Pre-Pod needing an advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepodankle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am interested in studying Podiatry. I graduated college and have ogpa3.4/sgpa3.25. I have a biomedical science degree masters which I graduated with 3.5. Yet to take MCAT.
I recently got really interested in pod because of my grandparent. They have been going to Podiatrist and this field caught my attention, so I really am doing basic research at this point about the field.

My question is how is the status of this profession.
Is it saturated by any means? (seems like secrete gem profession).
How difficult to get into residency? If I don't get in, will I be screwed?
Is there specialties in this field and what are some popular one?
Does it matter which school you go for better future?
Whats the average student loan debt?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Exploring this page will give you a good idea of what the profession is all about and what needs to be done to get into school:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/index.asp
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. Would it be possible to get some advice on theses questions from you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

I am interested in studying Podiatry. I graduated college and have ogpa3.4/sgpa3.25. I have a biomedical science degree masters which I graduated with 3.5. Yet to take MCAT.
I recently got really interested in pod because of my grandparent. They have been going to Podiatrist and this field caught my attention, so I really am doing basic research at this point about the field.

My question is how is the status of this profession.
Is it saturated by any means? (seems like secrete gem profession).
Whats the average student loan debt?

Thank you!

1) Saturation? Not as bad as pharm or opto.
2) Residency- Check board pass rates on school websites or AACPM as noted above.
3) Specialties- For Board certification, believe its a combination of different surgeries involving Forefoot, Hindfoot, Ankle reconstruction. Not really specialties persay but some who get out tend to focus in one area more than the other. Look up residency rotations during clinicals.
4) Average student loan debt (There was a poll on here not too long ago) seemed to be most around 200-250k. Range was from 100-300k.

If there are differing opinions with hard facts, please correct me.

Trying my best to give you the benefit of the doubt. A lot of the questions you've asked seem economically related for a "secure future". Factor that in with you posting this at 4:38 am and some might question your resolve and passion.

Pod school first two years is just as hard as D.O./MD/ even OD. Doesn't get any easier. If you've done a Biomed Master's then you should know this already. Hope this helps and hope your heart is really in it.

To answer your questions regarding schools:
There are a total of 9 schools in the states. I know there have been forums that duke it out on which school is the best. But honestly every school has it's pros and cons. Students choose schools based on what they prioritize to be important i.e boards pass rate, tuition prices, lifestyle, LOCATION, and possibly clinic exposure. I attend the NYCPM and I chose my school because clinic exposure was most important to me. Last year my school matched 96% the first round and a 100% second round. The year before there were 3 students that did not match. To give you perspective, last year all 9 schools had a total of 45 unmatched students this I believe is still lower than DO but same as MD. So all in all it is not difficult to match and will you be screwed if you do not? Of those 45 who did not match if not most, all will try again.

Specialties:
-Wound Care
-Diabetes (a biggie)
-Sport Med
Are just a few. Feel free to pm

