"Pre-reqs" after application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njc24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a timeline question...I have just always assumed due to the chemistry series that I would have to take a gap year in between undergrad and medical school. However, as I have thought more on my necessary coursework I have come up with a scenario in which I would be eliminate my gap year IF and only IF it is possible to complete pre-reqs after application. So what I'm wondering is if it is feasible to substitute Orgo 2 with Biochem this spring and take the MCAT next summer to apply for Fall 2018 matriculation. In order for this possibility to feasible I would not be taking physics until after he MCAT and application. Can you apply with required courses still to take??????

Members don't see this ad.

Can you apply with required courses still to take??????

Yes, as long as you have completed most of your pre-reqs and will finish the missing courses before matriculation. Still, call the respective schools to make sure.

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely apply without having completed all of the prereqs. (You must have them completed before school starts.) Keep in mind, though, that Physics is covered on the MCAT even if only to a relatively small extent. Also, schools will want to see as many of your grades as possible in order to evaluate you as a candidate. How many prereqs will you be missing when you apply?

I'm honestly not sure how not having taken Physics when you apply will be received... I second the above advice that you should contact schools you're interested in applying to. It may not be an issue but it is certainly better to apply with most if not all prereqs completed.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have to question how med schools would view your actions, why is it still an option? It seems like you just want to eliminate a gap year. But if your application isn't well received, you've still wasted the year and spent all that money applying. Take the long way. This is a marathon not a sprint.