About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Reqs in Community College

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by ambiti0n, Jun 27, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    How do pod schools feel about pre reqs in pod school? I know for applying MD it is discouraged a lot....

Also do pod schools care if I take pre reqs online? As in do Pod applications make you check if you took a course online?
  2. RockFoot

RockFoot

Podiatry Student
    they dont care, I did A&P and ochem at a CC and they didnt bat an eye

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile
  3. MaxillofacialMN

MaxillofacialMN Osteopathic Foot Dentist

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Truth.
  4. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical
    So if i took all the pre reqs at the CC and then just finished all Business classes at the 4 year there shouldn't be a problem?

I really want to be able to apply on time..
  5. RockFoot

RockFoot

Podiatry Student
    sounds good to me

6. andrew3

andrew3

Pre-Podiatry
    if only i knew i wanted to go into podiatric medicine before...would have saved so much money lol
  7. RockFoot

RockFoot

Podiatry Student
    I have the same thought daily

8. SuperFeisty

SuperFeisty

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The impression I got was that they don't mind if you took a few courses at a CC. But if you take all of them, there might be some question marks about you being able to handle the workload.
  9. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical
    When do most take the mcat and when do they start to apply for school?
  10. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry
    I took the MCAT May 19, and will be applying this August.
  11. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical
    What year are you?
  12. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry
    Senior now, in undergrad. So I am starting my last year of ug this August, while also applying for a seat in Fall of 2013, next year.
  13. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical
    ok thanks and is this what most do?
  14. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you don't want any time between undergrad and pod school, apply late summer/early fall of senior year for best chances.
  15. ambiti0n

ambiti0n

Pre-Medical
    So do Pod Schools send out secondaries and do they ask you if classes were taken online?
  16. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No secondaries.
  17. daarango

daarango

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  18. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have spoken with several advisers regarding this and they have all told me the same thing. They said pod admissions want to see classes from a four year university. I was at a community college and doing very well while saving a ton of money but had to transfer to a bigger school I can barely afford. sucks!
  19. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Some schools are actually not that expensive 5k per year is not to bad 4 Unis in my state have that price tag, And I really hope this person did not tell you that you had to retake or not to take your Pre reqs will at the CC because that is just not true.

I mean I have not applied or anything yet but I am at a CC and plan to transfer with an Associate arts next year with Bio and Chem 1 and 2 completed, I have done a ton of research and all signs point to the fact that Pod schools/Dent Schools/Med Schools do not care where you got your pre reqs done at.

The problem is when you leave your UNI. to take CC pre req classes Furthermore through my research it does not look like "O you went to a CC you better have a 4.0" no grades are grades if you meet average you have a shot.

And Darango thats a great link but it doesnt cover CC I assume you used it for the other Q's.
  20. Cascade11

Cascade11

Pre-Podiatry
    While I have read from med school websites that they don't care where you did your pre-reqs but my adviser said that because on the popular opinion that community college is considered easier than a 4 yr institution, your scores will be looked at with a grain of salt. Of course there isn't a formula saying CC grade - .5 = university grade. And on this forum, I think it doesn't matter since average GPA is low to begin with.
  21. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got a little lost in that because im at work and trying to multi task. but what you are saying is it does not matter where you take prereqs?? I had a 3.8 at CC and feel very confident I could bring that up over the next two years because that was done while working nights and full time. I was hoping I could stay at the CC because it was half as cheap. I went from paying 4k a year to 10.5k a year. Could i still take some of my classes at the CC while taking some at the bigger university?

I am going to see if I can dig up the email where I was told that.
  22. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Okay here is what I found. Turns out I was partially wrong and didnt read the emails all the way through.

From my advisor at Scholl:

"I understand the reasoning to take the classes at the community college. The Admissions Committee does like to see some of the science coursework at a university level however, they do not discount the community college coursework.

If you can, take some of the science courses at the community college and then a few at the university level to show that you can handle the coursework.

Let me know if you have any questions!"

And from AZPod

"We accept community college credit, we will accept the classes"

then I asked if it would hurt my chances if I took ALL classes at a CC and they responded:

"No"

So i am so confused. Would it be in my benefit to take some more classes at the CC but go ahead and at least finish this Fall semester at my University?

If possible the no brainer decsion financially for me is to do CC because I am completely finaincailly independent from my parents and have been since I was 17 so if I can save ~$5k I mean why not. Especiallysince I am not getting a degree but just completeing my 90 hrs.

What are your thoughts.

Sorry if I jacked the thread but wanted to shed some light on all of this.

I am most interested in Scholl and Des Moines..
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  23. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

BTR like I said CC= no prob however when you take CC classes while getting your Ugrad at a University it raises a red flag. Mind you in pod school this red flag will be little more than a Q at an interview (I assume through research not personal experience). In my position starting at a CC for 2 years doing 2 pre req sequences and finishing at a Uni. supposedly is no big deal.