Last edited:
(1) The question is - where is it saturated. The general perception is, its saturated anywhere there's a podiatry school and probably anywhere that is desirable. Your mileage may vary and that doesn't mean you could make an opportunity anywhere.
(2) Yes, you are screwed if you don't get a residency. Acquiring a residency isn't that difficult if you consider the fact that most years almost everyone matches, half of the people are "below average", and many of them have a track record of academic inferiority. Forget "can I match" - "can I match somewhere good" is the question. That will take some effort.
(3) We all carry the same 3 letters so don't confuse tailoring your practice with MD fellowships or anything like that. I suppose palliative, elective, rearfoot reconstructive, trauma, diabetic wound or diabetic limb salvage would be the predominant disciplines.
(4) I think schools matters, but there's no shortage of people posting on here that all schools must be great because they give the same degree. I'll give you a weird history - DMU used to list its board pass rates for like 14 years. There was a huge stretch where their numbers were crushing the national passrate - year after year of high 90's against pathetically low overall averages (I think there was a year where the overall number may have been in the 60's for all the schools). Was DMU doing a better job teaching or selecting students or was it doing a better job preparing all students - the people at the bottom and top. The inverse for the other schools - were they selecting weaker applicants or were they failing to teach them? I don't know. There's assuredly blame to go around both for applicants and programs. You're looking at a profession that has a history accepting underperforming matriculants (you can see it in the GPAs and MCATs) and schools that are willing to string people along forever for money. Some of the schools have terrible attrition, low board pass rates, and have strung people along with 6 year degree tracks. Motivated people at any program can succeed, but I think some of the schools have done a better job making sure that everyone succeeds. Board pass rates, shared class with osteopathic students, location, cost, and freedom of 4th year schedule all played a role in my selection process. Not to beat up on the clinic heavy schools, but I'm at a clerkship currently where almost every patient seen is for surgery (incredibly heavy volume of elective, arthritis, rearfoot/ankle revisional, beaming/nailing, dropfoot, trauma, and even joint replacement.. and of course wounds/infections cause even musculoskeletal people can't escape consults). I don't believe for a second that any podiatry school clinic is seeing the lineup that I've seen this past month. If you want to see cool stuff you'll have to visit good programs.
(5) Average debt doesn't really matter. What matters is what you pay. Think about it - some people have working spouses, some people have rich parents, and some people have 4 kids. The average is going to reflect all those things. Pull up the cost of living and tuition for wherever you want to go. This may be harder to do than you think - when I looked at this in the past I thought some of the schools did a crappy job giving you your big yearly number. The tuition isn't going down unless you get a scholarship (and it will increase every year). The rest of the amount is sort of negotiable, but I guarantee you there will be unexpected expenses. Set a budget and establish low fixed expenses.

Podiatry's first 2 years are not as hard as MD/DO. We don't take the USMLE.

Reactions: 2 users
(1) The question is - where is it saturated. The general perception is, its saturated anywhere there's a podiatry school and probably anywhere that is desirable. Your mileage may vary and that doesn't mean you could make an opportunity anywhere.
(2) Yes, you are screwed if you don't get a residency. Acquiring a residency isn't that difficult if you consider the fact that most years almost everyone matches, half of the people are "below average", and many of them have a track record of academic inferiority. Forget "can I match" - "can I match somewhere good" is the question. That will take some effort.
(3) We all carry the same 3 letters so don't confuse tailoring your practice with MD fellowships or anything like that. I suppose palliative, elective, rearfoot reconstructive, trauma, diabetic wound or diabetic limb salvage would be the predominant disciplines.
(4) I think schools matters, but there's no shortage of people posting on here that all schools must be great because they give the same degree. I'll give you a weird history - DMU used to list its board pass rates for like 14 years. There was a huge stretch where their numbers were crushing the national passrate - year after year of high 90's against pathetically low overall averages (I think there was a year where the overall number may have been in the 60's for all the schools). Was DMU doing a better job teaching or selecting students or was it doing a better job preparing all students - the people at the bottom and top. The inverse for the other schools - were they selecting weaker applicants or were they failing to teach them? I don't know. There's assuredly blame to go around both for applicants and programs. You're looking at a profession that has a history accepting underperforming matriculants (you can see it in the GPAs and MCATs) and schools that are willing to string people along forever for money. Some of the schools have terrible attrition, low board pass rates, and have strung people along with 6 year degree tracks. Motivated people at any program can succeed, but I think some of the schools have done a better job making sure that everyone succeeds. Board pass rates, shared class with osteopathic students, location, cost, and freedom of 4th year schedule all played a role in my selection process. Not to beat up on the clinic heavy schools, but I'm at a clerkship currently where almost every patient seen is for surgery (incredibly heavy volume of elective, arthritis, rearfoot/ankle revisional, beaming/nailing, dropfoot, trauma, and even joint replacement.. and of course wounds/infections cause even musculoskeletal people can't escape consults). I don't believe for a second that any podiatry school clinic is seeing the lineup that I've seen this past month. If you want to see cool stuff you'll have to visit good programs.
(5) Average debt doesn't really matter. What matters is what you pay. Think about it - some people have working spouses, some people have rich parents, and some people have 4 kids. The average is going to reflect all those things. Pull up the cost of living and tuition for wherever you want to go. This may be harder to do than you think - when I looked at this in the past I thought some of the schools did a crappy job giving you your big yearly number. The tuition isn't going down unless you get a scholarship (and it will increase every year). The rest of the amount is sort of negotiable, but I guarantee you there will be unexpected expenses. Set a budget and establish low fixed expenses.

