Pre-meds with ADHD, how do you manage/study/plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luxetvoluptas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on how you've done, so far. It's likely that you'll be doing damage control—retaking courses you've previously failed, and acing new courses.

Make sure you give yourself structure! To-do lists and schedules are your new best friends. It will make it easier for you to manage your progress without stressing yourself out.

And something I can't say enough: find a mentor. Anyone you find admirable at your institution—find them, and build a relationship with them. It will be difficult for you to find meaning in your work without their help.

Reactions: 1 user
Coming from someone who has ADHD, go to a quiet place and try to get rid of all distractions when studying. Another big thing is taking your medicine at the proper time so your fully alert when you are studying. For example, my medicine lasts 4 hours at a time, so right before I'm about to study/go to class I usually take one. Organization is a big key to success as well. Lastly, do you have enough time to finish tests? Are you usually the last one to finish? You could apply for extra time accommodations which could help improve your academic performance. Message me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I no longer take medication for this. I have been very successful in school in part to allowing time for studying. During the school year I don't do much socially as I am determined to become a doctor and I know myself and my distractibility. It's getting better as time goes on but for me I have found it best to leave my phone in the other room as I can quickly turn to it within 10-15 minutes of starting to study. It definitely would make school easier for me if I took meds, but it is also gratifying to be doing well off medication and overcoming this crap on my own. Work through it and learn about yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
I no longer take medication for this. I have been very successful in school in part to allowing time for studying. During the school year I don't do much socially as I am determined to become a doctor and I know myself and my distractibility. It's getting better as time goes on but for me I have found it best to leave my phone in the other room as I can quickly turn to it within 10-15 minutes of starting to study. It definitely would make school easier for me if I took meds, but it is also gratifying to be doing well off medication and overcoming this crap on my own. Work through it and learn about yourself.

Spot. Freaking. On

Also, get your sleep (whatever amount is necessary) ! If you're sleep deprived and have ADD, focusing and ignoring distractions can be much more difficult.

No offense, but you also may have been one of the ones who was overdiagnosed. I've tried to convince myself that my ADD is mind over matter and if I just focus really hard I can do it. But it just. Doesn't. Work. And it's incredibly frustrating. I would love to be able to pull myself out of it, but theoretically people wth ADD/ADHD can't.

No offense taken. And I'm not going to write my whole life story and articles I have read and how many doctors my parents took me too to see "what's wrong with me". Scientific studies and different treatments are showing quite the opposite. Information is starting to come out saying that practicing concentration can help improve symptoms. I'll leave it at that since I'm about to fall asleep but I will say this. Another aspect that has helped me a lot is a lot of prayer and talking to God to help me focus. (I do not want any bashing of this by stating it. Just relaying my experience.)

Reactions: 1 users
No offense taken. And I'm not going to write my whole life story and articles I have read and how many doctors my parents took me too to see "what's wrong with me". Scientific studies and different treatments are showing quite the opposite. Information is starting to come out saying that practicing concentration can help improve symptoms. I'll leave it at that since I'm about to fall asleep but I will say this. Another aspect that has helped me a lot is a lot of prayer and talking to God to help me focus. (I do not want any bashing of this by stating it. Just relaying my experience.)

Must.... Resist.........

Coming from someone who has ADHD, go to a quiet place and try to get rid of all distractions when studying. Another big thing is taking your medicine at the proper time so your fully alert when you are studying. For example, my medicine lasts 4 hours at a time, so right before I'm about to study/go to class I usually take one. Organization is a big key to success as well. Lastly, do you have enough time to finish tests? Are you usually the last one to finish? You could apply for extra time accommodations which could help improve your academic performance. Message me if you have any questions.

I also have ADHD and I completely agree with this. Also, I have two different medications. One that last about 7ish hours so if I have a day of classes I'll take this one then if I have classes literally all day I'll take the medication first thing in the morning then I'll take my 4 hour for my later courses.

If I have the day off and I'm just studying I take only my four hour and not the longer lasting. So depending on how your medication is you could try this as well.

Finally, my doctor told me this and I don't know if others say it as well but on your days completely off don't take the medicine and give yourself a little "rest".

It's very good that you were able to decide for yourself that you didn't need the medication; too many people in this country are diagnosed with ADHD who don't even need to be. However, (though I don't think you intended to do this) I caution you from undermining the importance of the medication for those who really need it. Not getting necessary ADHD medication has casued problems, such as people to "self-medicate" by substance abusing and people getting into car accidents from daydreaming. A psychiatrist whom I'm shadowing shared these tidbits of info with me.

It's very good that you were able to decide for yourself that you didn't need the medication; too many people in this country are diagnosed with ADHD who don't even need to be. However, (though I don't think you intended to do this) I caution you from undermining the importance of the medication for those who really need it. Not getting necessary ADHD medication has casued problems, such as people to "self-medicate" by substance abusing and people getting into car accidents from daydreaming. A psychiatrist whom I'm shadowing shared these tidbits of info with me.
Yep, ADD requiring medication heavily runs in my family... my mom was one of the ones who daydreamed while driving and totaled someone's three-day-old Mercedes when she ran a red light for no reason. :(