Pre-Pre-Pre med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kt.charlong

Future Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, my name is Katie, I am 15 years old and currently in grade 11. My future plans consist of pediatric cardiology, but I know that first I have to worry about, and do well in university. I still like to be well prepared no matter what is said though! If anyone has any pointers as to how I can better achive acceptance into University and someday med school, I would love you forever! Thanks alot, and I envy more than half of you here!!!

-Katie

Members don't see this ad.

kt.charlong said:
Hello there, my name is Katie, I am 15 years old and currently in grade 11. My future plans consist of pediatric cardiology, but I know that first I have to worry about, and do well in university. I still like to be well prepared no matter what is said though! If anyone has any pointers as to how I can better achive acceptance into University and someday med school, I would love you forever! Thanks alot, and I envy more than half of you here!!!

-Katie

I would say that you need to relax and enjoy the fact that you are only 15 yrs old. Don't stress yourself out too much right now - you are going to deal with plenty of that later on.

VPDcurt said:
I would say that you need to relax and enjoy the fact that you are only 15 yrs old. Don't stress yourself out too much right now - you are going to deal with plenty of that later on.

agreed. However you might want to look into volunteering at a hospital, perhaps the pediatric cardiology dept if that's what you think you want to do. Get to know some doctors there and they will prove to be an asset when it gets closer to application time. Get good grades, get involved in activities you enjoy and enjoy school without stressing too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done any hospital volunteering (particularly in pedicatrics or cardiology)? If not, you might as well go out and do some. Early exposure to the medical field is always good. There are also tons of opportunites to go abroad... those types of volunteer activities are always fun and show you care about the rest of the world :)

But to reiterate what VPDcurt said, you're still pretty young :) So don't stress out too much. You will have plenty of time to stress about college and medical school soon enough.

start gunning immediately.

meet top pediatric cardiologists. BEFRIEND THEM! see that other person who wants to shadow the chief of pedi.cardi? KILL HIM! an hour that you arent spending in the library brings you that much closer to meharry medical school. HORRORS!!!

sniping and laying down land mines,
ZX

Get to work! You should be ashamed of yourself--wasting time here instead of studing for the SAT I. you'd better have a 4.5GPA and 1600 SAT I score if you want to get into Harvard. If you don't get into harvard, your parents will kill you, and you will NEVER get into Medical school coming from a third tier institution. When your in college, have no life, and study all the time, get 4.0s and 40 MCATs. Also, you'd better cure a disease or something-that's real research- publish in Nature or if you are unlucky Science. If you want to do the same "research" that all your peers are doing--washing test tubes and kissing PI Arse, then go ahead, ad comms see right through that.

kt.charlong said:

-Katie

BigRedPingpong said:
Get to work! You should be ashamed of yourself--wasting time here instead of studing for the SAT I. you'd better have a 4.5GPA and 1600 SAT I score if you want to get into Harvard. If you don't get into harvard, your parents will kill you, and you will NEVER get into Medical school coming from a third tier institution. When your in college, have no life, and study all the time, get 4.0s and 40 MCATs. Also, you'd better cure a disease or something-that's real research- publish in Nature or if you are unlucky Science. If you want to do the same "research" that all your peers are doing--washing test tubes and kissing PI Arse, then go ahead, ad comms see right through that.

lol

kt.charlong said:

-Katie
Relax. Odds are at least 10:1 that someone's ideal specialty in high school will not be the residency they want/get.

SitraAchra said:
why thanks ?? :D

She didn't say that you are one of the elite 50% that she loves! ;)

TheProwler said:
Relax. Odds are at least 10:1 that someone's ideal specialty in high school will not be the residency they want/get.

odds are..she's 15. i was still watching nickelodeon back then, albeit secretly because i think the cool kids were watching mtv

i think talking about residency and specialty about anyone in highschool is absurd

Members don't see this ad :)
SitraAchra said:
odds are..she's 15. i was still watching nickelodeon back then, albeit secretly because i think the cool kids were watching mtv

i think talking about residency and specialty about anyone in highschool is absurd
odds are that it's a troll. Usually only a seasoned poster is going to nail an avatar before they start posting.

ya - and 15 years old in 11th grade doesn't add up, unless she's skipped a grade or two.

I don't get what the big fuss is all about. I started to seriously think about medicine at 16. 3 years later, I'm in. It's good to plan early, even though you will probably change your mind later on. I still haven't changed mine yet about a specialty, and god-willing, I won't...

TheProwler said:
odds are that it's a troll. Usually only a seasoned poster is going to nail an avatar before they start posting.

i don't know, kids are quite computer savvy these days.

to the OP: study hard but don't be closed minded. don't be afraid to make mistakes but try to avoid them if you can (get good grades and take you acadmics seriously!)
from reading this forum, it seems as though it doesn't really matter where you go to college in the end. as long as you MCAT, grades, ECs and letters are all good.

I've been thinking about a possible specialty since I started middle school. It's kind of inevitable when everyone around you keeps asking, "What field of medicine do you want to go into?"

kt.charlong: Just take it one bite at a time. A good high school GPA + good SAT score = better chance of getting accepted to your first choice college. A good college GPA + a good MCAT score = better chance of getting accepted to your first choice med school. I'm taking it one semester at a time in a post-bac program, and the A's (and B's) add up. Looking ahead to your long-term future is a good thing, just don't forget to pace yourself and enjoy being a teenager. You can re-take a calc test, but not your Sweet 16. :cool:

I think she actually might be 15 because, like so many teeny-boppers, she doesn't know when someone covers a song. Tears for Fears wrote "Mad World"; Gary Jules covered it. :cool: Sorry, that's just my little shout for today. :D

I love how people manage to be so interested in the most competitive specialties so early on.

I asked this Columbia P&S student why he chose Columbia. He told me that he ahd wanted to be a neurosurgeon since he was in junior high, and that Columbia had one of teh best match rates for Neurosurgery. I thought to myself that thsi kid is a psycho and quietly walked away.

Don?t worry too much about med school and residency now. You should be more concerned about passing your drivers license test.

Seems like everyone here wants to give you crap just because you are showing interest in your future. Forget them.
First thing you need to do is do well in high school. Grades, ECs, SAT, etc... do as well as you can in all those category. Although you don't need to go to a "top tier" undergrad to get into medical school, it certainly helps to graduate from a well-known institution.
When in college, do things that will expose you to medicine, such as volunteering at a hospital. Make sure you know what doctors do, as well as the system that they are operating in (e.g. learn about HMOs, medical malpractice, residencies, etc.)
Do your best in school to get good grades. The #1 important thing to a medical school application is one's GPA, followed closely by the MCAT (an admissions test that all aspiring doctors have to take). Take a look at some of the extra curriculars that people say are important - research (biomedical, if possible), volunteering, pre-med organizations, etc. But most important is to remember that there is no particular mold that one has to fall into when applying to medical school, so you should do the things in college that you want to do. Don't like your pre-med organization? Don't join it; it probably sucks anyway. Do things that may not relate to medicine if they interest you, such as sports, mock trial, student govt., etc.
When picking a major, choose something that interested you in high school, or go in undeclared. You dont need to major in biology or bioengineering to get into medical school. In fact, non-bio majors generally get accepted into med school at higher rates, so take a look at something that doesnt follow the usual pre-med choice (like Political Science :) ;)) However, if you find biology particularly interesting, then by all means, major in biology.

Good luck with your ambitions. You don't need to stress about anything at this point, but don't let people tell you that it is too early to think about your future. :luck:

God knows what I was doing at age 15, but it sure as hell wasn't thinking about med school. There's really no need to even start considering that kinda stuff in high school, just keep your focus on where you want to go to college right now -- the stressing about medical school comes later.

PostalWookie said:
I love how people manage to be so interested in the most competitive specialties so early on.

I asked this Columbia P&S student why he chose Columbia. He told me that he ahd wanted to be a neurosurgeon since he was in junior high, and that Columbia had one of teh best match rates for Neurosurgery. I thought to myself that thsi kid is a psycho and quietly walked away.

http://www.amsa.org/surg/neuro_int.cfm

**Why pick neurosurgery? and when did you start to think about this choice? (during your basic science years/ clinical years/ extracurricular activities)
Ability to combine thinking about the nervous system with treating some of its diseases. Started thinking about such a career in high school and college.***

Now go tell this guy he chose medicine for the wrong reasons, because he didn't show interest in his specialty before (insert ideal age here)

Blake said:
I don't get what the big fuss is all about. I started to seriously think about medicine at 16. 3 years later, I'm in. It's good to plan early, even though you will probably change your mind later on. I still haven't changed mine yet about a specialty, and god-willing, I won't...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it different for you in Quebec? Most of us won't hit med school until age 22+.