Thank you for clarifying that last bit.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

As I do more research on this forum, people are worrying shortage of residency. Could someone elaborate this?

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

As I do more research on this forum, people are worrying shortage of residency. Could someone elaborate this?
The shortage does not appear to be that big of an issue as it was in the past. It appears that you should be able to land a residency spot if you pass your boards and do well in your classes. Unfortunately, there are individuals who may have taken the boards multiple times or may have failed a few courses and are having difficulty securing a residency.

The shortage does not appear to be that big of an issue as it was in the past. It appears that you should be able to land a residency spot if you pass your boards and do well in your classes. Unfortunately, there are individuals who may have taken the boards multiple times or may have failed a few courses and are having difficulty securing a residency.

thank you.

Last edited:
how long people usually prepare for MCAT and what are the resources?

how long people usually prepare for MCAT and what are the resources?
I would take a free mcat online on aamc.org. See where you stand then from there see how long you should commit to studying. There are classes you can take such as Kaplan or Princeton review. I just borrowed a friends Kaplan books and used Exam crackers pdfs. Again, your initial MCAT score is a indicator for your study schedule and resources.

This statement is only true if you don't go to a school where the first two years are fully integrated with general medical students. For MDs and DOs, the first two years are not as dependent on grades in class because their boards are ultimately what's important (which is why many have transitioned to P/F for classes). Podiatry students actually have to be more cognizant of keeping their grades high than their peers in that situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This statement is only true if you don't go to a school where the first two years are fully integrated with general medical students. For MDs and DOs, the first two years are not as dependent on grades in class because their boards are ultimately what's important (which is why many have transitioned to P/F for classes). Podiatry students actually have to be more cognizant of keeping their grades high than their peers in that situation.
Thank you. Are all residencies learn same thing? meaning is there residency that only specialize surgery only?

Thank you. Are all residencies learn same thing? meaning is there residency that only specialize surgery only?

All residencies in order to be qualified have a standard of amount of cases that need to be provided to the residents: biomechanics, fore foot surgery, rear foot surgery, etc. The main difference is that some residency meet the requirement and others will exceed the requirement. Some residents finish their requirements in 1-2 years, others residents will take all 3 years depending on the residency. So as you can imagine with more repetition and exposure to different/more cases you will be a better podiatrist.

If you want to be technical I wouldn't say "specialize in surgery" because all podiatry residencies are supposed to train you to be proficient in surgery, but certain residencies have higher volumes of surgical patients and certain residencies have attending that are famous for doing certain procedures aka swedish is famous for TARs. So depending on where you go you will get better exposure to surgery and certain surgical procedures compared to other residencies.

All residencies in order to be qualified have a standard of amount of cases that need to be provided to the residents: biomechanics, fore foot surgery, rear foot surgery, etc. The main difference is that some residency meet the requirement and others will exceed the requirement. Some residents finish their requirements in 1-2 years, others residents will take all 3 years depending on the residency. So as you can imagine with more repetition and exposure to different/more cases you will be a better podiatrist.

