic tests Ive turned in with just my name on them. :D
  9. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You got a long way to go buddy... failing a test is no sweat... failing a class is what you should avoid like the south during hurricane season :( . Study hard for the next one... take time to get used to the college swing... you'll be bangin out A's in no time ;)
  10. Darth Asclepius

Darth Asclepius Dark Lord of the Sith

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I failed a biochem test that I studied my ass off for. That was really frustrating. My professor had a policy that if you did better on the cumulative final than any individual exam, you could replace that exam grade with the final (great policy, I think since it requires you to master the material). Suck it up and move on. If you dwell on it, that won't help you do better on the next test. Figure out what the problem was (did you not study enough? not study the right things? didn't work enough problems? just don't understand?) and fix it. Good luck with the next test.
  11. PineappleGirl

PineappleGirl Sweet and Juicy!

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I failed several tests in calculus, including the final, but I still managed to get a D in the class, thanks to the kindness of the prof. I don't think he understood how someone could always show up for class, do the problem sets and appear to be paying attention yet fail to understand anything.

Like the poster above, however, I still have a high overall GPA. Calc was my biggest screw up.
  12. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I've failed a few, but my best was freshman year... I got a 44% on my first exam in general chemistry, because I didn't realize there was a periodic table attached to the back of the test. I couldn't figure out how we were supposed to do the problems without one. My prof let me retake it the following morning and I got an 87.... I am still so thankful to that man...
  13. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Oh yeah...I failed 2 exams for Calulus in my freshman year. I still wonder how I passed that class.
  14. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    One class was funny. The prof said you had to take the final but that the final could be your drop grade. I had an A going into the final so I showed up, wrote my name on the paper, filled in all Cs (it was part multiple guess), drew a couple of pictures for the short answer (for one question, I drew a picture of me as a gladiator fighting a bacteriophage) and turned it in. The TA gave me a weird look when I turned the exam in - it was funny :laugh:

BTW, this was a microbiology test.
  15. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The first test in Orgo 2 was worth 150 points, and it was curved. The average was a 100, which would make that score borderline C+/B-. I got a 31. Yeah...I think that constitutes failing :)

I ended up withdrawing from the course because I obviously didn't have the basics from Orgo 1, and did well when I retook it in the summer and actually had time to back and relearn Orgo 1. Keep your head up...you'll be fine!
  16. CTSballer11

CTSballer11 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

I had a class like that and I did not even show up for the final. It was pretty sweet.
  17. I once got an A-...
  18. veridisquo

veridisquo Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Are you kidding me?

Chem I - 57% on the second exam. I tried to teach myself three chapters of material in three hours. I got a 97% on the other three exams, and an A on the final, so I ended up making an A.

Chem II - 50%. Again, I tried to teach myself three chapters of material in the few hours right before the exam. I earned A's on all the other exams, though, so I ended up making an A... although I still don't know how to create a buffer.

Organic I - First exam, 64%. I thought I was going to have to drop. Then I found out the class average was in the 30's. I made an A in the course.

Biology practical - Out of 55 questions, I was only sure that 5 were correct. I don't remember the exact percentage; it was in the 40s. I ended up with an A in the course because all my other grades were As.

I also got a 45% on a history exam, a 50something% on a theatre appreciation exam, that sort of thing.

I have a 3.9 and fail about two exams a semester. That's life.
  19. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    actually, no.
  20. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I failed a final my first semester b/c i had found out 5 minutes before walking into it that my gf collapsed and was in the CCU. Fortunately my prof let me retake it.
  21. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I made a 40 on my Phys 1 test, and somehow managed to pull an A... *shrug*
  22. Hindiana_Jones

Hindiana_Jones

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member

I absolutely agree with this statement. I failed the first science test I took in undegrad in gen chem. I got a 24 out of 120. The class average was a 20, the class was super hard, and I ended up with a B and a LOR from the professor b/c I worked really hard. I also failed my first orgo exam...and my first calc exam...and well, those two classes didn't go so well. Its okay. Go over what you would have done differently, how you would have studied differently, and go into the office hours and go over the exam with the professor.
  23. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I failed my second Calculus 1 test during my first quarter at college. That led to a C :eek: in the class, and thankfully my lowest grade in college.
  24. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Mr. Burns, are you secretly my twin? The almost exact same thing happened to me in
    Orgo 2 as well, and I did drop and retake with an A in the summer. Spooky.
  25. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Failed? No. Worse than that.....my final exam in Spanish 101- which I had never taken before, had dropped at the beginning of the semester (due to being in a very bad car accident- there is a period of a couple of months where I remember next to nothing that happened)....or rather thought I had dropped....found out the day before the final that I was still in the class and could have pulled a C with an A on the exam. How'd I do? This sums it up:
    [​IMG] BTW, I'm the kid. ;) :smuggrin:
  26. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Haha, relax, man. I've got a good GPA, and I've failed more than a few chem exams. In a class where there weren't any dropped exams, I still failed two of the three. :p

Don't worry - most profs will offer ways for you to pick up the slack if necessary.
  27. juiceman311

juiceman311 Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    A normal human has 10 fingers right? Yeah, I've failed more tests than I can count on both hands...pre-med Engineering, gotta love it.