I too decided I wanted to go to med school when I was ~14-15 years old, but announcing that I want to be a pediatric cardiologist was not something I recall doing. I'm also just wary of trolls on this forum. If the OP was serious, then (1. get good grades and a good understanding of the fundamentals of chemistry, biology, algebra/calculus, English/literature, and possibly physics; (2. be active in the church/school/community; (3. try volunteering in a hospital in some manner just to see if it's at all appealing firsthand; (4. don't start reading SDN this young, for the love of all that is sane!

SanDiegoSOD said:
When picking a major, choose something that interested you in high school, or go in undeclared. You dont need to major in biology or bioengineering to get into medical school. In fact, non-bio majors generally get accepted into med school at higher rates, so take a look at something that doesnt follow the usual pre-med choice (like Political Science)
source for that statement? I've usually seen non-science major acceptance rates at nearly the same (if anything, slightly below) as science majors. I'd be interested to see otherwise.

TheProwler said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it different for you in Quebec? Most of us won't hit med school until age 22+.
Sure, it's different. But are we genetically programmed to think about med school in high school ? No. Why is it such a big deal that an high school student seriously thinks about medicine ? Do we all need to work 20 years in some law firm, then one day, receive some divine calling to become a doc ? Don't get me wrong, I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who choose medicine even if it means leaving their jobs, and sacrificing a lot to fulfill their dreams, but does that automatically make others less '' made '' for med school ?
I don't know if it's because me and all my classmates were in her shoes a few years ago, but I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for such reasons. We're pretty young here, yet we do not become awful docs who chose medicine for the wrong reasons, otherwise rules would have been changed a while ago, so people need to understand this.

TheProwler said:
source for that statement? I've usually seen non-science major acceptance rates at nearly the same (if anything, slightly below) as science majors. I'd be interested to see otherwise.

It's been a while since I've seen the source, so it may take me a day or two to find it. And note that I did not say there is a major disparity between acceptance rates of bio and non-bio majors, just that bio majors are accepted at the lowest rate. I'll see if I can find it.

This is old data, but the numbers haven't changed significantly since 1999 (acceptance rates have changed, but not the rates of acceptance relative to each other).

http://www.knox.edu/statistics.xml

Bio majors: 40%
Physical Science majors: 46%
Non-Science majors: 45.5%
Double majors: 46%

This was not my original source, just simply the first thing that popped up after googling "acceptance rates medical school by major"

SitraAchra said:
ya - and 15 years old in 11th grade doesn't add up, unless she's skipped a grade or two.

I was 15 for most of 11th grade and I didn't skip any grades.

its not all that early really. if you're in 11th grade, then you're probably thinking about colleges to apply to soon and things like that. if you know you want to be a doctor, then maybe look into the various BA/MD programs. and actually to really be competitive for those you should be on top of the requirements and things that help you get in those programs during your junior year of highschool or even before.

DrGuy2002 screamed troll, but isn't he in one of these BA/MD programs? 16-17 year olds in highschool are the ones applying and getting into these programs and there are tons of them like HPME at Northwestern, or PLME at Brown, the programs at Case, Rice/Baylor, USC, etc, and many of the state schools have similar programs too. people at a very young age get committed to medicine, it happens. some of good friends from hs at 16 already knew they were already in med school. i went to northwestern, and many of my good friends entered freshman year at 17 already having been accepted to a top-tier med school, now they're like 21-22 and in their 2nd or 3rd year of med school, its not uncommon. all these people were once 15 or 16 and juniors in highschool too, being normal kids, playing sports, or having fun but with good grades and good test scores and also researching programs, volunteering at hospitals, doing somekind of science research or something like that.

so check out those programs if you're interested.

as far as knowing what specialty. come on, we all had some thing we were really interested. why can't someone be interested in something even if its a difficult specialty? everyone dreams about being a neurosurgeon or something like that. its not a big deal, if you're really interested you can do things to try to make it happen. you might change your mind, who knows, it happens.

SanDiegoSOD said:
This is old data, but the numbers haven't changed significantly since 1999 (acceptance rates have changed, but not the rates of acceptance relative to each other).

http://www.knox.edu/statistics.xml

Bio majors: 40%
Physical Science majors: 46%
Non-Science majors: 45.5%
Double majors: 46%

This was not my original source, just simply the first thing that popped up after googling "acceptance rates medical school by major"

YIKES. That's not even logical--seems to me like a bio major should be pretty good at preparing one for med school (I sure HOPE so, as that is my major).

v-tach said:
YIKES. That's not even logical--seems to me like a bio major should be pretty good at preparing one for med school (I sure HOPE so, as that is my major).

Not really.

A lot of people who know how the process works are not bio majors.

A lot of the substandard people are bio/psych majors. Why?

Two reasons:
1.) That's what premed office tells them to major in.
2.) They're easier majors(generally). Yes, yes. I know that the curriculum can be difficult. But, comparatively, there tends to be a lot of smart people and a lot of dumb people in bio with little middle ground.

Fermata said:
Not really.

Two reasons:
2.) They're easier majors(generally). Yes, yes. I know that the curriculum can be difficult. But, comparatively, there tends to be a lot of smart people and a lot of dumb people in bio with little middle ground.

I can see how it somewhat depends on what courses one chooses to take in their major...there are some bio classes that are pretty easy and others that are a lot more difficult (but more interesting IMO). Also, some of us take more chem/orgo/biochem than is actually required for a bio major, and these tend to be considered (with the exception of general chem) more difficult courses as well. Can't speak for psych. However, I think that a biology/biochem major, if courses are properly chosen (i.e. not just going for the easy ones but instead the ones that will actually be helpful in medicine) can be a very good idea if that is what you are interested in--and let's face it, many people interested in going into medicine ARE interested in biology because they just generally like learning how living organisms work. It's just too bad that because this is the case, people end up thinking we are "not original/unique enough" and we end up at a DISADVANTAGE despite being in a major that has a large degree of relevance to medicine, provided the right courses are chosen. Anyone else see something wrong with this picture? Anyway, enough of my rant. Have a good night.

--v-tach

BigRedPingpong said:

I believe you mean a perfect 2400......sounds so weird

Fermata said:

Two reasons:
1. Troof.
2. What? Psych is easier, usually, but biology is easier than what? Chemistry and physics maybe, but certainly not most other majors.

TheProwler said:
1. Troof.
2. What? Psych is easier, usually, but biology is easier than what? Chemistry and physics maybe, but certainly not most other majors.

What I mean is that it tends to be one of the easier "sciency" majors.

Sorry for not clarifying.

SitraAchra said:

At age 15 you should be in 9th or 10th grade. Did she skip a grade? That could explain the early interest if she's already an overacheiver (no offense meant).

Fermata said:
Not really.

Two reasons:

Precisely. A lot of people don't really make a decision to be bio majors - it just kind of happens as they matriculate and decide to be pre-med. Biology can be a great major to prepare someone for medical school. It can also be the default, cookie cutter way to be pre-med without any creativity.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Precisely. A lot of people don't really make a decision to be bio majors - it just kind of happens as they matriculate and decide to be pre-med. Biology can be a great major to prepare someone for medical school. It can also be the default, cookie cutter way to be pre-med without any creativity.

That pretty much nails it. What stinks is that people tend to assume that all bio majors are the "cookie cutter" pre-meds, and those of us who don't fit that profile end up getting shafted.

Wow....there are more than 40 posts here! Thanks so much for this feedback!!!! Im not a science/school freak, I didnt skip a grade, I went into school at 4 instead of 5, I will be 16 in January. Im supposed to be in gr.10 though. Lol, I have been seriously thinking about helping out in a pediatric ward but I have alot to do at this point in time. My biggest worry is getting into med school. I have seriously put all of my eggs into one basket with this doctor thing, I mean it, to even think of a second career choice makes my stomach sink (thats bad). I think I might be the most doctor-driven teen I know! But yea, cardiology exites me so much, I remember that module like the back of my hand when I took it last semester of gr.10. I am psyced for 20-level Med studies, I cant wait to see what we learn. Ok thats all for now, I have a bunch of homework and I worked all weekend, its quarter to 8 on sunday and this is the only time I have to finish it.. :scared: .>_<;; Toodles!!!

take a lot of AP classes, It'll put you ahead of everyone! Good for you by the way- ur ambitious