If you want to be technical I wouldn't say "specialize in surgery" because all podiatry residencies are supposed to train you to be proficient in surgery, but certain residencies have higher volumes of surgical patients and certain residencies have attending that are famous for doing certain procedures aka swedish is famous for TARs. So depending on where you go you will get better exposure to surgery and certain surgical procedures compared to other residencies.
Thank you. How do we determine quality of residency program?

Thank you. How do we determine quality of residency program?

classmates, upperclassmen your podiatry friends, faculty from your school, mentors etc. Once you start school you will start hearing about programs.

I plan to study MCAT at home alone. What are some reasonable priced books that are good?

I plan to study MCAT at home alone. What are some reasonable priced books that are good?
I liked examkrackers and their practice materials along with the audio osmosis (which was incredibly cheesy but helpful to listen to while at work, driving, working out, whatever). Now this was for the old mcat though but I'm pretty sure they have a good package and program for the new mcat, not sure of the cost. Personally I liked the format of the books, they were to me more interesting/easier reads than other books I looked at. The most important part is to practice, taking full length tests as much as you can! Your study materials will come with one or two and the aamc will have a bunch you can use (of course at a cost) to understand the type of questions in the test and allow to essentially practice how to take the test. Good luck!

I liked examkrackers and their practice materials along with the audio osmosis (which was incredibly cheesy but helpful to listen to while at work, driving, working out, whatever). Now this was for the old mcat though but I'm pretty sure they have a good package and program for the new mcat, not sure of the cost. Personally I liked the format of the books, they were to me more interesting/easier reads than other books I looked at. The most important part is to practice, taking full length tests as much as you can! Your study materials will come with one or two and the aamc will have a bunch you can use (of course at a cost) to understand the type of questions in the test and allow to essentially practice how to take the test. Good luck!
thanks. how about kaplan 7 subjects?

I used Kaplan and it was a good review, gives you all the material you need, plus it comes with 3 practice tests which is nice

How long did you study for and how long ppl usually study?

What do you guys think about the future of podiatry? Do you guys think it is going in right direction?
Also, only about 600 ppl are graduating each year, why are they talking about saturation. Some ppl say its the best kept secrete in medicine...

Reactions: 1 users
What do you guys think about the future of podiatry? Do you guys think it is going in right direction?
Also, only about 600 ppl are graduating each year, why are they talking about saturation. Some ppl say its the best kept secrete in medicine...

Depends. Are you doing it as an easy alternative/last minute panic to MD/DO.....or are you legitimately interested?

Depends. Are you doing it as an easy alternative/last minute panic to MD/DO.....or are you legitimately interested?

i am in all honesty very interested. i am fascinated with the job podiatrists do. never really thought about md,do. however, since tuition is very high i would like to have rewarding job and saturation is a big issue for me. some say its the best kept secrete and others say there is saturation and salary is in decline. i dont want to have debt first and realize there is saturation. i really naivley want to know how things are going. so whats your take on to being podiatrist, salary, saturation and residency, and future outlook? i probably asked same question but i want to get diverse advice and opinions and i reallt appreciate it.

At least podiatry schools are capping the student body. In fields like pharmacy where there is actual oversaturation there are new schools constantly opening, flooding the market with an excess of graduates that nobody asked for. Besides, all these baby boomers are at the age where they'll probably contribute more to the patient pool and less to the working pool (retiring podiatrists). I mean, is it just me or does every job field seem to be dominated by old people who are coming up on retirement age. At least that's how it is in orthotics and prosthetics (what I do now) and also how it is in the pathology labs (what one of my cousins does).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

i am in all honesty very interested. i am fascinated with the job podiatrists do. never really thought about md,do. however, since tuition is very high i would like to have rewarding job and saturation is a big issue for me. some say its the best kept secrete and others say there is saturation and salary is in decline. i dont want to have debt first and realize there is saturation. i really naivley want to know how things are going. so whats your take on to being podiatrist, salary, saturation and residency, and future outlook? i probably asked same question but i want to get diverse advice and opinions and i reallt appreciate it.

Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.

It is no where near as saturated as pharm as Bob mentioned above or optometry (which itself is imploding due to the high amount of graduates but sparse job offerings, only way you're going to make money is through commodities, mainly contact lens sales, unless you want to move to the middle of no where).

Bob has written about the costs of Pod versus MD and DO schools with actual numbers. Overall MD/DO will cost more than pod. They may cost the same if you were to get into an in-state MD school versus out of state pod but even then the costs were marginally more for MD/DO compared to pod. There was another poll on SDN asking about the debt pods were in after graduating. If I remember correctly the majority was 150-200k (at 20% of poll takers) and 250-300k (also another 20-22% of poll takers). The other poll takers were scattered, most had less than 200k and some hit their max at 350K+ at less than 7-10% for each category.

Its also been stated in here: if you don't snag a residency (meaning you did poorly on boards and pod school), your practice as a podiatrist will be extremely limited.

Lets say you get out of pod school, snag that residency, and finally start working towards paying off that debt. The general consensus I've gotten from this forum comes down to this: If you want more money, then you work more. By the time you graduate, you are in charge of your own schedule. Whether you choose to work like a pack mule non stop or ease into it at a sustainable pace is up to you.

Thank you. I am 99% certain Im going to apply.
What are some important factors for applications? My GPA is in average range. Im sure MCAT is above 500.
How important is volunteer and shadowing?
Also, I know acceptance rate is high, but anyone could share why 40% of applicants did not get in? what were they missing?

I think the only time people are just straight up rejected is when their GPA is too low or they score too low on the MCAT total score or they score too low on a particular section of the MCAT that a school deems important. If those situations do not apply to you then you will probably get interviews and probably be accepted somewhere, if not at multiple schools, as long as your interviews go relatively smoothly. I think volunteering and shadowing pale in comparison to GPA and MCAT.

You should also apply earlier in the cycle when every school still has plenty of seats.

Thank you. I am 99% certain Im going to apply.
What are some important factors for applications? My GPA is in average range. Im sure MCAT is above 500.
How important is volunteer and shadowing?
Also, I know acceptance rate is high, but anyone could share why 40% of applicants did not get in? what were they missing?

GPA 3.3+ with 500+ MCAT is perfectly fine.

Schools screen using GPA and MCAT as main factors. Its more efficient for them and says a lot about future academic success in their program.

Shadowing I've heard anywhere from 30 hours to some people who do multiple years. Shadowing mostly helps YOU more than the school. That way you can come in and prove to them what you know about the profession (pros and cons).

Most schools require rec letter from a DPM. If you can find someone to shadow and do it consistently enough with a positive working relationship with them, ask them for a rec letter.

Lets say you've got shadowing hours, a DPM rec letter, your GPA and a 500+ MCAT and manage to snag multiple interviews. At this point, the interview is really just to see if you're not some crazy person who can't work or communicate with people well enough. When that time comes, post on here again and a lot of people can help you through the interview process, such as Bob.

GPA 3.3+ with 500+ MCAT is perfectly fine.

Schools screen using GPA and MCAT as main factors. Its more efficient for them and says a lot about future academic success in their program.

Shadowing I've heard anywhere from 30 hours to some people who do multiple years. Shadowing mostly helps YOU more than the school. That way you can come in and prove to them what you know about the profession (pros and cons).

Most schools require rec letter from a DPM. If you can find someone to shadow and do it consistently enough with a positive working relationship with them, ask them for a rec letter.

Lets say you've got shadowing hours, a DPM rec letter, your GPA and a 500+ MCAT and manage to snag multiple interviews. At this point, the interview is really just to see if you're not some crazy person who can't work or communicate with people well enough. When that time comes, post on here again and a lot of people can help you through the interview process, such as Bob.

Thank you so much. I think I do have a good relationship with my DPM and he would probably give my good LOR. How important is science professors LOR? I was undecided with my career and never really got LOR and I have been out school for long time. Would it be possible to take summer course/fall (that I didn't do well) and get LOR from them?

Also, is there sample application I can take a look at?

Thank you so much. I think I do have a good relationship with my DPM and he would probably give my good LOR. How important is science professors LOR? I was undecided with my career and never really got LOR and I have been out school for long time. Would it be possible to take summer course/fall (that I didn't do well) and get LOR from them?

Also, is there sample application I can take a look at?

Not sure about sample application. If you go to the thread named "Class of 2020 acceptance stats" there should be lots of info on there where Bob calculated all averages of sGPA, cGPA, MCAT scores and other numbers as well.

If you scored any C's in science prereqs and you feel that it pushed your sGPA below a 3.0, retake them. If you do well in them, go ahead and ask a professor who's teaching you for an LOR. However, make sure you spend enough time with them so they can get a good feel for who you are to better represent you in their LOR. Send them a resume. Go to their office hours and talk to them about career advice and how you should approach things or just a class assignment or hell even their favorite baseball team. Important thing is to make sure they see your face and know who you are. Saves you and the professor time and awkwardness.

For LOR from science professor, its good to have at least 1. If you've been out of school for along time, email a professor you're pretty close with and explain them your situation. If they're nice enough and agree, make sure you spend an adequate amount of time telling them what you've been up to since then and how your work ethic is progressing. If you don't have any professors who reply and you feel its too late to ask, try volunteering in a lab and develop a relationship with the professor that runs the lab. You can get an LOR this way as well. Science professors serve 2 purposes in an LOR: Academic progress or Extracurricular (labs, research, work, etc.)

Not sure about sample application. If you go to the thread named "Class of 2020 acceptance stats" there should be lots of info on there where Bob calculated all averages of sGPA, cGPA, MCAT scores and other numbers as well.

If you scored any C's in science prereqs and you feel that it pushed your sGPA below a 3.0, retake them. If you do well in them, go ahead and ask a professor who's teaching you for an LOR. However, make sure you spend enough time with them so they can get a good feel for who you are to better represent you in their LOR. Send them a resume. Go to their office hours and talk to them about career advice and how you should approach things or just a class assignment or hell even their favorite baseball team. Important thing is to make sure they see your face and know who you are. Saves you and the professor time and awkwardness.

For LOR from science professor, its good to have at least 1. If you've been out of school for along time, email a professor you're pretty close with and explain them your situation. If they're nice enough and agree, make sure you spend an adequate amount of time telling them what you've been up to since then and how your work ethic is progressing. If you don't have any professors who reply and you feel its too late to ask, try volunteering in a lab and develop a relationship with the professor that runs the lab. You can get an LOR this way as well. Science professors serve 2 purposes in an LOR: Academic progress or Extracurricular (labs, research, work, etc.)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your help.
You mentioned one from science professor. So it is not required? I see on website some do require two...
Is there things that podiatry school don't like to see or hear from student? (for example student who want to do only surgery?)
May I ask what vision 2015 is? Ive researched but couldn't grasp the idea...

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your help.
You mentioned one from science professor. So it is not required? I see on website some do require two...
Is there things that podiatry school don't like to see or hear from student? (for example student who want to do only surgery?)
May I ask what vision 2015 is? Ive researched but couldn't grasp the idea...

I meant 1 from pod and 1 from science professor. But go with what the website says. If its 2 from science professor and 1 from DPM, then do that.

There is nothing wrong with entering podiatry if you have a passion for surgery. But you need to be careful and make sure they understand that you're not doing this to easily get into surgery vs MD/DO.

Passion for surgery= good. Doing it the pod way to get in faster/less debt than MD/DO = bad. On a technicality, there's nothing wrong. But morally, its wrong. Be genuine. Some people fake it just to get in. I don't think you're one of those people. If you're genuine with them and explain that yes you love (not like, like doesn't cut it. You have to love surgery to do well) surgery but you're not taking shortcuts to get there and you like what podiatry represents and what it stands for, you should have no problem.

I do not have a lot of information on vision 2015. Perhaps try making a separate thread on pre-pod and even pod students forum to get more info? I'll try to look it up and get back to you.

wow t
I meant 1 from pod and 1 from science professor. But go with what the website says. If its 2 from science professor and 1 from DPM, then do that.

There is nothing wrong with entering podiatry if you have a passion for surgery. But you need to be careful and make sure they understand that you're not doing this to easily get into surgery vs MD/DO.

Passion for surgery= good. Doing it the pod way to get in faster/less debt than MD/DO = bad. On a technicality, there's nothing wrong. But morally, its wrong. Be genuine. Some people fake it just to get in. I don't think you're one of those people. If you're genuine with them and explain that yes you love (not like, like doesn't cut it. You have to love surgery to do well) surgery but you're not taking shortcuts to get there and you like what podiatry represents and what it stands for, you should have no problem.

I do not have a lot of information on vision 2015. Perhaps try making a separate thread on pre-pod and even pod students forum to get more info? I'll try to look it up and get back to you.

thank you! are you in school?

I was gonna say some stuff about Vision 2015 but it's a broad topic so I was hoping someone else would do it instead, hehehe.

Vision 2015 @prepodankle

http://www.apma.org/WorkingForYou/content.cfm?ItemNumber=4471

I can only provide general information here. If you want the inside scoop on the status of Vision 2015 you'll have to get it from a current APMA member, which would pretty much have to be a practicing podiatrist.

What exactly is it?
Vision 2015 is a mission set upon by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) about 10 years ago. The goals can largely be placed under the umbrella of parity with MDs and DOs and include (1) that podiatrists are physicians, (2) that podiatrists should be allowed to practice to the full extent of their education and training, (3) that podiatrists should receive equal pay for equal work, etc. To achieve these goals many state laws would have to change, since the practice of medicine/podiatry is regulated by the states. State legislatures move slowly and laws are difficult to change which is probably the main reason Vision 2015 has not been accomplished yet. The APMA, Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME), American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM), and just about everybody else with a stake in the game had to come together to try to standardize the podiatric medical education, standardize residencies, standardize continuing education, et cetera since how can we expect a standardized national scope of practice if there is not standardized national education/training? That has been the primary argument of the orthopedic associations and medical associations that fight to limit the podiatric scope of practice—that podiatric education/training is sub par and highly variable—and so that is the argument that the APMA has been trying to undermine.

As a side note, Physical Therapy has/had a Vision 2020 which existed mostly to give patients direct access to physical therapists (e.g., ouch I twisted my ankle, I'm going straight to the physical therapist, no referral needed) in large part by making the physical therapy degree a Doctor of Physical Therapy instead of the Master Degree that it was previously. They've kinda given up on Vision 2020, although I think they're still working towards the underlying goals.

How does it benefit podiatrists?

Since the start of the project efforts have been made to improve and standardize the curriculums of the podiatric colleges, improve the quality of outside rotations (general surgery, vascular surgery, internal medicine, etc.), and improve the quality of residencies. This should all be of benefit to future podiatrists.

Currently there are only a few states that do not have ankle in their scope of practice, thanks in part to Vision 2015.

Currently almost half of all states legally recognize podiatrists as physicians, thanks in part to Vision 2015.

However, I've read that some of the older podiatrists are getting left behind because some of the deals that pods are making with states and hospitals is to allow the pods to have ankle privileges only if they meet certain certification or training requirements that the older pods cannot meet. In some cases this will reduce their scope or hurt their business.

Did it end since it's Vision 2015 and it's now 2016?

