Pre Req Opt Question about orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ria91491

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so im a junior with a 3.5 gpa and i havent taken the oat yet or anything but i was wondering...i took orgo 2 last summer and i got a C-. At my first choice school, IU, (and im pretty sure at my 2nd choice, ICO as well) orgo 2 isnt required. should i retake it anyway? i dont think im going to retake it but i want some advice. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so im a junior with a 3.5 gpa and i havent taken the oat yet or anything but i was wondering...i took orgo 2 last summer and i got a C-. At my first choice school, IU, (and im pretty sure at my 2nd choice, ICO as well) orgo 2 isnt required. should i retake it anyway? i dont think im going to retake it but i want some advice. thanks!

IF you retake it at the same institution, then the highest grade will be considered! BUT, since your gpa is 3.5 and great, you do not need to retake it, just move on, and focus on the OAT. Orgo2 is not even on the OAT, so move on buddy :)

IF you retake it at the same institution, then the highest grade will be considered! BUT, since your gpa is 3.5 and great, you do not need to retake it, just move on, and focus on the OAT. Orgo2 is not even on the OAT, so move on buddy :)

I think it depends on how universities split up the material...I'm pretty sure Orgo 2 material is on the OAT. Berkeley required Orgo 2 up until this admission cycle for that very reason.

In any case, I wouldn't retake the course. You have a solid GPA and it's not a prereq where you need a specific grade. If you still have any doubt, call the admissions offices for those two schools and ask an adviser what they recommend. They will know what they want as far as admissions better than anyone on here!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only have a C in orgo 2, I wouldn't stress about it and retake it unless they specifically ask about it. Just make sure you have your bases covered when it comes time to prepare for the OATs for orgo. When I took the OAT, I believe some orgo 2 material about aromaticity came up along with a few other concepts/reactions.

yeah thats what i was wondering as well. i looked at some practice tests online and im pretty sure there is orgo 2 online. i definitely understand it so thats no a problem i just got screwed with that class for other reasons haha. thanks so much for your input! and i am only considering retaking it since i did get a C-, i know i wouldnt take it over if i got a C, since thats accepted.

Orgo 2 is definitely on the OAT. However, I didn't take it and did fine in the O-chem portion. I would call or email a representative for the schools you are interested in.