Pre-reqs: Am I missing anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dajimmers

Hedgehog!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me say that I'm planning on contacting all the schools I've applied to to see if they individually require anything more from me, but I wondered if any SNDers would know anything from experience...

I'm a Microbiology/Physiology dual-degree student. I had AP bio, chem, english, stats, and calc (AB) credit entering college. I obviously have alternative bio classes, took calc II, and have one English class in college as well as several other "writing" classes (philosophy), and have scheduled another English class next year. I took physics in college. So my questions center mostly around chem:

I have 2 semesters orgo, 1 semester of lab --> 8 credits.
AP credit in chem --> 7 or 8 credits, including 1 for a lab.
chem lab 2 taken in college --> 1 credit.
pchem I taken in college --> 3 credits.

Do I need another chem class or lab? Some schools say that they require chem credit outside of AP classes, specifically "two semesters with lab". Also, might that fact that I have a 3.96 BCPM GPA and 13 MCAT PS score provide me with any help if I do need more?

Thanks for any help, just trying to avoid any last minute classes thrown in next spring/summer.

Members don't see this ad.

this is such an obscure question that i really would just say ask the schools (even though you say you're already doing that)

seems to me that you fine...your science background appears more than sufficient, and your gpa and mcat evidence this. once again, though, some schools have such nitpicky clauses about the core sciences. check up with them.

you're gonna be a great candidate! good luck.

Yeah, I know, and I'm in the process of doing that. I'm just wondering if anyone has specific instances where core prereqs came back and hurt them.

I was interested in Harvard's HST program, but the diff eq and calc-based physics requirements are probably going to be too much for me to bother taking them for a program that I'm only somewhat interested in.

Thanks for the support.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do not have all the requirements, will schools still look at you and accept you on the basis that you will complete those courses before school starts?

DrMike24 said:
If you do not have all the requirements, will schools still look at you and accept you on the basis that you will complete those courses before school starts?

absolutely. i haven't finished physics yet, but have indicated that i'll take it in the fall, so no problem there.

wetlightning said:
absolutely. i haven't finished physics yet, but have indicated that i'll take it in the fall, so no problem there.

You haven't finished physics? How did you take the MCAT?

i would say just sign up for a semester of o chem lab next year that way you don't have to worry about whether or not you meet the requirements.

abraxas said:
i would say just sign up for a semester of o chem lab next year that way you don't have to worry about whether or not you meet the requirements.

But I HATE chemistry.

dajimmers said:
But I HATE chemistry.

i sympathize just say you will take it in the spring and if you get accepted to a school in the fall that doesn't require you to take it then your fine and dandy just don't take it but this way you have a chance at a school that would require that you take it.

dajimmers said:
But I HATE chemistry.
A few schools require or "strongly encourage" applicants to take a biochem class. I'm pretty sure you have that covered, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness.

dajimmers said:
First, let me say that I'm planning on contacting all the schools I've applied to to see if they individually require anything more from me, but I wondered if any SNDers would know anything from experience...

I'm a Microbiology/Physiology dual-degree student. I had AP bio, chem, english, stats, and calc (AB) credit entering college. I obviously have alternative bio classes, took calc II, and have one English class in college as well as several other "writing" classes (philosophy), and have scheduled another English class next year. I took physics in college. So my questions center mostly around chem:

I have 2 semesters orgo, 1 semester of lab --> 8 credits.
AP credit in chem --> 7 or 8 credits, including 1 for a lab.
chem lab 2 taken in college --> 1 credit.
pchem I taken in college --> 3 credits.

Do I need another chem class or lab? Some schools say that they require chem credit outside of AP classes, specifically "two semesters with lab". Also, might that fact that I have a 3.96 BCPM GPA and 13 MCAT PS score provide me with any help if I do need more?

Thanks for any help, just trying to avoid any last minute classes thrown in next spring/summer.

Harvard doesn't accept AP credit in chemistry -- you must either take the full year of inorganic chemistry with lab, or upper-level inorganic chemistry courses with lab (biochem, of course, does not count).

I have no problem with biochem, and I've had two semesters of it. I took pchem b/c its required for my major (Microbiology). I just don't like mundane inorganic chem, and my experience in orgo lab was not great, but otherwise I didn't hate the class.

Harvard and Yale already got back to me (I'm impressed!), they both said I've met all their requirements. Since Harvard has among the most stringent requirements, I think I'll be fine after all. I am still double-checking w/ my other schools just to make sure, however.

pchem required for a microbiology major???????????????? that's scary.

Where I live nothing beyond organic chem and biochem 1 are required.

The types of higher level classes that are required are upper level microbio classes such as immunology, medical mycology, bacteriology, microbial physiology, virology, mycology, water borne pathogens, environmental microbiology, etc.