Pre-Optometry Club at other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitlinfollansbee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone--

I'm fairly new and have found SDN to have great info for my plans to apply to Optometry school. Thank you to all who post!

Did anyone go to school in undergrad that had specifically a Pre-Optometry club? (Not just Pre-Health) I go to the University of Memphis and a friend and I are trying to start one, but we're having trouble finding enough (at least 10) students to form a club. We have sent an email out through the Biology department's advisor, and are awaiting responses.

Our plans are to speak with different optometrists in the Memphis area, connect with Southern College of Optometry here in Memphis, speak with optometrists involved with the Church Health Center (a free clinic in Memphis that also has dentists and physicians), and connect with some ophthalmologists. I have connections at the Church Health Center, the Toyos Clinic, Charles Retina Institute, and the two optometrists I work for now. Student doctors from SCO also have a clinic set up at the U of M for students and we'd like to speak with them, too.

We are looking for ideas to get people interested in Optometry on campus and build relationships with optometrists and ophthalmologists in the area.

Does anyone have any experience in a Pre-Optometry club on their campus or have any ideas for other things we could help introduce other interested students to?

We are really excited to hopefully partner with optometrists and ophthalmologists, as well as SCO, to promote the importance of yearly eye exams, educating people on eye health, as well as introduce students in the science departments to Optometry as a career choice, all on the University of Memphis campus.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated! We are looking forward to meeting more students with similar interests, as I only know one other person interested in Optometry at this point!
A little about me--

I am a non-traditional student going back to school after earning a degree in Journalism with a concentration in Advertising. I graduated in 2012, accepted an internship in sales/advertising, found that I was unhappy, and decided to pursue Optometry, as it is what I've wanted to do since high school. I took a year off of school, worked that entire year, and decided I wasn't happy and went back to school in order to complete my prerequisites to apply to Optometry school. I'm currently looking at Southern College of Optometry (both of the doctors I work for graduated from there), as well as Nova Southeastern University, and Pacific University at this time. I will be taking the OAT next spring/summer and applying for the 2016 year.

Thanks in advance to all who have ideas or who can help. I'm really excited to see what we can do on campus to introduce undecided students to the world of Optometry!

- Caitlin

Members don't see this ad.

You could offer workshops on completing pre-reqs, invite speakers, optometrists or admissions people from schools.

Also check if there is a Lions Club or organization that does free vision screenings, that would be a nice volunteer opportunity for students. Could also potentially raise enough money to go on a trip to do vision screenings in 3rd world country.

My university had a Facebook page for the pre-opt club and admissions counselors from various schools would also have permission to view and post.

Congrats on optometry!

http://optometryadmissions.com/2014/06/16/help-your-pre-optometry-club-be-even-more-successful/

Last edited: