Pre-PA Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherlock21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start my junior year this fall at Ohio State, and I only recently decided I want to pursue the PA route. I'm a little bit behind on my prerequisites, so far I only have Bio 1 and chem 1 completed. My GPA is a 3.3 and I got an A in bio and a C in chem (and this was at a community college). My first question is, I want to finish all my chemistry pre-reqs at the CC, and take everything else including upper division at OSU. The chem department there is known for being very hard, but i'm currently taking physiology here and I don't find it very difficult. I think the reason i'm doing well in physio is because I really liked my bio teacher at the CC and they are much better at teaching the same material compared to a university. Is it a bad idea to finish my chems at CC if I take everything else (Cell bio, anatomy, micro, etc.) at OSU? Second, i'm taking a class this fall to become an STNA and shadowing a PA this summer as well as doing research. How helpful is this on my application? Lastly, i'm an african-american male, and I know there's a curve for minorities for medical school, is it the same case with PA schools? I know this is a lot but I would appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully you'll still get this. Taking Chem at a cc shouldn't be a problem. I took bio 1 & 2 and Gen Chem 1 & 2 at my local cc and I'll be attending my state school for PA in August. Get your GPA to around 3.5 and get some healthcare experience ASAP. You should have a good shot at Findlay and the other state schools in Ohio. Any shadowing and HCE helps. I myself am an African American male and I'm not sure if it helped. Every school I interviewed at I got into but got rejected by 3 schools. So it all depends on your application and most importantly your interview. Focus on your grades and HCE and shadow that PA as long as you can, be interested and active as possible and use them for a LOR. PM Me if you have any other questions.

Hopefully you'll still get this. Taking Chem at a cc shouldn't be a problem. I took bio 1 & 2 and Gen Chem 1 & 2 at my local cc and I'll be attending my state school for PA in August. Get your GPA to around 3.5 and get some healthcare experience ASAP. You should have a good shot at Findlay and the other state schools in Ohio. Any shadowing and HCE helps. I myself am an African American male and I'm not sure if it helped. Every school I interviewed at I got into but got rejected by 3 schools. So it all depends on your application and most importantly your interview. Focus on your grades and HCE and shadow that PA as long as you can, be interested and active as possible and use them for a LOR. PM Me if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it and i'll definitely let you know if I have any more questions!