Pre req options career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingjameslbj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the post bac forum but it doesn't seem to be very active on that side, so im posting here for more insight
Alright so i have a few more questions for you guys. Ive applied to a couple post bacs but i started rethinking my situation. I am a liberal arts major with a 3.3 urm so i am career changing. I went to 2 community colleges before the university so i already have 3 transcripts (if that matters). I would be putting myself in a lot of debt for a formal post bacc so i started thinking about alternatives.

1.What if i went for a graduate degree in political science and just did the science pre reqs for med school instead of the other classes. Is this possible? How would schools look at this?
2. Would it be easier to declare a second bachelor and do the same thing mentioned above ^^
3. What if i took the classes at a local community college, do med schools look bad upon this since they are lower division classes? This might not be the best option since it would have to be out of pocket. Im most concerned with getting fin aid.
4. Any other options would be great if anyone has ideas, the major issue is FINANCES.

I just really want to finish my pre reqs quickly and take the mcat. Ive always been strong in sciences. No science classes taken thus far except chem 1 and lab with A's

Thank you in advance people.

Members don't see this ad.

I did 100% science prerequisites at a community college. I got into osteopathic school with no questions asked. I've known two non-URM do the same and get into UCSF and another MD. The only true detriment to community college is that your MCAT will hold much more weight.

Awesome to hear, i may have to consider it. Do you know anything about going into a second bachelors. Is it possible to just get the pre reqs done, dont finish the degree and apply to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted this in the post bac forum but it doesn't seem to be very active on that side, so im posting here for more insight
Alright so i have a few more questions for you guys. Ive applied to a couple post bacs but i started rethinking my situation. I am a liberal arts major with a 3.3 urm so i am career changing. I went to 2 community colleges before the university so i already have 3 transcripts (if that matters). I would be putting myself in a lot of debt for a formal post bacc so i started thinking about alternatives.

1.What if i went for a graduate degree in political science and just did the science pre reqs for med school instead of the other classes. Is this possible? How would schools look at this?
2. Would it be easier to declare a second bachelor and do the same thing mentioned above ^^
3. What if i took the classes at a local community college, do med schools look bad upon this since they are lower division classes? This might not be the best option since it would have to be out of pocket. Im most concerned with getting fin aid.
4. Any other options would be great if anyone has ideas, the major issue is FINANCES.

I just really want to finish my pre reqs quickly and take the mcat. Ive always been strong in sciences. No science classes taken thus far except chem 1 and lab with A's

Thank you in advance people.

So I am gonna tell you what I did, and you might even like it. I have two bachelor degree (answer #2), but one in Biology and one in Nursing. I did 60 of my credits in a community college and that includes about half of my pre-reqs (answer #3). Then I did them over 10 years and in 6 different schools, including 3 community colleges and 3 universities. I was out of school for 9 years before I applied this last year, got 4 interviews, 2 pre interview wait lists, and 2 acceptances. Now you do have to keep in mind that with your situation, GPA, and all you would wanna focus on Osteopathic medical school. Finish your pre-reqs with most A's and very few B's (increase your GPA). Do a lot of different kindsa volunteer activities, medical related and non-medical related. I man knit some sweaters for dogs and find something out of it that you can relate to how it enriched you as a person and would help you as a medical student. Work your behind off for MCATs. Get the best score in MCATs. Apply bread for DO schools (I applied to 18 schools, 6 still haven't answered). What I mean is that you wanna look like a wonderful candidate on the application. When ready to apply, write you personal statement like you won't ever write anything else in your life (But please no lies in it). Don't worry about your age (I will be 42 when I stat this year). Be smart with your finance, if you are paying go to community college. You can do it. God bless you.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome to hear, i may have to consider it. Do you know anything about going into a second bachelors. Is it possible to just get the pre reqs done, dont finish the degree and apply to med school?
Yes, that is fine.

Thanks for posting. I understand the confusion. It sounds like you are doing what is necessary.

Last edited:
You might not get a full financial aid package if you go to a CC for your prereqs, but you can get loans. Those loans will be tiny in comparison to the cost of going elsewhere. A full year at my local CC is only $3,600, about a tenth of what it would cost to go to our big state school or a twentieth of the cost of a formal post-bac at one of the prestigious private universities. You've got the URM advantage on your side. If you couple that with acing some CC prerequisite courses, you should get into an MD school, and if not, could easily get into a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
You might not get a full financial aid package if you go to a CC for your prereqs, but you can get loans. Those loans will be tiny in comparison to the cost of going elsewhere. A full year at my local CC is only $3,600, about a tenth of what it would cost to go to our big state school or a twentieth of the cost of a formal post-bac at one of the prestigious private universities. You've got the URM advantage on your side. If you couple that with acing some CC prerequisite courses, you should get into an MD school, and if not, could easily get into a DO school.

Thanks for the advice. I actually start Hofstra's program in the summer. I got into NYU's program as well but they wouldn't give me enough loan money. Hofstra put me in as a graduate student so i should have enough funds to finish.