About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Pre req plan in light of 2015 MCAT

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by skico, Jul 9, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. skico

skico

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello all,

I was originally planning on starting my post bac full time in spring 2014 with the hopes of applying 2015. I've saved up enough money so that I'll have to work part time at most or not at all for a particular semester. My original plan plan looked like so:

Spring 2014: Bio I + lab, Chem I + lab
    Summer 2014: Bio II +lab, Chem II + lab (this summer would be rough but i could leave out one of the labs if necessary.
    Fall 2014: Ochem I + lab, Physics I + lab
    Spring 2015: Ochem II + lab, Physics II + lab
    MCAT June or July 2015 and apply for matriculation in 2016.

That is a pretty aggressive schedule but since I wont be working much, it seems totally doable while volunteering and shadowing.

However, after reading into the changes in the 2015, I think I would definitely have to take biochem before sitting for the MCAT. But where could I fit it in? I was a psych major in college (almost 10 years go) so I dont feel the need to take the psych and soc classes.

I was thinking it would make sense to take biochem instead of ochem II and then just take care of that during the glide year. Is Ochem a pre req for biochem? Will having to take biochem prior to the mcat make the 2015 application cycle impossible for me?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. edgerock24

edgerock24

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Start in the Fall instead:
    Fall 13 Bio 1 / Chem 1
    Spring 14: Bio 2 / Chem 2
    Summer 14: Orgo 1 & 2
    Fall 14: Physics 1 + Biochem
    Spring 15: Physics 2 / Begin MCAT studying
    Take MCAT in Summer 15 between May - July if you feel comfortable and then apply.
  3. skico

skico

I wish that were an option but I'm trying not to leave work until this december so I can get some savings accumulated. Unfortunately, it is the kind of job that doesn't leave room for any classes, so I'm stuck starting next spring. Since I'll be in school full time, perhaps this schedule would work:

spring 14: bio + chem + phys 1 w/ labs
    summer 14: bio + chem 2 w/ labs
    fall 14 orgo 1 + phys 2 w/ labs
    spring 15 orgo 2 + biochem
    MCAT in June/July

The spring 14 course load would be rough but I think since I'll be leaving my job, that I could still handle it while making good grades. Has anyone taken a similar course load?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. Psychonergic

Psychonergic

Pre-Medical
    That's a good question about the course load...don't feel alone, this Fall I'm taking A&P, Gen Chem 1, and Physics 1. Should be fun, right?
  5. survivordo

survivordo Gettin' through it

Resident [Any Field]
    Not to be a cynic but this course load doesn't look all that bad... most undergrads take at least two science courses a semester plus all the other BS to fulfill a liberal arts degree. I think you can absolutely work Biochem in someone, depending on where you are doing this it might come down to when you can schedule it more than anything else.

Survivor DO
  6. skico

skico

That is exactly what I was thinking. Back in undergrad--10 some odd years ago--I had no problems taking 15 hours while partying and skiing on the weekends and ending school with a 3.6. I suppose my only hesitation these days is the incredible importance of As but having been through law school, taking the bar and practicing as an attorney, I'm not worried about being able to put in the work. I AM worried that I may be underestimating the time commitment of 3 principle sciences with labs though.

Is there anyway to add a third class to Fall 2014? I'm looking at it and I just dont see how its possible but I would love to have only 1 class during spring 2015 so that I could potentially take the mcat earlier.
  7. edgerock24

edgerock24

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Why are you taking A&P? Seems unnecessary and not required.
  8. Psychonergic

Psychonergic

Pre-Medical
    Though not a formal requirement, it was recommended to me by a dean. I am actually looking forward to my class schedule for the Fall, just unsure how much time 3 lab/lectures will take for studying.
  9. darwinmed

darwinmed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    To be honest, I think it depends on what school you're attending. At some schools it would be very doable. At others, you would most certainly not emerge with a 4.0. At some schools labs are kind of rolled into the lecture classes so if you're on top of your game in lecture, you will do fine in lab. At others, they are totally different beasts and are like having another 3-credit lecture in another subject. So it's really difficult to say if it's doable.
  10. GasDreams

GasDreams

Pre-Medical
    A&P is a blast and I don't care what anyone says it can only help during gross anatomy. Marginally sure, but help nonetheless. Besides look at all the websites that have recommended extra bio courses and A&P is always one of them along with microbiology( perk of being a non-trad nurse is already have taken these!)
  11. TravelingRunner

TravelingRunner iLurk

Pre-Medical
    Skico: I'm taking the following schedule. I should say I've already had GenChem Iⅈ I'm retaking it for a better grade (C's the first time through) and for a refresher because I had them 12 years ago. :)

Spring 2014: Chem I & Lab, Physics I & Lab, Chem II & Lab
    Summer 2014: Orgo I & Lab
    Fall 2014: Orgo II & Lab, Physics II & Lab
    Spring 2015: Biochem

I've also got a bunch of other science and research classes in there, as I'm doing a B.S. in biology. You can do it.

I figure I'll take the MCAT in April, which will mean I have almost the full semester of biochem. It ought to be enough to make it.
  12. TravelingRunner

TravelingRunner iLurk

Pre-Medical
    Agreed - I had a lot of fun in A&P. Pathophysiology was also so much fun!
  13. GasDreams

GasDreams

Pre-Medical
    Good lord pathophysiology was a brain f#*^k! Curious though, which do you think is harder, biochemistry or pathophysiology?
  14. skico

skico

Fortunately I have a friend who just went through his post bacc here in town and can give me some first hand insight into what the classes are like around here. Also, I just realized that I probably wont need to take the physics labs. I already took physics 1 and 2 + labs in undergrad and I was planning on taking them again as a refresher but surely I wont need the labs.
  15. GasDreams

GasDreams

Pre-Medical
    You mentioned the courses being greater than 10 years old correct? Schools may require you to retake both lecture and lab. Just a thought
  16. skico

skico

I was worried about that. I would shoot primarily for Texas schools or Colorado and it doesn't look like either of them have a 10 year limit. I might need to look around to other places to see who has that limit.