Pre req plan in light of 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skico

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Start in the Fall instead:
Fall 13 Bio 1 / Chem 1
Spring 14: Bio 2 / Chem 2
Summer 14: Orgo 1 & 2
Fall 14: Physics 1 + Biochem
Spring 15: Physics 2 / Begin MCAT studying
Take MCAT in Summer 15 between May - July if you feel comfortable and then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish that were an option but I'm trying not to leave work until this december so I can get some savings accumulated. Unfortunately, it is the kind of job that doesn't leave room for any classes, so I'm stuck starting next spring. Since I'll be in school full time, perhaps this schedule would work:

spring 14: bio + chem + phys 1 w/ labs
summer 14: bio + chem 2 w/ labs
fall 14 orgo 1 + phys 2 w/ labs
spring 15 orgo 2 + biochem
MCAT in June/July

The spring 14 course load would be rough but I think since I'll be leaving my job, that I could still handle it while making good grades. Has anyone taken a similar course load?

That's a good question about the course load...don't feel alone, this Fall I'm taking A&P, Gen Chem 1, and Physics 1. Should be fun, right?

Not to be a cynic but this course load doesn't look all that bad... most undergrads take at least two science courses a semester plus all the other BS to fulfill a liberal arts degree. I think you can absolutely work Biochem in someone, depending on where you are doing this it might come down to when you can schedule it more than anything else.

Survivor DO

That's a good question about the course load...don't feel alone, this Fall I'm taking A&P, Gen Chem 1, and Physics 1. Should be fun, right?

Why are you taking A&P? Seems unnecessary and not required.

Though not a formal requirement, it was recommended to me by a dean. I am actually looking forward to my class schedule for the Fall, just unsure how much time 3 lab/lectures will take for studying.

To be honest, I think it depends on what school you're attending. At some schools it would be very doable. At others, you would most certainly not emerge with a 4.0. At some schools labs are kind of rolled into the lecture classes so if you're on top of your game in lecture, you will do fine in lab. At others, they are totally different beasts and are like having another 3-credit lecture in another subject. So it's really difficult to say if it's doable.

A&P is a blast and I don't care what anyone says it can only help during gross anatomy. Marginally sure, but help nonetheless. Besides look at all the websites that have recommended extra bio courses and A&P is always one of them along with microbiology( perk of being a non-trad nurse is already have taken these!)

Skico: I'm taking the following schedule. I should say I've already had GenChem Iⅈ I'm retaking it for a better grade (C's the first time through) and for a refresher because I had them 12 years ago. :)

Spring 2014: Chem I & Lab, Physics I & Lab, Chem II & Lab
Summer 2014: Orgo I & Lab
Fall 2014: Orgo II & Lab, Physics II & Lab
Spring 2015: Biochem

I've also got a bunch of other science and research classes in there, as I'm doing a B.S. in biology. You can do it.

I figure I'll take the MCAT in April, which will mean I have almost the full semester of biochem. It ought to be enough to make it.

A&P is a blast and I don't care what anyone says it can only help during gross anatomy. Marginally sure, but help nonetheless. Besides look at all the websites that have recommended extra bio courses and A&P is always one of them along with microbiology( perk of being a non-trad nurse is already have taken these!)

Agreed - I had a lot of fun in A&P. Pathophysiology was also so much fun!

Agreed - I had a lot of fun in A&P. Pathophysiology was also so much fun!

Good lord pathophysiology was a brain f#*^k! Curious though, which do you think is harder, biochemistry or pathophysiology?

Fortunately I have a friend who just went through his post bacc here in town and can give me some first hand insight into what the classes are like around here. Also, I just realized that I probably wont need to take the physics labs. I already took physics 1 and 2 + labs in undergrad and I was planning on taking them again as a refresher but surely I wont need the labs.

You mentioned the courses being greater than 10 years old correct? Schools may require you to retake both lecture and lab. Just a thought