Pre-req most useful for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT next June, and I only have room to take either org chem or physic 1 and 2.

I was going to take org chem...but I think that physics 1 and 2 would be better to take in Sept. because it's 50% of PS, whereas org chem is only about 20%??

Basically, WHICH is more important? Organic chem or physics? At least for writing the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

You need both. Don't take the MCAT without finishing your pre-reqs. Furthermore, recent test takers have been noting that they've had three o-chem passages.

Finish your pre-reqs. Not worth taking the chance, sometimes the BS is 50% organic chem, sometimes the PS is more than 50% Physics.

I am taking the MCAT next June, and I only have room to take either org chem or physic 1 and 2.

I was going to take org chem...but I think that physics 1 and 2 would be better to take in Sept. because it's 50% of PS, whereas org chem is only about 20%??

Basically, WHICH is more important? Organic chem or physics? At least for writing the MCAT.
Out of the two physics is more important. However you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you haven't taken any organic. My BS was about 40% organic (3 passages plus discretes). You don't want to be working out of 10 instead of 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
How come you can't fit in both? The amount of organic on BS varies. And the content for both organic and physics is a lot...it'd probably be more time intensive trying to learn it yourself for the mcat for next June than sweating out an extra class or two.

I'd seriously recommend getting all your prereqs in.

Take them both. Almost all pre-meds take multiple pre-reqs at once, you can handle it with good time management. You're going to have to learn it anyways on your own for the MCAT if you're not formally learning it.

Moving to MCAT Discussions.