Pre-meds, how do you know if you're interested in an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezuswest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I go to school/work/volunteer in a very economically diverse area, and the types of patients we see reflects this. We have sprawling, multimillion dollar mansions and abject poverty within a 20 minute drive of each other, all down one road. As a result, I started thinking about the differences in health outcomes that would come as a result of this. The intersection of median family income, overall quality of life, and its relationship to existing healthcare policy is really interesting to me.

I've done some research on the forums about this topic, and apart from the perceived boost in marketability that a graduate degree in public health would offer you (which the consensus seems to be that it doesn't), how else would you know if taking two years for an MPH before medical school is the right decision for someone with zero experience in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Former Pre-Med Student, Current MPH Student Perspective:
I knew immediately I didn't want to be a doctor the first night I shadowed in the ER. It was while I was watching a MRSA cyst being popped on a morbidly obese woman that I realized there has to be a better way! :nurse: The cliche that public health treats the population as the patient is true, and there is more potential to make an impact imho! Working in PH and practicing medicine can be very different! Are you really a people-person?

If you're serious about getting your MD and MPH, look into duel degree programs. Many people will warn you that an MPH is not worth getting just to help you get into med school. Also, you'll want to seriously consider the debt load that you are talking about. I'll be going ~$70,000 in just for my MPH!

If you're still in undergrad, take a couple PH classes! Ones covering U.S. healthcare system and epidemiology were my favorites. A lot of the other curriculum mostly covers effective program implementation and is more theory-based.

Lastly, figure out what specific jobs interest you. Google "what does a biostatician/epidemiologist/Health Dept Dir. do?". Network and talk to people! There are so many things you can do. I am currently interning the the healthcare consulting field and love it. Most jobs in PH are in government/non-profit though. What are your aspirations?

Mirroring a bit of what @MPH420 said, looking into a dual degree might be a prudent choice. But if your end goal is to be a clinical physician, I would say just set your targets there and explore MPH opportunities after you graduate from your medical education. While a MPH will help you gain perspective on health research and the medical system, it won't substantially alter your ability to get into a medical program directly (but it may cause you to grow and round yourself better as an applicant).

If you do the MPH during med school (after 2nd or 3rd year of med school), or after med school, you can do it in a year, versus 2 years if you do it before. I highly recommend doing it during/after.