pre-pharm, PCAT & Dr. Collins questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmetori2424

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So pretty much everywhere I have looked regarding PCAT prep mentions Dr. Collins being the best. From what I have been able to find, the only place that has it is their official website which lists it for over $300. I looked elsewhere (amazon, ebay, etc.), but was unable to find it for cheaper. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions as to where I should look? Also, when should I take the PCAT? I just finished my freshman year of college, but am taking summer courses/doubling up on courses in order to graduate a year early (from a traditional undergrad w/ a chemistry and a spanish bachelor's degrees). I hope to graduate in may 2016. Also, how should I go about getting experience? I'm taking o chem, physical chem, physics, and a spanish elective. I feel like having a job on top of that might be too much. I've already applied to different pharmacies, but no one seems to want to hire me seasonally and/or without experience. I feel kind of like a lost puppy here (I don't know anyone who is pre-pharm, or went to pharmacy school) so any tips/suggestions regarding the whole pre-pharm track and everything that it involves(even if I didn't specifically ask) is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This early on I would suggest looking to your schools pre-pharmacy club. They are a great source to meet peers, volunteer ops, and connections to pharmacists willing to help.
Is this really "early on"? My advisor told me that I need to take the PCAT this winter/spring. Also, my school doesn't have a pre-pharmacy Club. I go to a very small school and there is only one other pre-pharmacy student, and she is the same year as me (until I skip a year). Also, there hasn't been a pre-pharmacy student in a couple years. I go to a very very small school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure why any advising office would tell a student to take a standardized test before completing the proper background. You should finish your pre reqs first so that the test is simply a review. If you don't have a club, form one. That's an automatic leadership role that you can put down. If not that, then join a pre med club.

excellent advice there !! :thumbup::thumbup:

excellent advice there !! :thumbup::thumbup:
So if you were trying to graduate in 3 years, when would you take the PCAT? This semester I'm taking ochem I, physics I, and physical chem. Next semester I'm taking ochem II, physics II, analytical chem, and stats. The following semester ill be taking anatomy, and biochem, and my last semester I'm taking microbiology (if everything works out). I've already taken chem I/II, Calc I/II, but only bio II (My advisor told me I didn't need bio I, but I've seen a lot of schools that require it). When do schools expect you to take it, compared to when you apply.

So if you were trying to graduate in 3 years, when would you take the PCAT? This semester I'm taking ochem I, physics I, and physical chem. Next semester I'm taking ochem II, physics II, analytical chem, and stats. The following semester ill be taking anatomy, and biochem, and my last semester I'm taking microbiology (if everything works out). I've already taken chem I/II, Calc I/II, but only bio II (My advisor told me I didn't need bio I, but I've seen a lot of schools that require it).

imho it is not about when you graduate but it is about when you have enough background for the PCAT. I would have at least Gen Bio 1 & 2, Gen Chem 1 & 2, O Chem 1 at the minimum before taking the PCAT. And ideally you would like to have some time to study for the PCAT. So you might take the PCAT sometime this Fall '14 or Spring '15 semester as you got the minimum then.

When do schools expect you to take it, compared to when you apply.

Most school usually like to see your PCAT taken within the last 2-3 years to consider the score valid. (You need to check with the individual schools you are applying to know how old the PCAT they are still considering). You can take the PCAT in September of the year right before the year which you want to matriculate. For example, if you want to enter pharmacy school in the Fall '16, you can take the PCAT in September '15 the latest. You do not want to take it so late like in January '16 because that will not leave enough time for PharmCAS to receive, post, and send your PCAT score to schools in time to meet deadlines. (February and March are the latest deadlines for PharmCAS applications).

You said you want to graduate in 2016 (May 2016). So imho, there is no rush to take the PCAT now in Winter/Spring. You should take it in the Summer '15 as that would be better when you have already finished all the prereqs. You do not have to take the PCAT with bare minimum and will have more time to prepare for it then.

So pretty much everywhere I have looked regarding PCAT prep mentions Dr. Collins being the best. From what I have been able to find, the only place that has it is their official website which lists it for over $300. I looked elsewhere (amazon, ebay, etc.), but was unable to find it for cheaper. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions as to where I should look? Also, when should I take the PCAT? I just finished my freshman year of college, but am taking summer courses/doubling up on courses in order to graduate a year early (from a traditional undergrad w/ a chemistry and a spanish bachelor's degrees). I hope to graduate in may 2016. Also, how should I go about getting experience? I'm taking o chem, physical chem, physics, and a spanish elective. I feel like having a job on top of that might be too much. I've already applied to different pharmacies, but no one seems to want to hire me seasonally and/or without experience. I feel kind of like a lost puppy here (I don't know anyone who is pre-pharm, or went to pharmacy school) so any tips/suggestions regarding the whole pre-pharm track and everything that it involves(even if I didn't specifically ask) is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

are you still looking for Dr. Collins? I have it