Pre-physical therapy basic questions. NEED ANSWERS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJYMERCED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About how long would it to become a physical therapy?

What are the education requirements? (I know you need a at least a bachelors degree to get into a pt program, but is there a certain degree they like the most?)

Any other ways to make my resume better for a pt program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello AJYMERCED,

I highly recommned checking out the APTA's information for prospective students: http://www.apta.org/ProspectiveStudents/ as it holds the answers to MANY questions pertaining the PT education and career.

Anyway, to answer your questions as briefly as possible, it'll take anywhere between 2.5-3.5 years to complete an entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program. This is a clinical doctorate, not a research doctorate, i.e., Ph.D. The length of the program depends solely on the program you choose to attend. More information about this can be drawn from the specific school's PT website. You may find some Masters degree for PT like in CA, but those are being phased out for the DPT degree. Overall, with a Bachelors, total education for a PT would be approximately (if everything goes right and you enter as a traditional student) 6.5-7.5 years.

However, the vast majority of DPT programs require a Bachelors degree to be recognized as an applicant; there are a few that don't. There is NO specific degree you need, and like medical school, they don't really care if you're a Kinesiology major or a Music Performance major. You will, however, need to complete the specific prerequisites required by the schools, and each school will have different prerequisites for you to take. So you may enroll in any degree plan you want for your undergraduate career. A science major may better prepare you, but it that's not really guaranteed. Just make sure you pick a major you will enjoy (and maybe one that is terminal, just in case for Plan B).

Average GPA for the entering class of 2010 of the school I will attend is a 3.73/4.00, but it is possible to get in with stats much lower, depeding on the school and the other elements of your application materials.

In addition, you need to take the GRE and schools will specify whether they want you to take the old or new version of the GRE. To stay competitive, I'd recommend an 1100 or above at least. 1000 and above, you're cutting it close.

To help your resume? Volunteer, shadow PTs, establish great raport with the PTs that you will have write your Letters of Recommendations for you, as these items are extremely important for your application. Get as much quality experience as you can. Learn as much as you can about the career, why you chose PT, the current issues facing the profession, and where the profession is headed in the future for the interviews.

Decide if PT is right really for you.

Again, I'd advise taking a look at the above link about this. And you can always browse all the threads we have on SDN Physical Therapy. You're bound to find many answers to your questions.

Good Luck.

Hello AJYMERCED,

I highly recommned checking out the APTA's information for prospective students: http://www.apta.org/ProspectiveStudents/ as it holds the answers to MANY questions pertaining the PT education and career.

Anyway, to answer your questions as briefly as possible, it'll take anywhere between 2.5-3.5 years to complete an entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program. This is a clinical doctorate, not a research doctorate, i.e., Ph.D. The length of the program depends solely on the program you choose to attend. More information about this can be drawn from the specific school's PT website. You may find some Masters degree for PT like in CA, but those are being phased out for the DPT degree. Overall, with a Bachelors, total education for a PT would be approximately (if everything goes right and you enter as a traditional student) 6.5-7.5 years.

However, the vast majority of DPT programs require a Bachelors degree to be recognized as an applicant; there are a few that don't. There is NO specific degree you need, and like medical school, they don't really care if you're a Kinesiology major or a Music Performance major. You will, however, need to complete the specific prerequisites required by the schools, and each school will have different prerequisites for you to take. So you may enroll in any degree plan you want for your undergraduate career. A science major may better prepare you, but it that's not really guaranteed. Just make sure you pick a major you will enjoy (and maybe one that is terminal, just in case for Plan B).

Average GPA for the entering class of 2010 of the school I will attend is a 3.73/4.00, but it is possible to get in with stats much lower, depeding on the school and the other elements of your application materials.

In addition, you need to take the GRE and schools will specify whether they want you to take the old or new version of the GRE. To stay competitive, I'd recommend an 1100 or above at least. 1000 and above, you're cutting it close.

To help your resume? Volunteer, shadow PTs, establish great raport with the PTs that you will have write your Letters of Recommendations for you, as these items are extremely important for your application. Get as much quality experience as you can. Learn as much as you can about the career, why you chose PT, the current issues facing the profession, and where the profession is headed in the future for the interviews.

Decide if PT is right really for you.

Again, I'd advise taking a look at the above link about this. And you can always browse all the threads we have on SDN Physical Therapy. You're bound to find many answers to your questions.

Good Luck.

Thank you. You were really helpful. But what is a GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
The GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. It is a national standardized test which assesses quantitative, verbal, and writing skills. You will need to take this test for entry into almost any graduate(master's or doctoral) level program. It's fundamental purpose is to try to create an even playing field to assess a person's abilities/aptitude for a graduate education.

Also, the current GRE will be changed for this fall, thus you may want to research how these changes may/may not effect you. For more information, I would recommend checking out this website:

http://www.ets.org/gre/

Remember that tests like these are attempting to assess an individual's aptitude; however, the test is indirectly testing one's "test-taking abilities." Hidden agendas like time management, tester efficiency, and tester stamina are integral parts of taking any standardized test. Many people have taken prep courses to prepare for tests like these. For more info on this. Check out this website:

http://www.kaptest.com/GRE/Home/index.html

Let us know if you need more info! Best wishes in your educational endeavors!:thumbup:

Take a look at this website to see GRE requirements for schools that participate in PTCAS (Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service): http://www.ptcas.org/GREbyProgram.html. The vast majority of PT schools use the PTCAS for you application. However, not all use the PTCAS. Instead they may have you apply via their own application website or (if public university) the state application service, e.g., applytexas.org.

Take a look at the links on this page for more info: http://www.ptcas.org/ProgramPrereqs.html