It was an ambitious mission for a 10 year period and was not accomplished in that time, but that doesn't mean anyone's giving up. There is still pay disparity in some states, still over half of all states do not recognize podiatrists as physicians, and still there are a few states which will not allow podiatrists to treat the ankle or leg. The groundwork has been laid though and I think what's left to do will simply require time more than anything. Time for newly trained podiatrists to outnumber older podiatrists and time for the medical community, the public, and the legislatures to learn and respect what a modern podiatrist is.

If it benefits then how likely would it be to happen in the near future?

If you go podiatry, you will already reap some of the benefits simply through the level of education and training you will receive. Besides that, Vision 2015 will push on and by the time you would get out of residency in another 7 or 8 years we will undoubtedly be closer to the end goals.

Reactions: 3 users
Does AACPMAS round GPA? for example 3.3969 would become 3.4?
Also, do they merge underg and grad gap together?

Last edited:
I believe they round to two decimal places. Also, they will calculate about 20 GPAs. Cumulative Undergraduate, Junior English, Overall Science, Cumulative Graduate, Freshman Chemistry, Senior Biology, Undergraduate BCP (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Undergraduate Mathematics, et cetera. The two most important will probably be the Overall Cumulative and Overall Science, although they will look at everything.

For instance all English/literature courses you took your junior year. That's the kind of random GPAs they calculate. By subject matter, by year, by graduate vs undergraduate, overall, etc.

Just a random question. I know some podiatrist work 9-3, even 11-4. Is there reason why they work so short?

Also, some private practitioners do surgery. Lot of them don't have surgical equipment in their office, I believe they do surgery in hospital, how is this possible? They are borrowing a surgical room?

Most of them probably don't work much earlier than 8:00 or much later than 5:00 because they don't have to. Most pods won't be in a situation where they're on call at a hospital so that cuts out a lot of the weird hours right away. As far as how many hours they actually work in a day, I don't know why some work so little, because they want to I guess, but the overall average is still a little over 40 hours per week so I assume that for every one out there with super lax hours there's another one out there busting their butt. Also, depending on the condition of any of the pod's post op patients admitted to the hospital, the pod may have to pay a visit to the hospital after hours or on a weekend.

As far as the surgical suite thing, I think there are still some pods that do minor procedures in their office and have that kind of equipment on hand but I don't know to what extent they have to sterilize the room before and after the procedure, plus the liability if the patient does get an infection from your office. I don't know the intricacies of booking an OR at a hospital or an outpatient clinic or whatever, but it seems to be a pretty standard thing. The room is clean, everything is sterilized, and there is even staff on hand to assist you. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Anybody feel free to correct me on anything or weigh in.

@bobtheweazel has it pretty much right. There are some docs who have surgical rooms in their offices. Most do minor procedures such as soft tissue lesions or hammertoes, but I know some that do bunions in them. Some do have official surgery suites with positive air pressure and scrub sinks and the like, but it takes a lot of work to get them officially recognized as surgery suites. For me, it's easier to do cases at a hospital or surgery center. They have the staff, all the equipment I need, and probably less liability for me since they are being cleared by the anesthesiologist or the PCP beforehand.

As far as hours, the ones that work 9-3 or 11-4 probably do it because they want to and they can. I work 7:30-5:30 plus take call, but that's also because I can and need to at this point. I also like my work (for the most part).

@bobtheweazel has it pretty much right. There are some docs who have surgical rooms in their offices. Most do minor procedures such as soft tissue lesions or hammertoes, but I know some that do bunions in them. Some do have official surgery suites with positive air pressure and scrub sinks and the like, but it takes a lot of work to get them officially recognized as surgery suites. For me, it's easier to do cases at a hospital or surgery center. They have the staff, all the equipment I need, and probably less liability for me since they are being cleared by the anesthesiologist or the PCP beforehand.

As far as hours, the ones that work 9-3 or 11-4 probably do it because they want to and they can. I work 7:30-5:30 plus take call, but that's also because I can and need to at this point. I also like my work (for the most part).

That's pretty cool.

When you choose to do surgery at a center or hospital, are you directly employed under that facility? Or does it work a different way?