Pre-reqs Question W or C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kianis28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been doing so well in some of my pre-reqs lately and after talking to my professor (Anatomy & Physiology course and I'm getting a C in the class) she told me if I don't want the C the only other thing she can do for me is let me finish the class and she'll give me a W at the end of the semester, that way when I re-take the class I should be able to easily get a better grade. The thing is I have been having a lot of issues with my transcript and I currently have 3 Cs and 2 Ws on my transcript already. I know i'm definitely going to have to re take some courses. I just wanted to get other opinions on whether or not I should take the C or the W- or if it'll even make a difference for that matter. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't been doing so well in some of my pre-reqs lately and after talking to my professor (Anatomy & Physiology course and I'm getting a C in the class) she told me if I don't want the C the only other thing she can do for me is let me finish the class and she'll give me a W at the end of the semester, that way when I re-take the class I should be able to easily get a better grade. The thing is I have been having a lot of issues with my transcript and I currently have 3 Cs and 2 Ws on my transcript already. I know i'm definitely going to have to re take some courses. I just wanted to get other opinions on whether or not I should take the C or the W- or if it'll even make a difference for that matter. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

First, what is your overall gpa right now? In my experience, I would rather take a C's than a W because....it happens to me twice. When I took that W and retake the class, I still didn't get B or A. I would just take a C's and move on. I got couple C's in my pre-req, but most of my GE classes I had an A. My last year and half, I got all A's in my science pre-req classes. I felt like having a couple C's is okay, but you have to start your upward trends and try to get all A's in your pre-req classes from now on. Also, make sure have some pharmacy experience if you don't have some already. GPA is not everything..... As long as you keep your overall gpa around 3.00, decent PCAT (75 and above), work experience, pharmacy experience, leadership skill....etc... I think you will be okay. My GPA is around 3.08 and low PCAT score, but I got 6+ years work experience that is not relate to pharmacy. I also very involved with school clubs, leadership program, volunteer at student clinic etc... I got 5 interviews in this cycle and got accepted to one of the pharmacy school. So don't give up! Hope this help!

Taking a W on a few courses is not an issue. Just make sure it doesn't become a habit or trend. Do you feel like you could make a better grade the next time? I hope you said yes. A&p is kind of its own beast & requires some new study tactics you may not have perfected right away. Make sure you identify why you were unable to perform at an A/B level before you retake. From what I understand, having a strong foundation with undergrad a&p is important for your future studies. Perhaps this is an opportunity to buckle down & get to know the material really well. In my experience, 3 ws are not a big deal (again, as long as it doesn't become habit), but recovering a good gpa is. If you take the c, then try to offset with a class with same credit hours & an a grade, you still only offset to a 3.0 (considering those classes alone). One c shouldn't break you, but it has more of an impact than a w.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk