Pre pharmacy major transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaylorDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm attending Baylor in the fall which is a great school but does not have a pharmacy school. There is a pharmacy program there... But I was wondering if I should tranfer to maybe UT Austin to get better advising to prepare to apply for their pharmacy school.
Do you guys think that will give me a better chave of getting in?
Please reply thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm attending Baylor in the fall which is a great school but does not have a pharmacy school. There is a pharmacy program there... But I was wondering if I should tranfer to maybe UT Austin to get better advising to prepare to apply for their pharmacy school.
Do you guys think that will give me a better chave of getting in?
Please reply thanks

it does NOT matter much where you go to school for applying to pharmacy schools. Build up you GPA/prereqs/letters of recommendation/extracurricular/pharmacy experience, and ace the PCAT are all you have to do.

If you like Baylor, stay there and do great! GL :)

I graduated from Baylor! :) You don't have to transfer. They have all the necessary pre reqs there. Just make sure you look up what classes are required for the pharmacy schools you're applying too. If you can, instead of taking the Nursing Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 2401 and 2402), take Human Physiology (BIO 3xxx) and Human Anatomy (BIO 3425). I took both upper level classes and it helped me tremendously on the PCAT. I barely studied after taking those classes, since most of it was review, and scored >90%. Schools will also look more favorable if you take the upper level Microbiology (BIO 4401) instead of the Nursing Microbiology (BIO 1402) as well. :)

The professors are incredibly nice and have a lot of office hours, which makes it a lot easier to get letters of recommendations.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Baylor and the classes/professors there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much. When did you apply to pharmacy school? And what kind of activities did you do to build your resume?

Most schools don't really show strong/significant preference to their own undergraduate students (a notable exception that comes to mind in your general geographic area is Southwestern OK State). For the most part, completing you pre-reqs at any reputable institution (such as Baylor) will put you on a level playing field with other applicants.

Most schools don't really show strong/significant preference to their own undergraduate students (a notable exception that comes to mind in your general geographic area is Southwestern OK State). For the most part, completing you pre-reqs at any reputable institution (such as Baylor) will put you on a level playing field with other applicants.
You're right. I just wasn't sure if UT would be better in advising me the best way to get into their school.

I graduated from Baylor! :) You don't have to transfer. They have all the necessary pre reqs there. Just make sure you look up what classes are required for the pharmacy schools you're applying too. If you can, instead of taking the Nursing Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 2401 and 2402), take Human Physiology (BIO 3xxx) and Human Anatomy (BIO 3425). I took both upper level classes and it helped me tremendously on the PCAT. I barely studied after taking those classes, since most of it was review, and scored >90%. Schools will also look more favorable if you take the upper level Microbiology (BIO 4401) instead of the Nursing Microbiology (BIO 1402) as well. :)

The professors are incredibly nice and have a lot of office hours, which makes it a lot easier to get letters of recommendations.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Baylor and the classes/professors there!
Did you complete your pre reqs in the first 2 years?

Did you complete your pre reqs in the first 2 years?

No I actually got a Bachelors in Biology. I did finish 1 semester early though and now I'm working as a pharmacy technician until I start school in the fall.

Incarnate Word. It's the only school I applied to xD