I have heard in many places and I even posted a article it may be on the Course Structure thread where it was stated that doing a Post Bac at a CC for your pre reqs or otherwise is acceptable. So yes I would say that it will not hurt you to take your classes at a CC to save the money just be ready to explain it in an interview (no biggie really). I know how it is to be independent and money is tight, I live by the philosophy that if you know you will do well take out a loan(be smart about it though) and ACE EVERYTHING.
    Just dont stop going to school whatever you do.
  24. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I mean it is not too late for me to just do CC this year and drop the university. Then maybe finish at my university next year? Would that look better? I figure I can get all my chemistry, and orgo out of the way at CC then finish everything else I have left at my university next year.
  25. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Whatever floats your Canoe, my only thing would be that it is rather late to register for CC now unless you already have everything in order. At my school students are registering right now (taking up all the classes). Also droping the Uni. to me just does not seem right I would rip somones arm off to be at a Uni. right now (JK) so if I were you I would finish the year at the uni and maybe take the final classes at the CC but dont cut through the midddle of Ugrad (it would look better if you finished Ugrad then did postbac at CC than to cut through Ugrad thats what I was saying raises a flag). (Note I said it would look better but thats about it thats not to say you wont get in doing what you suggested).

Bottom line if you do well in your classes it honestly wont matter much at all when where how ECT.:thumbup:goodluck.
  26. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I dont understad. cut through undergrad?

Also I do not plan to get a bachelors degree, just to get my 90hrs and all the prereqs. So you think I should go ahead and do this year or semester at university and finish at CC? That would be better than just to keep doing CC and finish at university.
  27. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

I feel like a pirate and im not even at ECU yet(if you get it you will LOL).

Its tough for me to answer that since I dont know what you are currenlty doing what Uni you attend what year you are in and what pre reqs you have yet to complete. I will clarify cut through Ugrad, when I said this I meant you dont want to leav after say sophmore year and do CC for a year then go back to Uni and complete. Of course you can do this and still get into pod school provided your grades are good but it raises one of those crimson flags(Like I said no real biggie).

Since you are going for 90 hours I will say noooo finish your bachelors, I say this because you will have to wait a year to get into pod school anyway and they would much prefer you to be an active student than just say working a day job before pod school. Take out loans and grind like never before "Debt is mandatory in this profession" you may as well take it on and put yourself in the best position to get into pod school.

Lastly pod admissions are not nearly as strict as MD/DO/Ect(not to say those are better because thats just not true) so Pod schools wont turn down a student with good stats because he had some "hop around college credits". In the end they will look at your 3.3+ gpa and your 25+ mcat(im assuming you will score this or better) and admit you, they may ask about the CC at an interview but who care. (**ALERT**I am not In pod school nor have I been through the process this is just my advice based on research**ALERT**)

You sound like you care about your future alot (LIKE ME) so whatever you put your effort into you will do fine bro 100%.
  28. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for all the info my man! I care so much, I work extremely hard and nothing is getting in the way of my goal. I take that mentality into every aspect of life. I set a goal for myself and its not a matter of IF I am going to reach it just a matter of WHEN. Thats the way I operate every single day of my life.

One last question.. Why would I have to wait a year for pod school with 90hrs. That is the only reason I was wanting to do 90hrs because I know I want to be a pod and nothing is going to stop me so the bachelors would be somewhat useless and it would allow me to get to pod school faster (or at least i thought)

Thanks again man and good luck in your journey.
  29. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Well if you have all of your pre reqs done in the first two years(or only have 1or 2 left to complete while you apply) then yes you will be able to finish your third year (90hrs) and sail right into pod school the following year without a gap year. However if you do not finish your pre reqs and Mcat ect. until your 3rd year is up you will not be a strong applicant in your 2nd year.

Essentially you must apply the year before you plan to matriculate, but with pod school and the rolling admissions you could apply in feburary and get an acceptance(dont go that route though chances are slim). Im sure you knew that but like I said I dont know your credentials your Uni. what year you are in exct. im not even sure if you have taken any classes yet.

Stay dedicated your mind set alone makes you a force to be reckoned with (stuff liek that shine through at interviews as well) there are so many people that lack that and they are ones you see falling of for unexplained reasons.
  30. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got ya! Ya I am in my sophomore year right now but only have 30 hrs.. had to work full time and some nights my first year but you have to do what you have to do. Still have a 3.8 and am now ready to kill the rest of undergrad.. I should have all 90 credits by May 14'. Will that be a good time to apply or probably not?

My overall goal is to be in Pod school by Fall of 14'. I could take summer classes i suppose to speed that up.

With 30 hrs now is Fall of 14' a realistic goal if I went the 90 hr route?

Best,

B
  31. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

What pre reqs have you taken and how will you go from 30 to 90 credits in 1or2 semesters unless your talking about may of 2014. Also dont rush it man I know you have a money is tight issue right now I dealt with the same thing I worked two jobs and had to walk to and from work and school pulling 32 hours a week each job and managing a solid GPA (Barely). revel in the fact that you are inevitably going to your goal and dont jump on your sword in such a hurry A wise man told me about a bull on top of a hill lol Ill save that story.

But adressing your Q if you finish all Pre reqs,90hrs, and 22+ Mcat (and dont forget to shadow a pod) you can apply in august or mid july that is when the cycle opens. But this will be applying for the following year of pod school you see so fall and spring of 2013 and2014 will be idol time for you. If you try to apply in may for that fall (why not I guess) You could get an acceptance but this will take some research on your part some schools will still be trying to fill seats others will be booked solid find who needs a seat filled and apply never know maybe youll get right in. (So yes you can do that)
  32. BTR1208

BTR1208

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ya I will have my 90 hours by May of 2014. Might be able to get it done by December 13 if I work hard during the summer. Which schools usually have trouble filling seats?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  33. ilovefeet

ilovefeet

Pre-Podiatry
    nice thread.

i was having the same concerns because i am taking some classes at the CC.
    I honestly think that if you do well at the CC level and well on your MCAT as well, you've proven yourself to be a great candidate for pod school.