Pre-phamacy Club Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTCPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm starting a pre-pharmacy club at my school, and its going well so far. I've met with a few other students and we started working on the constitution, deciding what we wanted the club to be about, etc. Anyhow, the hard part is deciding who will be the first officers. Since no one really knows each other yet, voting seems kind of pointless. I have heard of "appointing" the first officers, but then who would do that and how would they decide? The club was my idea...so I guess I'm the founder or whatever, but I would feel uncomfortable naming myself (or anyone else for that matter) as president. Any suggestions on a smooth way to kick this thing off? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

UTCPharm said:
Hi guys,
I'm starting a pre-pharmacy club at my school, and its going well so far. I've met with a few other students and we started working on the constitution, deciding what we wanted the club to be about, etc. Anyhow, the hard part is deciding who will be the first officers. Since no one really knows each other yet, voting seems kind of pointless. I have heard of "appointing" the first officers, but then who would do that and how would they decide? The club was my idea...so I guess I'm the founder or whatever, but I would feel uncomfortable naming myself (or anyone else for that matter) as president. Any suggestions on a smooth way to kick this thing off? Thanks in advance :)

You have to step up and assume control. It was your idea. Proclaim yourself the president and ask people you trust if they want to be officers. If you don't know them, ask if they have a decent amount of time to devote to the club... then ask them if they want to be an officer. You'll get to know these people after a little while. Heck, have a short lunch with some of them and just socialize a little bit.

If I were you, I'd look into partnering with pharmacy students at a nearby pharmacy school. Look into contacting the APhA-ASP chapter of that school (American Pharmacists Association, Academy of Student Pharmacists) they may be able to help you a great deal.

Hey- I just started a pre pharmacy club at my school this semester too...my advice is just to not have named officers your first semester, you and your core people can lead the meetings and then have elections next semester if neccessary once your club is established...most ppl will recognize u as a leader anyway...good luck