pre-reqs for pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a non-traditional student that hasn't taken math or chem. since high school which was about 14 years ago. As a freshman in my 2nd semester at a community college, I've already taken elementary algebra 1 1st semester and begining part 2 the fall of this year. I would like to start my science pre-reqs for med. school at a 4yr school, in my sophmore year and hopefully complete them by late junior year. An advisor from one of the two 4yr. colleges i'm applying to informed me that I had to be at a calculus level math before i can even begin to take the chem. and phyics pre-reqs. At the same time, another advisor from the other school i'm appling to told me all i would need to begin the chem. and the physics courses are some 2 week prep courses their school is offering. At this rate i do not know which advisor to listen to. I fear that because i am on such a low level in math that it would take me years to enter a calculus level math and as a result of that, not be able to complete my pre-reqs until my senior year if i am lucky. I'm also worried that if i don't take the calculus level math that i might do horrible in the chem. and phys. courses. Is this a unique situation? Or has anyone shared a similar experience and is willing to offer some advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely do not need calculus for General Chemistry. If your school requires calculus-based physics (and I can't think of too many schools that have this requirement), then calculus is a co-req not usually a pre-req for General Physics. The only chemistry course that I needed calculus for was Physical Chemistry, which, you would not take unless you decided to major in chemistry. In that case, you would have a couple of years to get your calculus done before P. Chem. While useful, (and I was a chemistry major) outside of P.Chem, I didn't NEED calculus.

You need to have a strong working ability in College Algebra/Trig for General Chemistry and non-calc General Physics. Check with the schools that you are interested in applying to and see specifically what they want in terms of math. If you are deficient, then get your math up to par so that you can be ready for calculus if needed.

If you are at a community college, you are in a perfect situation to take the math (from the developmental stages through calculus) so that you will be prepared for your university studies. Good luck and talk to a couple of folks in the Chemistry and Physics Department (the professors teaching prospective courses) could give you more perspective as to how much math you NEED.